Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The brochure states that there are two processors in the Axe-Fx II, one being entirely dedicated to processing amp blocks, and the other for everything else.

So according to that, placing two amps blocks in a patch shouldn't decrease your available CPU load at all. It should remain exactly the same as it was before you added them, since the amp blocks themselves use their very own, independent processing resource.

Unless dsp 1 + dsp 2 = total resources
I've not looked closely.
Just numbers though, principle is the same.

This is terrific, and major advancement in usability.
As Morph writes, this does away with the need for extra presets for additional amps.
We can have V30 presets, with 4 amps for that cab. Etc. etc.
No need to duplicate specific effects presets for other amps etc.

As far as the CPU meter goes each amp block uses around 2%. There's overhead of moving the data back-and-forth.

This is terrific, and major advancement in usability.
As Morph writes, this does away with the need for extra presets for additional amps.
We can have V30 presets, with 4 amps for that cab. Etc. etc.
No need to duplicate specific effects presets for other amps etc.

Yeah, lets program some "SIGNATURE RIGs"... and these rigs are no Bankfiles ... they are presets!!! ! A John Frusciante Rig (2x plexi+Fender and all pedals), a U2 the Edge Rig, ... etc ... hm??? Think about you playin in a cover band .... lol

I'll ask again, as it didn't get answered earlier - dos the II impliment full spillover between programs?

Cliff says: Spillover identical to Ultra .... research in the Technical thread, if you need the correct wording of his answer ...

since the Axe II is sending MIDI over USB, the attached computer's OS will recognize the Axe II MIDI ports and allow programs like Ableton Live to see and "learn" button presses from the MFC-101, correct?

since the Axe II is sending MIDI over USB, the attached computer's OS will recognize the Axe II MIDI ports and allow programs like Ableton Live to see and "learn" button presses from the MFC-101, correct?

It should, yes.

Hey Cliff,

as I have not had the MIDI Clock question answered, I am assuming this is a no ;-)

Let me try another approach to my problem will the MIDI port OUT/THRU merge OUT _&_ THRU or is it OUT _OR_ THRU?

Cheers

Hook up the USB and play the MP3. The MP3 will mix into the Axe-Fx II output. Adjust the volume of the MP3 to set the mix. I do this all the time now.

It should, yes.

I'm sold. Can't wait!

So, I'm totally stoked on the tape delays! What unit was modelled for it?

And as one of the last additions to the already almost-full Ultra and/or Standard, would it be possible to get the tape and/or analog delays for the older AxeFx's?

You can do that in the standard and Ultra. I have a few presets that do that. On the Ultra II w/ the X/Y feature is easier and you can actually set it up so you can have 4 amps (only a max of two would be active at a time)

How do you do that now? I can't get one to go off and the other on ... what do you use?

Hi Cliff.

I seem to recall on the picture of the circuit board that the outputs were labeled "humbuster outputs". Did I imagine that or can you elaborate on what that means?

Thanks.

How do you do that now? I can't get one to go off and the other on ... what do you use?

This should probably go in other thread somewhere else but you put one into bypass and the other isn't. With an external controller you set it up so that you can hit a footswitch to reverse what the bypass state. I do that with my standard on a few patches.

2. If the real-life version of an amp sim has reactive tone controls where turning one knob on the amp affects the frequency center, Q, and sweep range of another knob (like a lot of Mesa stuff and even the Uberschall) will the Axe-Fx II's equivalent amp sim do that as well or are the Axe II's tone controls more set in stone and always-predictable in their behavior?

The Standard and Ultra already work this way and have for some time (look up passive vs active tonestacks).

Hi Cliff.

I seem to recall on the picture of the circuit board that the outputs were labeled "humbuster outputs". Did I imagine that or can you elaborate on what that means?

Thanks.

The 1/4" outputs have a "remote ground sense" feature. You take a TRS cable and on one end you put a TRS plug and on the other end you put a regular TS plug. On the TS end you tie the ring conductor to ground. Plug the TRS end into the Axe-Fx II.

The ground noise of the attached equipment is sensed and added to the output signal thereby cancelling the common-mode noise (hum). This is especially useful when doing the 4CM since that's when you usually get the worst ground loops.

If true (and it should be from what I've read) that is a great point. OTOH, someone will complain that they only use FX and half the DSP resources are unavailable... in 3..2..1

Someone already did that before you even posted.

We need a facepalm emoticon on this board...

I have only one question - I did not see it addressed yet - What about AxeEdit support for Axe II?
I hate to bring up the last mess of editor/Axe waiting period but.....
I finally have a system that works the way that I always dreamed that it could with the Axe and AxeEdit living happily together with my Macbook.

Will I be stuck working the front panel for um-teen months/years before a pro-level editor is fully implemented?
I would expect that since AxeEdit is nearly complete that this has been addressed in the design phase for both AxeEdit and Axe II - but I just need to know what to realistically expect after I plunk down my $$$$.$$

I love what you do Cliff! You are setting the curve again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom