Atomic CLR = Sonic bliss !!! In depth review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terminology may be a problem here too; "reference monitors" are very specific systems used to determine what a recording is going to sound like on consumer speaker systems.

All the acronyms can get confusing... LOL. How about just keep it FRFR, and use as much or as little of the frequency spectrum as you need... LOL. Most people can't physically HEAR above 16k, anyway... ;-)

Wouldn't you stand a far better chance of achieving reference monitoring using IEM?

I use IEM in some scenarios and stage monitoring via the CLRs in other scenarios.

With the CLRs I have as good resolution and frequency response as with my IEMs (Ultimate Ears 18 pro).

Terminology may be a problem here too; "reference monitors" are very specific systems used to determine what a recording is going to sound like on consumer speaker systems.

Jay Mitchell who designed the CLRs have for years designed and manufactured über hi-end FRFR monitors for the most demanding clients, including reference monitors for recording, mixing and mastering studios - he knows what a reference quality monitor is and how to design one - which is exactly what he has done with the CLRs.
So terminology is most certainly not a problem here.

Check out what James Cullen is reporting in his own thread about the CLRs and in his posts on this thread.
James in lucky enough to own a set of ATC 100a's which is some of the absolute best mixing and mastering grade reference monitors in the world at ANY price.
James has clearly stated that his CLRs compare very favorably to the ATC's, and that he is going to do a A/B shootout between them in a mixing situation.
I for one am really looking forward to read that review.

Check out what James Cullen is reporting in his own thread about the CLRs and in his posts on this thread.
James in lucky enough to own a set of ATC 100a's which is some of the absolute best mixing and mastering grade reference monitors in the world at ANY price.
James has clearly stated that his CLRs compare very favorably to the ATC's, and that he is going to do a A/B shootout between them in a mixing situation.
I for one am really looking forward to read that review.

Thanks RB but in order to do this I've got to pole mount them and am having trouble identifying what type of stand to use. Sorry to hijack this thread but I thought you might know the answer. Will a 35mm diameter speaker stand work? hopefully once this is done I can set up the room with the CLR and ATC100A using my Crane song Avocet studio controller which has some ofthe best DA convertors to send audio to the two sets of monitors. Should be a lot of fun!

Thanks . Im thinking of getting these. Do you think they will work
Millenium BS-2211B MKII Set, Aluminium speaker stand, Solid speaker stand with a maximum Load of 30kg, adjustable to a thomann height of up to 2 meters, length when closed 1.25m, pole diameter 35mm Weight: 2,16 kg. Pack of 2 pcs. including gigbag, Colour Black, Total Weight incl. Bag 4,73 Kg

Cheers bro
J

WIth it seems no discernible hope of me being invited to buy one yet, I can't answer any of my questions for myself, hence my raising these various discussion here.

BUt fair do's RB - the title of your thread is "CLR=Sonic Bliss". I don't want to interfere with the "bliss" aspect, and I'm certainly not going to question Jay and other cited gurus!!

Just be vigilant regarding the possibility of this thread becoming advertorial. I will certainly look forward to your gig in Oxford and the opportunity to sound check your CLRs - although I hope I don't have to wait quite so long.

Nah, just quasi-FRFR.

FRFR is a goal. No speaker acheives it perfectly.

Quasi-FRFR is a goal, too. Full-range and flat enough to work with IRs, but flavored to favor guitar.

In the three different scenarios I have tried:

1. Good quality power amp -> guitar cab
2. < 1000USD prosumer powered PA wedge
3. CLR

Option #1 was the easiest to get a "flavored to favor guitar" tone.

Option #2 required EQ to compensate for the speaker system's own inadequacies.

Option #3 I just concentrate on the preset parameters and don't have to do anything special with the speaker except turn it up! :)

So for me, I would choose pwr amp -> guitar cab over quasi FRFR *if I wanted a speaker that favored guitar*. Just easier for me vs. EQ compensation.

The CLR, in my opinion is unique in that it gives similar performance to a studio monitor but can get incredibly loud doing so. And in a form factor for live use.

Richard

Isn't this what we actually need (quasi-FRFR)? (Not reference monitors...)
Depends on what you're trying to do.

If there's a particular color that pleases you, you might want to paint your pictures on a canvas that already has a hint of that color. Then quasi-FRFR is right for you.

If you trust your paints and your color-mixing ability, you'll want to paint on a canvas that's as white and neutral as possible. Then you're a FRFR guy.

Hi James, I have done some research as I am looking to pole mount a pair of CLRs at 45LBS each. A D.J. named Mike Ryan, invented these Gas powered-neutral buoyancy stands and previously sold them through Ultimate as the Ultimate-Support-TS-100B. The Ultimate Co. was sold and they cheapened the Prod so he started his own company
No more pinching your hands or hurting your back before you play. As of 2013, there are 3 different weight versions, F-1, F-2, and F-3 to achieve neutral buoyancy with different weight speakers, improved mechanics so they don't open in the bag or accidentally, new steel alum alloy for lighter weight / strength and bigger brake pads than the Ultimate stand ! HERE IS VIDEO Frankenstand Web Video - YouTube .
He reminds me of Cliff, as he invented it, he constantly upgrades it (UPGRADE VID NEW Frankenstand Overtightening Fix - YouTube ), and you can actually contact him. I just did, he was on his way to a gig, cool guy. Call Mike and speak with him and tell him I sent you, but remember he works on weekends... 1-619-223-7587... if he doesn't answer use the email info@frankenstand.com

Last edited:
Depends on what you're trying to do.

If there's a particular color that pleases you, you might want to paint your pictures on a canvas that already has a hint of that color. Then quasi-FRFR is right for you.

If you trust your paints and your color-mixing ability, you'll want to paint on a canvas that's as white and neutral as possible. Then you're a FRFR guy.

WTF? Did I accidentally go into the hippie arts and crafts room instead of the FAS forum? ;)

Hi James, I have done some research as I am looking to pole mount a pair of CLRs at 45LBS each. A D.J. named Mike Ryan, invented these Gas powered-neutral buoyancy stands and previously sold them through Ultimate as the Ultimate-Support-TS-100B. The Ultimate Co. was sold and they cheapened the Prod so he started his own company
No more pinching your hands or hurting your back before you play. As of 2013, there are 3 different weight versions, F-1, F-2, and F-3 to achieve neutral buoyancy with different weight speakers, improved mechanics so they don't open in the bag or accidentally, new steel alum alloy for lighter weight / strength and bigger brake pads than the Ultimate stand ! HERE IS VIDEO Frankenstand Web Video - YouTube .
He reminds me of Cliff, as he invented it, he constantly upgrades it (UPGRADE VID NEW Frankenstand Overtightening Fix - YouTube ), and you can actually contact him. I just did, he was on his way to a gig, cool guy. Call Mike and speak with him but remember he works on weekends... 1-619-223-7587... if he doesn't answer use the email info@frankenstand.com

Simply brillant. How many times have I balanced an EON-15 over my head trying to reach the hole (No sexual parallell's please).
G66 must make those available in Europe.

Have already emailed him. And yes, he's a genious. Like the T-bridge, makes me see a picture of two speakers hanging in stereo.

Not quite right. The reference monitors (often consisting of one or two 15" woofers, a quite large mid-horn and a tweeter) is being usen to monitor the overall detailed composition og the whole mix at large sound-pressure.

At down-mix, really small - often two-way - monitors sitting on the desk tell's the engineer how the take would sound consumer-wise. And then he eq. add maximisers etc. etc.

Thanks RB but in order to do this I've got to pole mount them and am having trouble identifying what type of stand to use. Sorry to hijack this thread but I thought you might know the answer. Will a 35mm diameter speaker stand work? hopefully once this is done I can set up the room with the CLR and ATC100A using my Crane song Avocet studio controller which has some ofthe best DA convertors to send audio to the two sets of monitors. Should be a lot of fun!

Thanks . Im thinking of getting these. Do you think they will work
Millenium BS-2211B MKII Set, Aluminium speaker stand, Solid speaker stand with a maximum Load of 30kg, adjustable to a thomann height of up to 2 meters, length when closed 1.25m, pole diameter 35mm Weight: 2,16 kg. Pack of 2 pcs. including gigbag, Colour Black, Total Weight incl. Bag 4,73 Kg

Cheers bro
J

James, I think the Millenium set will be perfect, I use an old set of K&M that I had laying around.

WIth it seems no discernible hope of me being invited to buy one yet, I can't answer any of my questions for myself, hence my raising these various discussion here.

BUt fair do's RB - the title of your thread is "CLR=Sonic Bliss". I don't want to interfere with the "bliss" aspect, and I'm certainly not going to question Jay and other cited gurus!!

Just be vigilant regarding the possibility of this thread becoming advertorial. I will certainly look forward to your gig in Oxford and the opportunity to sound check your CLRs - although I hope I don't have to wait quite so long.

As I said I completely understand being sceptic until you try them out.
I'm quite confident though that you'll know what I'm talking about once you do try them.

No final word yet on the Oxford show, but I think it'll fall into place. Would really like for you to try out the CLRs and us to hang a little. I'll PM you the details once I've got them.

He reminds me of Cliff, as he invented it, he constantly upgrades it (UPGRADE VID NEW Frankenstand Overtightening Fix - YouTube ), and you can actually contact him. I just did, he was on his way to a gig, cool guy. Call Mike and speak with him and tell him I sent you, but remember he works on weekends... 1-619-223-7587... if he doesn't answer use the email info@frankenstand.com

they look fantastic - thinking of ordering a pair

Let's say high fidelity is desired, but gig-volume isn't really needed. Are the CLRs still the most cost-efficient-choice under those circumstances?

For at home, no..... you could get a pair of used Mackie HR824's for about $500 a pair... pretty flat and and accurate to create presets on.

If you're playing live, then I would say CLR seems to have the majority of agreement here ( not all, but quite a few... )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom