Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The layout looks nice and clean. However I wonder why the DSPs are one the very edge of the panel, far away from the input and output. Is it a thermal or noise consideration?

You want the noisiest digital things as far away as possible from the analog circuitry. The more simultaneous switching digital outputs something has the noisier it is.

You want the noisiest digital things as far away as possible from the analog circuitry. The more simultaneous switching digital outputs something has the noisier it is.

Ya, and grounding is key, keeping the digital return path from interfering with the analog circuitry.

Did I misread something or does the AxefxII input have a sweepable impedance?
Is this an analog function or a digital model of the effects of different impedance settings?

I'm way excited about this feature, if true, because different impedance levels open up a whole new world of tonal characteristics. They're not hugely different, but a great studio tool for giving a guitar more or less bite. For the high gain stuff, it can, to my ears, make a guitar with passive pu's sound like it has active's.

Is this true? If so, thanks and WOW!

Steve

Ya, and grounding is key,
Proper layout of common ("ground") traces is an esential piece of low-noise design, but there's direct radiation/pickup of noise as well. The two possible solutions to this are shielding and making use of the inverse square law by maximizing distance between sources and receivers.

Are the rack ears removable? Just looking at the front panel pic I see it's not one piece across the front like the old models.

Just curious if Larry Mitchell will have to hacksaw off the ears again :)

Apologies, wrong thread, but I wanted half a chance that Cliff would see this...

She's a sexy looking minx, Ms Axe-Fx II.

1. Does the Value knob feel the same to turn as it did in the Ultra? What about the smaller editing knobs? Do they turn smoothly like the Ultra's input/output volume knobs or do they have notched travel like the Ultra's value knob?

2. If the real-life version of an amp sim has reactive tone controls where turning one knob on the amp affects the frequency center, Q, and sweep range of another knob (like a lot of Mesa stuff and even the Uberschall) will the Axe-Fx II's equivalent amp sim do that as well or are the Axe II's tone controls more set in stone and always-predictable in their behavior?

Last edited:
All I am after is the best amp tone:

I wonder what the main soundimprovement is (AxeFx II vs. AxeFx Ultra).

a) If we use only one amp / cab - on both unit what would we hear / feel?

b) If we could use the new AxeFx II ampblock in the ultra and the old cab - what would we hear / feel?

c) If we could use the new AxeFx II cabblock in the ultra and the old amp - what would we hear / feel?

d) is b) or c) closer to a)

In other words I wonder what the sound difference is - double DSP power is nice to run more effects ... but what are the results for amp tone - what was missing in the old AxeFx?

Cliff,

1. What is the physical depth of the unit (front to rear panel?)

2. Any significant change to thermal tolerances / operating temperatures with the new processors?

3. Is the internal AC power manipulation as robust as the old unit (i.e. can we get away without a conditioner)?

Cheers mate. Thanks for your significant contributions to the audio technology industry.

Does the Value knob feel the same to turn as it did in the Ultra? What about the smaller editing knobs? Do they turn smoothly like the Ultra's input/output volume knobs or do they have notched travel like the Ultra's value knob?

Don't know why but I'm sensing you 've been too long without a woman. ;)

Unity gain?

Maybe a real technical question can be answered.

Assuming that there are no non-linear modules in a preset, the digital trim control keeps the unit at unity gain. That's pretty clear.

BUT, that doesn't explain how it behaves with amp modules or compressors or other non-linear modules.

What happens when a preset uses a compressor, limiter, amp model, or some other non-linear processing module? Does changing the input trim in those cases affect the amount of compression or distortion? A yes or no will suffice - I can figure out the rest.

Are the rack ears removable? Just looking at the front panel pic I see it's not one piece across the front like the old models.

Just curious if Larry Mitchell will have to hacksaw off the ears again :)

They are removable. I did that for Larry.

1) How many presets are in the new AxeFx?

2) Are there all new patches - or are the old ones ported?

3) Can I save/load patches from a USB stick?

4) Can I save/load IR's from a USB stick?

1) Are all amp models created after real amps or are there some 'Fractal' amps added?

2) Are all channels of the modeled amps included?

3) Can we split pre and power amp sim?

Maybe a real technical question can be answered.

Assuming that there are no non-linear modules in a preset, the digital trim control keeps the unit at unity gain. That's pretty clear.

BUT, that doesn't explain how it behaves with amp modules or compressors or other non-linear modules.

What happens when a preset uses a compressor, limiter, amp model, or some other non-linear processing module? Does changing the input trim in those cases affect the amount of compression or distortion? A yes or no will suffice - I can figure out the rest.

Changing the input trim doesn't affect the amount of distortion. This the whole idea. You set the trim to optimize the signal level into the converters. Internally the unit applies the inverse of the trim so that the signal into the grid is constant. In other words, if you put 1V into the input the input to the grid is 1V regardless of the trim setting.

1) How many presets are in the new AxeFx?

2) Are there all new patches - or are the old ones ported?

3) Can I save/load patches from a USB stick?

4) Can I save/load IR's from a USB stick?

1) 384
2) Some new ones, mostly just ported.
3, 4) No.

Would it be theoretically be possible to include something what the 'Kemper' does - to EQ match (or whatever) an existing amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom