Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. That's the whole problem. People wonder why there haven't been many firmware updates recently. The reason is the FLASH is nearly full. I've run out of tricks to find more memory. I'm reserving what little is left for amp models.

Cliff, i have an idea for future update possibility for the Ultra. Couldn´t it be possible, that the user is able to choose of amp/cab/ models and effects. Most of Amp and all of the cab-models for example i don´t use. So in this case some more Flash would be free for other stuff. We should be able to choose out of different blocks which altogether would be the firmware. iI hope you understand me. ;) I don´t know if it could work because i´m not wise in computer science or the program of the Axe. :roll

Cliff, i have an idea for future update possibility for the Ultra. Couldn´t it be possible, that the user is able to choose of amp/cab/ models and effects. Most of Amp and all of the cab-models for example i don´t use. So in this case some more Flash would be free for other stuff. We should be able to choose out of different blocks which altogether would be the firmware. iI hope you understand me. ;) I don´t know if it could work because i´m not wise in computer science or the program of the Axe. :roll

Cliff has said that this won't happen. Too much work and risk of problems. So custom-firmware is a no.

Modular firmware ... don't think it will happen.
Fractal doesn't make money on firmware, it makes money on hardware.

Really cool! Are those the only effect blocks with types? Are they just pre-set settings?

1. I think they are the only new ones but compressor, amp, cab, drive, filter, multi-delay, pan/trem, pitch, reverb, etc have types
2. Unless Cliff is doing something behind the scenes, they have new parameters/modeling algorithms and the types exploit those new algorithms. But you can change them. for example you could have a tape style delay w/ bit reduction. Just because it will come up. There is no Wow/Flutter as such rather those parameters are lfo 1 and lfo 2 with the appropriate rate/type set. Just adjust depth to taste.

Modular firmware ... don't think it will happen.
Fractal doesn't make money on firmware, it makes money on hardware.
Can't expect Fractal to invest in modular firmware for an old model. The most we could hope for is a firmware which deletes unused amps (Hellbeast, Big Hair etc..), and adds (say) 10 user cab slots. Those who weren't interested in losing the amps, wouldn't update.

Can't expect Fractal to invest in modular firmware for an old model. The most we could hope for is a firmware which deletes unused amps (Hellbeast, Big Hair etc..), and adds (say) 10 user cab slots. Those who weren't interested in losing the amps, wouldn't update.

IIRC correctly those things are in different parts / types of memory. It has always been said that the current models can't have more user cab slots, alas.

Would you consider FX-only firmware to be modular?

If it's going to be part of a suite with amps-only firmware, selected-amps firmware, etc. (as requested in various threads): yes.
But what do I know .... I ain't no Fractal. :)

MIDI questions:
1. How is MIDI integrated with the USB and MFC interfaces?
2. Does (will) Axe-Edit use the USB connection as a faster MIDI path, or is the command structure independent of MIDI?
3. Currently anything that Axe-Edit controls can be controlled via a MIDI track in my DAW, does that change?
4. For parameters that can be adjusted cleanly today from the Axe-Fx front panel (e.g. tone controls on an amp block) but cause audible transitions when changed via MIDI, has that situation changed? I'm interested in what happens with Axe-Edit and with other external controllers.

1. Don't understand this question.
2. Control via USB is done using MIDI-over-USB. So it's just a faster and more reliable MIDI connection.
3. No change.
4. Hopefully improved.

Myself and probably the others building foot controllers would like to know the gory details of the MFC Ethernet port. Is it TCP/IP with Power Over Ethernet or is it some proprietary protocol/pin out?

It is proprietary.

1) I hope you find the time to answer the question above.

2) Did you make any technical improvements to the models so that the amps react to tweaking more like the orignals? I am a little concerned that I won't get the tones the amps are known for without much experience with the originals. In fact, the only reason I would buy an 11r instead is that it seems like they are easier to tweak... :(

1. The internal sample rate is equal to or greater than that.
2. I think all the amps react like the originals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom