Atomic CLR = Sonic bliss !!! In depth review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket Brother

Power User
CLR in depth review, pro use, multible applications and scenarios

Hi guys, as promised here’s my review of the Atomic Amps CLR Active wedge.
It’s taken a little longer than originally promised, as I’ve had some things to attend to in my private life.
This will be a long post - sorry - but I hope anybody interested in the CLRs will find the review useful and interesting.

A little context before the review. I’m a professional guitarist and have made my living as such for more than 20 years now. I’ve been lucky enough to play with some outstanding musicians during this time and have earlier in my career toured both sides of the Atlantic as a sideman. Since I became a father I haven’t strayed too far from home for extended periods. I do mostly live work backing a couple of recording artists, but I also do a fair share of studio work, and I’m getting a little into mixing too.
I mostly play straight classic rock and blues-rock but also do a little funky and “top 40” type modern pop-rock.
As a “gun for hire” I’ve always needed a rounded arsenal of sounds and as such have owned a boatload of choice guitars, tube amplifiers, cabinets, pedals and outboard effects.
For electrics I mostly play strats, teles, ES 330 and ES 335/345’s and on rare occasions an LP. For acoustics I mainly use a one-off Custom Shop Martin D-style with some twists and 2 Gibson J45 True Vintage’s, all fitted with LR Baggs Anthem systems.
Amp wise I’ve mostly been going for vintage flavored amps and the true and tried classics of tweed Fenders, BF Fenders, vintage Marshalls, Comet Concorde, Skrydstryp OD50, Carr Rambler, and a CbC ODS clone, but have also had more modern hi-gain amps such as a Skrydstrup SD50 and a Soldano SLO in heavy rotation. I own or have owned quite a few more of both guitars and amps, but those mentioned above are what have been at the core of my arsenal for years.
I never liked any modelers before the Axe Fx, but my Ultras became my favorite gigging tools.
The Axe II has up’ed that one further, and I’m now using the Axe II for at least 95% of my work (live and studio), though I still own and love - just rarely use - a couple of tweed Fenders, a Carr Rambler, the ODS clone, the Skrydstrups, an SLO and a Soldano X99.

With respect to sound reproduction I’ve been going back and forth between being on in-ears and on stage monitors depending on the band/artist and scenario. When on stage monitors I’ve been fortunate enough to use a lot of high-end pro stage monitors extensively from companies such as Martin Audio, L-Acoustics, D&B and others throughout the years as stage monitors were always provided by the tech companies or concert arrangers.
I’ve also recorded in a number of fully fledged professional studios that have had high-end monitoring solutions.

Last year I got the urge to get my own monitors, so that I had them for grab-and-go applications such as rehearsals, small gigs, clinics, to dial my tones in on at home as monitors behaves and feels differently than in-ears, and most importantly to have an extra “all ME” wedge on stage so I could make quick level adjustments via output 2 on the Axe II if the monitor tech didn’t give me enough of my guitar sound in my band mix stage wedge.
I got the RCF NX10-SMA as they meet my criterias; good tone, coaxial, top prosumer quality, light weight, rugged and portable at an (IMO anyway) fairly affordable price, especially considering the cost of the other elements in my signal chain.
The RCFs are definitely not on the same level as the monitors from the companies mentioned above, but they perform better than anything else I’ve heard in the prosumer range, and are easily good enough for me to use them in a professional setting for the purposes mentioned above.

I was looking forward to reviewing the CLR and see what the collaboration between Tom King and Jay Mitchell could bring to the table, but I was very sceptical as to whether the CLR’s would be able to outperform or even equal my RCF NX10-SMAs that I’ve had for 14 months and have been very happy with.

I received 3 active CLR wedges for review purposes from Tom King of Atomic Amps on the 11th of April 2013 - just shortly before we were heading into the final production rehearsals and out on tour, and I have used them extensively in a number of scenarios since.
The premisses for the review was - as always - that I’d have full editorial rights and would write my absolute honest opinion on the CLR, whether it was favorable for the CLR and Atomic Amps or not.
I’ve mailed this review to Tom King before posting it here so he knew what to expect and had a chance to comment on my thoughts, but as I said no editorial rights or favors were given to Tom King or anybody else.

I set out to test the CLRs very thoroughly, methodically and rigorously in a number of different scenarios, including:

1) Using the CLR as a personal monitor for the Axe Fx II at low bedroom, medium and full stage volumes, including real life live use in medium to large clubs and up to large halls, with electric and acoustic guitars.

2) Using the CLRs as a mini PA in coffeehouse gigs / clinics / small gig settings

3) Using the CLRs as backline amplification for electric and acoustic guitars.

4) Using CLRs in a wet-dry-wet system either as all Axe II and CLRs and/or with the CLRs providing the wet channels with effects from Axe II and a TC 2290 with the dry center channel coming from a couple of choice boutique tube amp

5) Using the CLRs and Axe Fx II for bass guitar

6) Comparing the CLRs to popular choices in the hi-end prosumer FRFR market

7) Comparing the CLRs to well known and widely used studio monitors

I’ll describe my experiences with each application/scenario separately so guys only interested in one or a few scenarios can skip right to what is of interest to them.

Some of the basics about the CLR will be in the part about using the CLR as a personal monitor so I recommend reading at least that part of the review.

At some points in this review I’ll contrast or compare the CLR to the RCF NX10-SMA monitor, simply because
1) That is what I’ve been using before I received the CLRs
2) The RCF is well known and used by a lot of members on this forum
3) Because to me the RCF is the best of the prosumer FRFR monitors out there and thus what the CLR has to beat convincingly to be of interest to me

Alrighty then - lets get down to business.

Shipping materials, packing, fit & finish and features

The CLRs ships in good quality boxes and are packed really well.
It’s obvious that Atomic Amps cares about the CLR getting to you unharmed.
This attention to and care in packing is important in a costly and relatively heavy device such as the CLR.
The shipping agent that delivered the CLRs to me had man-handled the boxes a little, but the quality boxes, quality packing material and good packing made sure that no damage had come to the CLRs.

The CLR itself has a clean professional feel, look and build quality. Wooden cabinet, painted black and a black metal grill to keep the drivers out of harms way.
Apart from the new Atomic logo there is nothing flamboyant about the look of the wedge – so just as it should be IMO.
The CLR has a more squared and a little higher profile than the RCF NX10-SMA that I’m used to and has a slightly bigger foot print.

The CLR is a bit more heavy than the RCF, but not prohibitively so.
In fact the RCF seems lighter to carry only on the first less than 10 meters or so, from there it becomes very obvious that the CLR’s better weight distribution and way better carrying handle makes carrying the CLR a breeze compared to the lighter RCF with it’s somewhat bend and squared profile handle.
Why RCF chose to put a handle like that on their monitor is beyond me. It must be routed in the Italian design aesthetics of “una bella figura”, with is - in this case anyway - in sharp contrast to the normal pro audio “form follows function” creedo. Atomics choice of a regular pro quality handle like we all know from the industry standard Marshall 4x12 cab makes much better sense and is far more ergonomic.

The CLR wedge has rubber feet for positioning it on the floor as either a wedge or up-right as a cab. Furthermore there is a speaker stand cup on the bottom, allowing you to – yep – put it onto a speaker stand and raise it up to whatever level you want it at.
Corresponding to these 3 possible placement options, there is a PRESET switch on the back where you can set it for free field (FF), wedge (TILT) or backline (BL) in order to employ a corrective EQ for each position set by the DSP in the active CLR.
This is far from a trivial feature and a real plus for the CLR.

The back panel or control panel of the CLR holds a heat sink, and from left to right input 1 & 2 each with a Neutrik combo 1/4” /XLR input socket and individual level controls and clipping warning LEDs, the PRESET switch for FF, TILT & BL positions, the MASTER volume control, the SUB on/off switch which in it’s on position attenuates the lows from 120Hz and down if you want to use the CLR with a sub and also the link XLR out with a switch to choose which signal you want to send out of the link: input 1, input 2 or both.
Lastly there is the IEC power inlet socket and the illuminated on/off mini rocker switch.

Using the CLRs as a personal monitor

This is the task that I - and I guess most other users - primarily want to use the CLR for, and I guess where the CLR can make it or break it for most users so to speak.
The first time I fired up the CLRs I was pleasantly surprised and could immediately tell that these monitors are indeed very special and are a professional grade monitor.
I actually started out listening to some music that I’m very familiar with on the CLRs and loved what I heard. All the detail, depth, space and punch was present and the sound image very clear. The broad dispersion pattern with a completely uniform sound quality is terrific. Then I tried out the patches I had made using the RCF, and again really liked what I heard, I just had a lot of fun going through my own presets and even a few of the factory presets.
The next day was more of the same, but also included the inevitable – the first A/B tests with the RCFs.
I really liked what I heard from the RCF, it felt like home and had a nice fat mid range tone to it. When I switched to the CLR I could instantly hear that there were a lot more clarity and better separation in the CLR, the mids were very nice but not as prominent as on the RCF. I tried both again with some backing tracks at the same time through the monitors and then it was very clear that the CLR had better separation, depth and clarity, not only between my guitar and the backing track but also between the instruments on the backing track.
I took a walk, came back and decided to tweak a new clean Fender and a new driven Plexi tone on both monitors – I found that I worked faster and got a better result on both types of tones tweaking on the CLR because I could more easily separate the different frequencies and hear everything better.
The prominent mids present on the RCF, that I had liked at first glance in the comparison, made dialing the sounds in on the RCFs a bit harder, as the mids got a bit wolly compared to the CLR. The CLRs excel throughout the entire frequency range and have perfect mid representation.

In the time span of just a few days the CLRs grew immensely on me and it became very clear to me that IMO the CLR is vastly superior to the RCF (which I still like for what it is though).
Numerous tests confirmed that to me, and I felt secure enough to bring the CLR to rehearsals and shows.
I tweaked a handful of general go to presets (an acoustic preset, a clean Fender, a bluesy/clean lead Fender, a bluesy JTM 45, a driven Plexi and a hot Friedman) for the CLR’s and took two of them to rehearsal to try them at stage volume. Just 30 seconds into the first rehearsal I was grinning from ear to ear and I knew that there was no way around it for me – I had to have them.
It was simply some of the best tones I’d ever had or heard, and furthermore the dispersion pattern of the CLRs meant that both I and my band mates could hear my guitar much better all over the stage than usual.
My amplified acoustics sounded better than I’ve ever heard them before, and dare I say it as good as or maybe even better than the pure unamplified sound of the acoustic itself. This was with a simple patch on the Axe (slight comp, PEQ, a hint of delay and reverb) and a Character preamp sim from the Metric Halo ULN-8’s Mio Console 5.
I also tried going from the acoustic straight into the ULN-8’s DI input and in 2-3 minutes I tweaked a simple channel strip with a Character preamp sim, comp, limiter, EQ and Halo Verb, and again surpassed any acoustic tone I’ve ever had previously.

I’ve since used the CLR extensively at home when practicing or working on new material at bedroom and apartment volumes, in rehearsals, with a quiet trio, in full production rehearsals with a full band and where it matters most – on stage at full volume.
I can honestly say that the CLRs have continued to impress me more for every single time I’ve used them - irrespectively of the setting I’ve used them in.

For guys wanting a monitor to give them cranked amp sounds at bedroom volumes I can think of no better sounding monitor than the CLR for the purpose.
The other good option for bedroom volume IMHO is a set of good studio monitors. The CLR takes up a bit more space than typical studio monitors do, but it has a more cab like feel and punch to the sound even at bedroom volumes compared to studio monitors - and if an opportunity to jam ever comes up you’re set for that as well.
Another point is that the sound quality of the CLR is way better IMHO than any set of studio monitor available at 999$ US that I know of anyway. So if you are willing to spend that amount on a set of studio monitors for the Axe Fx II, you should seriously consider a CLR instead – not stereo I know but sublime mono is IMO better than decent to good stereo for guitar tones any day of the week.

In many threads regarding FRFR monitors, there is a lot of discussion and questions regarding whether a given FRFR monitor can get you a “in the room” sound, like if you had a tube amp and cab right in front of you.
To me when using the Axe II and CLRs that question is answered with a resounding “yes absolutely”.
The most important ingredient in getting a in the room sound is absolutely the choice of speaker IR.
If you use a speaker IR of a close mic’ed cab with a “colored” mic going through a “colored” preamp and maybe a EQ, then you naturally won’t get an in the room sound. You’ll get the sound of the amp and cab model chosen, mic’ed and post processed - which can be you what you want in another situation.
So if you want an amp in the room sound, choose a speaker IR captured with a very transparent and natural sounding mic in a far field position into a very clean preamp with a flat EQ, maybe even mix in a little of a close mic’ed IR captured like that too.

I’ve also noticed a couple of guys on the fractal forum claiming that the CLRs are harder to work on with the Axe than their chosen monitor, claiming that their monitors are more guitar friendly than the CLR, and that the CLR is more for tweakers and people with a scientific background or audio professionals or some other nonsense to that effect – please give me a break.
The CLR accurately reproduces the signal you feed them, which makes them absolutely wonderful and simple to work on and they take out all of the guesswork about how your sound will translate to other quality systems or in recordings.
That makes the CLRs perfect and easy to use for the basic players and the über-tweakers alike.
I won’t feed the trolls, but suffice to say that if your preset sounds bad or wrong on a Axe II and CLR rig then the problem isn’t with the rig, it’s with the users ability to dial in a good preset.

Using the CLRs as a personal monitor in a band context, I’ve noticed a few important things, apart from sublime sound quality and true FRFR performance, that makes the CLR a no-brainer for me.
Playing in a band context - whether that’s my trio or the 7 man band - I’ve noticed that because of the formidable large dispersion zone, true FRFR performance and thus clear detailed sound of the CLR, I can turn down my volume a little from my normal stage volume and still hear myself better and be heard better by the other musicians than before.
Hearing myself better is naturally really great, but having lower volume levels coming at me make long production rehearsals and long shows a lot less stressful and wears a lot less on my ears and head – that’s a very welcome feature of the CLR to me.
Another thing that really stands out to me is the sound quality and frequency spectrum once you get out of the ideal dispersion zone, which is very wide on the CLR. On the CLR it seems like the frequencies fades away uniformly, whereas on most monitors (including most hi-end pro monitors) once you get outside of the ideal dispersion zone the frequencies falls off in a very uneven and sporadic way so you might get a very muddy or very shrill sound outside of the ideal dispersion zone.
Remember the rest of the band is typically, not to say always, outside of the ideal dispersion zone of you monitor so - unless you are always on large stages with everybody standing fixed in front of their personal monitor - this matters greatly when you think of how the rest of the band hears you even though they might have dedicated monitors.
It’s hard to explain why this is such a big deal, but once you’ve tried it, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about.
Monitors like the CLR can reduce the volume war on stage and make the experience of performing much better for all involved, which often leads to better playing and better performances.

I’ve used the CLRs in many shows now, ranging from some clinics in café sized rooms (50-200 persons) at moderate stage volumes, to full on stage volume in crowded medium sized clubs to halls, including 7 shows in what I consider large halls (7000+ in the audience) and I have found the CLRs to work absolutely beautifully and perfectly for me in all these scenarios.
The CLRs have not made a single hiccup, they sound clear, natural, transparent and translate perfectly.
Not only does my Axe patches/guitar sound translate perfectly, so does the entire band mix in the CLR.
There is great detail, separation, depth and punch in the CLR.
I get a line from the monitor tech with a personalized band mix with the right levels for me – but in the rare occasion that I’m not getting enough of my guitar in my monitor and I can’t catch the attention of the monitor tech quickly enough, I can instantly regulate the level myself from the front of the Axe II, as I have a cable going from the out 2 of the Axe into the input 2 on the CLR.
It has proven to be money more than once, and I love having the 2nd input on the CLRs for this application.
If I’m running 1 or 2 CLRs that means I’m turning up the “Axe II only” signal from out 2 on the Axe II.

The CLR can get extremely loud it you want or need it to – Holy Moly does it get loud!
I’m used to rock stage SPL’s and can attest that the CLR will split your head open and blow your eardrums, if you get too fresh with the volume level control.
I’ve had the CLRs so loud that I could only stand it for a few minutes or so and had to turn it down as it was unpleasantly loud – the CLRs never broke a sweat and didn’t distort the signal – it just got LOUD.
I’ve heard Jay Mitchell say that the CLR will continuously put out 120 dBs of sound pressure – that’s loud enough from a stage monitor for any sane person.

Continued in next post.....

Using the CLRs as a mini PA

I was scheduled to do a series of 6 long clinics at performing music schools. The clinics were hosted in café sized rooms with 50-200 people attending, and dealt with a number of topics ranging from good practicing routines, how to keep evolving as a musician instead of getting stuck in a rut, how to make yourself marketable as a musician, what makes a good sideman, how to do a good demo, how to prepare for auditions, tools of the trade (gear box), backline set ups vs PA, running your own PA and Q & A sessions.
All the clinics were done in a trio format with guitar, bass and drums.
Some sessions had all 3 band members present and some with only one of us preset. All clinics had an intro were we played 3 songs and ended with a mini concert (1 hour set).
These clinics were the first “shows” I did with the CLRs.
My setup was the Axe Fx II running mono patches, and I used one CLR as a personal monitor and the 2 other CLRs as a mini PA with my guitar (electric and acoustic), vocal mics, some program material and backing tracks – and in the last 4 clinics also the bass (DI’ed) and drums (analog drums switched to V-drums triggering Steven Slate SSD 4) – went through the “PA CLRs”.
I had high expectations based on the way the CLRs carried the room at rehearsal and my expectations were more than meet.
The CLRs were easily loud enough, spread the sound nicely across the room and sounded just great exhibiting all the sonic characteristics I described in the paragraph above about using the CLR as a personal monitor. There was a spot in two of the clinics where I went out into the room to solo - cheasy I know – but it gave me the chance to hear the CLRs from among the audience in a filled room.

All the clinic venues had a house PA in place and I seized the opportunity at soundcheck to activate the house PA and switch between it, the CLRs and my RCFs that I had brought along for just that purpose. In a couple of instances we even switched between the CLR and the house PA mid session, as it was about running your own PA, personal monitoring, FOH and the toolbox (gear box).
At one of those instances the house PA was a set of K12’s with a sub (didn’t get the brand or model # on the sub - sorry). At the other instance it was a set of HK Linear 5 without a sub).
In both instances I found the CLRs clearly superior as they had way better articulation, punch, frequency response, dispersion and they just plain translated better.

Using the CLRs as backline amplification

I only very rarely play in settings where we rely on backline amplification, I mostly play with a wedge in front of me or with in-ears, but I was curious as to how the CLR would handle the task.
So in the clinics mentioned above I actually used the “personal monitor” CLR behind me in a backline position (with the Axe signal to the “PA CLRs” bypassed) in the session about backline set up’s vs PA, in the PA part I just used one of my RCFs for a personal wedge and the “PA CLRs” or the house PA.
Also when I recently attended a wedding where I’d been trusted with the task of hiring the band, I joined the band with my Axe and a single CLR in backline position for a few songs for the bride and groom as they are both childhood friends of mine. It’s been awhile to say the least since I’ve played Bon Jovi’s Bed of roses – LOL – but that was their song when they first met.

In both these scenarios the CLRs worked absolutely great.
They are easily more than loud enough, and for backline use the wide dispersion of the CLRs is an absolute godsend as that means that the entire audience and the rest of the band can hear you clearly, instead of the normal backline scenario where the part of the audience directly in front of your guitar cabinet gets their heads blown off from the direct beam of loud guitar, the part of the audience a little of axis getting a decent guitar sound and lastly the part of the audience that is very off axis and the rest of the band can’t hear you in any meaningful way.

Although using the CLR on the floor (Preset BL) works perfectly well and IMHO better than any regular guitar cab or any other FRFR monitor that I’ve tried, I much prefere to have it on a pole (Preset FF) when using the CLR for backline duties, as the elevated speaker spreads the sound better.

Using the CLRs in a Wet-Dry-Wet set-up.

Well an Axe II and a single CLR in mono is easily enough to have a professional grade rig, and it’s absolutely the easiest rig to both haul and to integrate for the FOH tech.
Two CLRs in a stereo set-up is just even sweeter and fuller sounding, but is sometimes lost on the FOH, depending on the level of the PA.
That said, three CLRs in a wet-dry-wet configuration is just about as sinful, delightful and sublime sounding as a rig can get.
Again it might be lost on low-end or medium level PAs.
Some will argue that a W-D-W is completely unnecessary, and I’d agree – but try it once and you’ll most likely be hooked, as it gives you the perfect balance of your effects and your dry guitar tones.

I’ve used the CLRs in two different versions of a W-D-W rig.
The first one is an all Axe II rig where only wah, drives, boost (PEQ), vibe, tremolo, amp and cab goes to output 1, a split is taken after the cab and run to stereo reverbs, stereo delays and a 2nd vibe/rotary that are paralleled and go to output 2. This is a very compact but insanely versatile W-D-W rig with the effects and number of amp and cab sims in the Axe II.
I send one side of the Axe II’s output 1 (Copy L > R) and the link out of the CLRs receiving the wet signals from the Axe II output 2 to the FOH, so the FOH also gets a dry center channel and effected left and right channels from me.
The other version I’ve tried is with a tube amp and regular guitar cab providing the dry center, mic’ed, and send to the FOH via my Metric Halo ULN-8 with my Axe II and TC 2290 inserted for effects and from there was send to both FOH and a left and a right CLR as the wet channels.
I’ve done this using my ODS clone and also my Skrydstrup SD50.
Both the Axe II and the tube amp based W-D-W rigs sounds sublime and the sound just engulfs you, the effects breath, but your tone has punch and cuts, and still you have a physical center (the dry cab) from which your base tone comes, just as when you are playing through a good combo or stack.
In both types of W-D-W rigs I’ve had a mix of the rest of the band send to the 2nd input on the wet CLRs, that means that my effects and the band mix blends in the wet CLRs and I have separate volume controls for them to set the relative volumes, but my dry center channel remains pure, and gives me an unmistakably physical center to my tone.

It’s funny because back in the day I had for a short while a huge W-D-W setup that sounded awesome and was very versatile, but it consisted of two 12 unit racks, an amp head, a 412 cab for the dry center, two 212 wet cabs and a midi floor board, so it was a bitch to haul around or to check for possible culprits whenever there was a problem and it cost a fortune. I got rid of it quickly as it was simply too impractical, and I was tired of only being able to use it on big productions on big stages, with plenty of roadies and big trucks.
Also although big rigs were all the rage back then I just felt a bit stupid with a setup that big behind me and I actually preferred a more vintage rock sound, so I liquidated it and build a small, compact and killer 8 units rack rig centered around my Soldano X99 preamp for the modern stuff and bought a bunch of vintage amps for the proceeds, as vintage amps at that time was just considered old and undesirable so they were dirt cheap.

With the Axe II and CLR powered W-D-W rig I can get any tone of that refrigerator rack and then some, as I can get the sounds from a Tweed Deluxe, Super Reverb, Concorde, Friedman or any other of the amps modeled within the Axe combined with an appropriate cab IR and delivered superbly by the CLRs.
I can do all this with a very compact rig that I can comfortably bring myself, with just a 4 U rack, a midi board and 3 CLRs.
This rig costs a fraction of the big tube amp based W-D-W rigs from the past, sounds much much better, has close to no self noise, and there is no constant hunt for ground loops or other ghosts in your rack - that’s magic and money in my book.

Using the CLRs for bass guitar

I’m a guitarist first and foremost, but for some time I’ve had a middle of the road P-bass to lay down a few ideas on demos and I occasionally jam or stand in on bass.
I never had a dedicated bass rig as I would always borrow one on the rare occasions that I needed it. So I was very curious as to how well the CLRs would handle bass duties at apartment volumes and even more so at stage volumes.
The initial listening tests with program material gave me a lot of faith and confidence in the CLR’s bass handling capabilities - but as they say the proof is in the pudding.

So I enlisted our bass player, how is a monster R&B and rock bassist, to test the CLRs with bass.
We played a show in his home town, and he had some of his old friends come by and spend the day with us, two of those were also bassists and quite good at that. So I got to hear 3 good and distinctly different bassists play my rig with a quick preset we made in a matter of minutes with a SV amp sim and a SV 4x10 cab IR and just quickly re-tweaked for a minute or so whenever we changed the bassist. Basses were all 4 strings P, J and MM type and the styles included rock, R&B, funk and fusion-jazz and the sound was to die for in all instances.
The CLRs never broke a sweat, never farted out or broke up, it just delivered punchy and great bass sound.

To stress test the CLRs we turned it up LOUD, much louder than we’d ever have it at stage volume even at bigger stages – no farting out, just great bass sound.
Our bassist keept looking at his big amp head + 8x10 rig and shook his head.
He could no believe what he was hearing, and he’s talking about selling all of his bass amplification and effects and go for a Axe II + CLR rig instead in the near future.
I must say that I was equally impressed, and I’ve already told off Tom King for costing me more money ☺ as this sublime bass reproduction of the CLRs inspired me to sell the middle of the road P-Bass and order a Masterbuild Sandberg bass with P and MM pick up configuration instead.

CLRs compared to popular FRFR systems

As I wrote in the section about using the CLR as a mini PA I’ve had it head to head with quite a few other FRFR monitors in the prosumer price range including the K10s, K12s, HK Audio Linear 5 and RFC NX10-SMAs, but I’ve also had it head to head with a set of higher end TurboSounds (the model # escapes me – sorry).
I didn’t have all these monitors in the same room at any one time so I won’t get into contrasting the other monitors to each other, also this review is about the active CLR.
To cut to the chase the CLR easily came out on top in all cases and on all parameters concerning sound.
The dynamics, punch, frequency response, dispersion, clarity, dimension and depth of the sound is simply unmatched by any of those other monitors.
I can tell you that the owner of that set of TurboSounds was quite cocky before we fired the monitors up, but looked a little misty eyed as soon as the music played.

I haven’t had the CLR up against any of the D&B, L-Acoustics, Martin Audio or the like yet, but I truly believe that we’ll have to look at that class and price range of FRFR monitors if we want to find something that might be as good as the CLR, and I can honestly say that I’ve heard a lot of monitors costing at least 2,5-3 times the price of the CLRs that the CLRs would leave dead in the water.
A friend of mine who is a monitor and FOH tech, heard our monitor tech describe the sound I got from the CLRs, and contacted me wanting to do a shoot out with his set of hi-end Martin Audio monitors, so we are trying to set that up in the not to distant future.

CLRs compared to studio monitors

As the CLRs are advertised as Professional Reference Quality Monitors for the Stage! on Atomicamps.com, a comparison to studio monitors is really interesting.
If the CLRs really are professional reference quality monitors they should stand up well to the offerings from DynAudio, sE Electronics, Yamaha, Focal, Adam, Genelec and others.

I’ve tested the CLRs in my home studio against Dynaudio BM6As, at a friends (quite well equipped) home studio with sE Electronics The Egg and Focal Solo 6 BEs and lastly but most importantly in a professional studio with a perfectly treated control room that I’m familiar with.
That studio is run by a friend, and they have Dynaudio, Genelec, NS10’s and Adam S3X-V’s for nearfield monitors.

The CLRs have only one downside in this context, and that is size, as the CLRs needs a little more space to fit into the studio.
Having said that I was stunned at just how sublime they sounded and translated, and so was my friend the pro engineer.
In fact we devised a test, where we used a day to mix a song that we are both intimately familiar with as we had recorded it together a short while back.
We mixed the song on the CLRs using them as the only monitors, and we mixed the same song using the normal speakers in the studio, mostly the Adams, but using the NS10s and Genelecs as references.
We rough mixed first with both monitoring solutions, and then gave both mixes a final once over in the end. We took breaks throughout the sessions to ensure that our ears remained fresh.
When we finished we played back both mixes on both the CLRs and the Adam S3X-Vs and we both preferred the mix made on the CLRs regardless of whether we used the CLRs or the Adam S3X-Vs as our playback monitors.
We both noticed that the CLRs didn’t give us ear fatigue while mixing and that the extreme clarity, separation and transparency, the outstanding representation of dynamics, depth and space in the music presented by the CLRs made every part of mixing the song really easy.
Personally I’ve never been as confident about the eq’s, dynamics, delays and reverb tails or indeed any other subtleties being spot on in the mix as I was when we mixed on the CLRs.
Another plus for the CLRs is that because of their excellent representation of bass frequencies/low end, you don’t need a sub with the CLRs. That not only saves the cost of a sub, it also means that you avoid all the placement issues you can have when integrating a sub into your monitoring system.

Honestly, these are the best monitors I’ve ever used, and they wipe the floor with most of the usual studio monitors, including expensive monitors from the big names in the studio monitor market.
I’ve never tried the Barefoot MM series, the big ATC monitors and a few more of the holy grail really big bucks studio monitors, so I can’t compare with those, but I’ve heard an older small ATC monitor that was fantastic.
Until the mixing session described above I’ve had serious GAS for a set of ATC monitors but had restrained myself because of the price.
The GAS for a set of ATCs is gone as the CLRs brings everything I need to do great mixes with ease.
In another thread on this forum James Cullen posted that he tested the CLRs against his own ATC 100 monitors and that the CLRs held their own impressively well.
That confirms my impression of the CLRs and really speaks volumes to me as the ATCs are some of the absolute finest mixing and mastering studio monitors in the world - at any price.

Stuff I’d prefer different

The CLRs are close to perfect for me, and they tick all the important boxes right of the bat.
Still if I could change anything I wanted on them, I’d personally prefer to have a Powercon terminal instead of a standard IEC power inlet. Simply because it’s the professional standard, and secures the power cable better, so big foot, your bassist or a renegade member of the audience doesn’t accidentally kick your power cord and cut your power to the CLR mid-song.
I know this is nitpicking, but on a professional reference monitor I like to see the professional standards implemented. I also know that neither big foot, the bassist or members of the audience are supposed to be in a position where they are close enough to mess with the power cable – but Murphy’s Law always applies, especially for those doing bar gigs.
For most guys this is probably a moot point and I can imagine that Tom and Jay considered this and decided that it’s easier to get replacement cables in a pinch for generic IEC power inlets.
At bar gigs the level controls are also in harms way facing the public when the CLR is used as a wedge in front of you, but I find that position better than at one end of the monitor like the RCF has them, and you can always secure them with gaffers tape or similar if you play small clubs with the audience close to your monitors.
Overall these are very minor criticisms and nothing that would ever defer me from buying this monitor.

Conclusion

I wanted to live with these monitors for a good period of time before reviewing them so I had a lot of real world experience with them and was sure that I wasn’t susceptible to a “honeymoon period”.
I’ve tested these monitors extensively in a number of scenarios and applications. I’ve played them with electric guitars, acoustic guitars and bass at anything from bedroom level to full on stage volume.
I’ve used them as a mini PA, as personal wedges, as backline amplification and in mono, stereo and wet-dry-wet rig configurations.
Furthermore I’ve used them in the studio to mix on.
In all these scenarios and applications the CLRs have continued to blow me away with their exceptional sound quality, frequency response, punch, dynamics, separation, clarity, transparency, depth and space – and with their ability to perfectly reproduce what ever you feed them at low to extreme volumes without breaking a sweat and sounding musical all the time.
If your presets/patches sounds deficient in any way, then take a close look at your presets/patches as they (and not the CLR) are to blame - or as our monitor tech says “shit in = shit out”.

I seriously think that you’ll have to go to at least 2,5-3 times the price of the CLR to find anything that might compare to the CLRs, but even at that price point you just might be surpriced by what you’ll find in a direct A/B test.

The CLR really is a professional reference quality monitor, capable of Rock ‘n Roll SPL’s at a prosumer price - which when you think of it is utterly mind-blowing.

In short the CLRs have continued to blow me away and they still impress me even further every time I use them, so much so in fact that I’ve put my own money where my mouth is and have bought all 3 review samples from Tom

To stress test the CLRs we turned it up LOUD, much louder than we’d ever have it at stage volume even at bigger stages – no farting out, just great bass sound.
Our bassist keept looking at his big amp head + 8x10 rig and shook his head.
He could no believe what he was hearing, and he’s talking about selling all of his bass amplification and effects and go for a Axe II + CLR rig instead in the near future.
I must say that I was equally impressed, and I’ve already told off Tom King for costing me more money ☺ as this sublime bass reproduction of the CLRs inspired me to sell the middle of the road P-Bass and order a Masterbuild Sandberg bass with P and MM pick up configuration instead.

YESSS!!! and NOOOOO!! Ouch - my bank account! what to do now...what to DO? LOL! GAS-ing for CLRs now! WTF!?? :topsy_turvy:

Excellent review, btw. :encouragement:

Thumbs up on TGP and here it is here! Thumbs up again!

You did my review I am writing better and more extensively than my own review is. I had to read yours twice because it is so well done.

YESSS!!! and NOOOOO!! Ouch - my bank account! what to do now...what to DO? LOL! GAS-ing for CLRs now! WTF!?? :topsy_turvy:

Thanks man - and SORRY :)

Thin the heard and you'll have the funds to get a CLR in no time - see I helped :))))))

What a GREAT review !! Thank you ! If Tom didn't give you a comp set for this in-depth review, he should !... this review should help sell a S#@%-ton ! ( yes, that is a very scientific, and measurable term... ) ;-)

Great job...love hearing that people who have had access to much better equipment than myself are as blown away as I am...I can only imagine how happy I will be playing through a pair of em'...

Grat review thanks for taking the time to do this.
I will finally have one of these things in front of me on Sunday.
I wonder if I will 'concur" LOL!

Looking forward to your thoughts after the shootout. Just stay sharp in case somebody tries to spike your drink with some Kool-Aid. LOL

What are you complaining about... I buy it and have add shipping half around the globe ;)

And yes Rocket Brother... Review, Impressive, most impressive!!!

Please... don't start in THIS thread too... opinions are fine, but, your views are well displayed in other threads...

Dude -- you need to dial down the sensitivty knob a few notches ---- LOL

Have a peaceful and relaxing evening!

Very timely for me. I ordered a pair shortly before finding your review as I just got my invite this morning, so your findings confirm some others' opinions I trust around here. Thank you for the extensive, well done review. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom