Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, for us delay nuts it means easy access to 4 separate delay settings - or even 8 w/ dual delay. And that's not using the multidelay!

How is echo regeneration (feedback) "spillover" handled between the X and Y settings: if X is a 500 ms delay with 60% feedback, switching to Y with a 100ms slapback with 5% feedback? Do the regenerations of X "spillover" into Y when Y is engaged, or does Y cut off those regenerations?

Only the most used blocks have this feature. It's simply a second set of parameters that gets loaded. The best analogy is a two-channel head. You can use only one channel at a time.

Example, you set Drive1:X to be a Tube OD and Drive1:Y to be a PI Fuzz. Each has its own Drive, Tone, etc. You switch between the two using either the X/Y buttons or your MIDI controller.

Also...BRILLIANT!

Awesome ... even more than I was I hoping for! Final question, does the X/Y require two footswitch buttons, or just one?

I think this matters on the Footcontroller .... i think you exchange hte X/Y state via CC values ...

e.g.:

SWITCH1 = AMP1 -> CC10 for Bypass and CC11 (X-mode) and CC12 (Y-mode) i would do that with two switches to manage which amp is actually on and in which mode = 4 switches .... minimal two ... (for 4-channel mode)

SWITCH2 = AMP2 -> CC20 for Bypass ..... etc. ...

How is echo regeneration (feedback) "spillover" handled between the X and Y settings: if X is a 500 ms delay with 60% feedback, switching to Y with a 100ms slapback with 5% feedback? Do the regenerations of X "spillover" into Y when Y is engaged, or does Y cut off those regenerations?

I messed with it a bit this morning. No spillover. Like changing all the parameters at once but no glitchiness, it seem to work well.

Last edited:

I bet it has to cut, `cause its just the same delay block either X or Y ... if in your example the X setting with 500ms will work also on it would be the same, as if two delay blocks calculating at the same time ... hmmm?

I think this matters on the Footcontroller .... i think you exchange hte X/Y state via CC values ...

e.g.:

SWITCH1 = AMP1 -> CC10 for Bypass and CC11 (X-mode) and CC12 (Y-mode) i would do that with two switches to manage which amp is actually on and in which mode = 4 switches .... minimal two ... (for 4-channel mode)

SWITCH2 = AMP2 -> CC20 for Bypass ..... etc. ...

Separate CC for bypass and X/Y. You would need two switches: one for bypass and one for X/Y. The MFC will have all this built-in. You simply select what you want the button to do.

Can the X/Y be used to have identical blocks as far as their type (meaning the X is a Rat drive and the Y is a Rat drive) but different settings (so X has the treble set to 6.5 and Y has the treble set to 6.8 )? I would like to use this feature to have a patch where I can use X for recording and Y for live, with slight differences between the settings on some blocks.

Thanks!

Can the X/Y be used to have identical blocks as far as their type (meaning the X is a Rat drive and the Y is a Rat drive) but different settings (so X has the treble set to 6.5 and Y has the treble set to 6.8 )? I would like to use this feature to have a patch where I can use X for recording and Y for live, with slight differences between the settings on some blocks.

Thanks!

Yes.

Example, you set Drive1:X to be a Tube OD and Drive1:Y to be a PI Fuzz. Each has its own Drive, Tone, etc. You switch between the two using either the X/Y buttons or your MIDI controller.

Excellent example....this feature is very cool!

Thanks!

Yes man!!!!

Think about Cliffs statement:
[...]It's simply a second set of parameters that gets loaded. [...]

I messed with it a bit this morning. No spillover. Like changing all the parameters at once but no glitchiness, it seem to work well.

I see, this is a hard switch between 2 settings of the same block instance of a Delay or Reverb, and this does not allow for smooth transition of X to Y via an expression pedal - just On/Off behavior, right?

I see, this is a hard switch between 2 settings of the same block instance of a Delay or Reverb, and this does not allow for smooth transition of X to Y via an expression pedal - just On/Off behavior, right?

Thats is correct. Like Cliff stated earlier. Think like an amp channel switch.

Wait, I'm slightly confused here. Obviously it's possible to do this with the floorboard:
BUTTON 1 = AMP1 X/Y
BUTTON 2 = AMP2 X/Y

Where every time you step on BUTTON 1, the system bypasses AMP2 and engages AMP1 and then cycles between the X and Y settings, and does the opposite every time you step on BUTTON 2.

But is it also possible at all to configure 4 separate buttons on the floorboard like this:
BUTTON 1 = AMP1 X
BUTTON 2 = AMP1 Y
BUTTON 3 = AMP2 X
BUTTON 4 = AMP2 Y

where every button press both bypasses the *other* AMP block and engages its own corresponding amp block and letter setting?

Last edited:
The idea behind X/Y is that people often have multiple distortion/chorus/delay/etc. pedals on their board but they rarely have more than one on at a time. So rather than creating more instances of effects, which sucks up CPU, have each instance capable of more than one sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom