Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wait, I'm slightly confused here. Obviously it's possible to do this with the floorboard:
BUTTON 1 = AMP1 X/Y
BUTTON 2 = AMP2 X/Y

Where every time you step on BUTTON 1, the system bypasses AMP2 and engages AMP1, and does the opposite every time you step on BUTTON 2.

But is it also possible at all to configure 4 separate buttons on the floorboard like this:
BUTTON 1 = AMP1 X
BUTTON 2 = AMP1 Y
BUTTON 3 = AMP2 X
BUTTON 4 = AMP2 Y

where every button press both bypasses the *other* AMP block and engages its own corresponding amp block?

Just programm two CCs per switch! One for bypass the other amp, one to engage the X/Y mode you want! So i say: YES!

The idea behind X/Y is that people often have multiple distortion/chorus/delay/etc. pedals on their board but they rarely have more than one on at a time. So rather than creating more instances of effects, which sucks up CPU, have each instance capable of more than one sound.

To quote a Guinness ad: "Brilliant!"

Wait, I'm slightly confused here. Obviously it's possible to do this with the floorboard:
BUTTON 1 = AMP1 X/Y
BUTTON 2 = AMP2 X/Y

Where every time you step on BUTTON 1, the system bypasses AMP2 and engages AMP1, and does the opposite every time you step on BUTTON 2.

But is it also possible at all to configure 4 separate buttons on the floorboard like this:
BUTTON 1 = AMP1 X
BUTTON 2 = AMP1 Y
BUTTON 3 = AMP2 X
BUTTON 4 = AMP2 Y

where every button press both bypasses the *other* AMP block and engages its own corresponding amp block?

Your foot pedal would need to be able to send the right messages, but I think that might work. Your foot controller would need to be able to send an on message, followed by a bypass on one, and off followed by a bypass on another. However, if the X/Y just toggles any time its CC# see any value that would get weird mighty fast.

I'm not sure how X/Y is handled in that manner.

Regarding the Headphones output.
Will high impedance headphones such as the Sennheiser HD650 and some high end Beyer Dynamics require pre-amplification from the Headphone Output or will it be able to drive them adequately without an external preamp ?

The idea behind X/Y is that people often have multiple distortion/chorus/delay/etc. pedals on their board but they rarely have more than one on at a time. So rather than creating more instances of effects, which sucks up CPU, have each instance capable of more than one sound.

It is an amazing idea that is going to allow me to pull the Eventide from my rig!

Exactly!!!!! And this demanded the next product and i hope you know that: X/Y feature with the engaged power of the Axe-II for more FX blocks per preset enables REALLY BIG VIRTUAL PEDALBOARDS! So, you will be asked in the nearest future for an expansion of the MFC (more switches!). And this needed an RJ45 in (coming frome the Axe) and thru jack (going to the MFC-101). Hope the Axe-II will serve enough "phantom power" for both units :roll

So is switching between X and Y done on the block level? Meaning, can I switch between X and Y settings for a Delay block independent of switching between X and Y for a Drive block? Is there a way to switch every block in a patch from its X setting to its Y setting, all of them at once?

I was drawing up how I might used the X/Y features with a flanger fetish I have. Hope this helps, you and me... CC or JJ correct me please.

GitFiddle> Axe-FX (controlled by the MFC-101) - Grid > Amp -Cab - Flanger (1) X- setting Smooth Y- Setting Wider sweep
______________________________________________________\ -Flanger (2) X- Setting Fat Roundhouse Flange Y- Airplane mode Ala Paul GIlbert
"Each setting set up with its own dedicated global CC"

Friggin 4 settings with 2 flanges in 1 preset! Phenominal!

Last edited:
So is switching between X and Y done on the block level? Meaning, can I switch between X and Y settings for a Delay block independent of switching between X and Y for a Drive block? Is there a way to switch every block in a patch from its X setting to its Y setting, all of them at once?

Correct, block level. Yes, set them to the same CC and they will all switch at once.

Your foot pedal would need to be able to send the right messages, but I think that might work. Your foot controller would need to be able to send an on message, followed by a bypass on one, and off followed by a bypass on another. However, if the X/Y just toggles any time its CC# see any value that would get weird mighty fast.

I'm not sure how X/Y is handled in that manner.

...uhhhh ... i hope the toggle state of x or y can be defined with a CC value?!?!?! and, just in mind, the X/Y can be linked to an external (with auto on ) ony bypass CC can be saved? I´m confused now ... *g

Just give em all the same Midi CC ?!

Great and powerfull idea, in this case it will be interesting to have not only X/Y but X1 X2 Y1 Y2 etc...for many instances per blocs. If it is just a set of parameters it's perhaps doable with the Ax2 in a futur firmware?

Only one pedal input now.

Have the capabilities of this input been changed?

On the Ultra, its possible to use an expression pedal to engage/disengage controllers as you move through the travel of the pedal. This makes it possible to have 0-25% of travel configure for a clean setup, while 25-75% configures for crunch and 75%-100% configures for lead. You have to do a little trickery with the curves on the controller but its pretty neat.

Not as flexible as a MIDI controller, but its a lot easier to have a spare expression pedal than another MIDI controller in a pinch.

I also built a quick two switch foot pedal to do the same thing as a backup to my MIDI pedal. At least I can quickly rig up a traditional clean/dirty crunch/lead switch using only one pedal port.

Was just curious if this is still possible. I guess there is always the MIDI mouse for backup if necessary.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom