Atomic CLR = Sonic bliss !!! In depth review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Ned,
on the rare chance, that I come across a superior product made by small business entrepreneurs like Tom (of Atomic), Cliff (among others) and now Mike of Frankenstands , I get excited to share the news of small USA based companys succeeding. Not to feed the stereotype , but as a musician, I have come to terms with my the fact that.. I am lazy. If it is not right in front of me OR at best one google away, I probably won't bother. Plus keeping up with 3 to 5 forums can be tedious.
So to make it easy for others like me, I include all contact info and video info. Then it is back to being a sloth until the sun goes down at least! LOL

FWIW I totally appreciate you sharing your find with these Frankenstands, and I don't read anything negative into the fact that you provided contact info - on the contrary I think it's great that you do.

Same here-I'm a soon to be owner of a CLR-So I've been trying to come up with an answer for my wife when see the bill-Maybe Atomic could change their Credit Card Header to something like-Atomic Mortgage Company Inc. or Atomic Power & Electric Co-lol

Also Mr King can you make my new CLR look like it is 3 yrs old? not new-So when she ask' is that new-No honey I've had that speaker for yrs.-lol

Send it to Tom Murphy. It will be aged for the same price as the clr itself :D

You do want your monitors to be as flat as possible... I was saying its not possible to have your frequency graph be perfectly flat.. There will always be slight dips at certain frequencies. But it was a small joke that you do not want a speaker to reproduce a 20hz wave at a high volume... Brown note... ;-)

It seems that the players that love the sound of a guitar on a polished record love the CLR... The ones who love the sound of a raw guitar blaring at your legs will still love a power amp into a cab, or maybe the matrix or Xitone, as they are probably not as flat as the CLR seems to be ( can't find a published frequency response graph...). I know that's kind of generalized, but that seems to be the consensus from all the feedback I've read.

I'll know personally about the CLR's on Wednesday, as mine are set to arrive... ;-)

Thanks, RB, for the measurement !

Just want to commend on this - Sometimes my goal is polished record guitar tones - but way most of the time though I'm after RAW guitar tones.

Whichever one of these I'm after at a given time, I can achieve it easily with the Axe II and CLRs.

Key to this is picking the right speaker IR - apart from the actual amp modeling in the Axe, the speaker IR is IMHO the most important part of getting the sound you want.

I can comfortably say that between the Fractal MIX IRs, my personal IR's and the new OwnHammer IRs it is very, very easy for me to get my rig to sound like the rig that I'm modeling with my preset is actually in the room with me - no matter if I'm going for raw amp tones or a more polished record sound.

Just want to commend on this - Sometimes my goal is polished record guitar tones - but way most of the time though I'm after RAW guitar tones.

Whichever one of these I'm after at a given time, I can achieve it easily with the Axe II and CLRs.

Key to this is picking the right speaker IR - apart from the actual amp modeling in the Axe, the speaker IR is IMHO the most important part of getting the sound you want.

I can comfortably say that between the Fractal MIX IRs, my personal IR's and the new OwnHammer IRs it is very, very easy for me to get my rig to sound like the rig that I'm modeling with my preset is actually in the room with me - no matter if I'm going for raw amp tones or a more polished record sound.

I keep hearing about these new Ownhammer IR...

Rex, that's a pretty good way of looking at things.

To build on what you've said, I suggest that the other requirement for quasi-FRFR to be effective is that it be your only source of sound. That is to say, it's effective when used as a backline (i.e. no Axe-FX direct feed to FOH) or in a home studio where it provides all your guitar sound.

This brings up an important concept, and perhaps another new term we can adopt. . . "patch portability". A significant advantage to using FRFR is portability of tone. To build on your colour analogy, there are tools and standards used in printing and photography that are designed to ensure consistency of colour. Monitors are calibrated so that my green and your green are the same. Printers are profiled so that the yellow sun on my screen prints with the same shade of yellow. Pantone has an extensive catalog of colors that are named and specifically defined. This is all about portability. When a company selects a colour for their logo they can be confident that it will look, for all intents and purposes, the same in an annual report as on a billboard.

Patch portability is all about ensuring, within reason, that the sound I spend hours crafting in my studio is the same sound the crowd hears through the FOH at Friday night's venue. The way to do it is to develop that sound on a calibrated system. A good studio monitor in a properly treated room is one (common) calibrated system. If my Friday night gig is played in a decent room with good speakers, EQ'd to accommodate anomalies, then my tone should translate reasonably well. If I monitor my playing on-stage using a CLR, or another high quality FRFR system, then my tones will be essentially the same. Maybe I decide to switch to in-ears along the way. If I pick up reference quality in-ears, I'll be good-to-go. The key to this working, and to patch portability, is starting with tones crafted on a reference system.

But real life is not like that, you say! No, a lot of venues and their FOH installations are less than ideal. Or, one set of in-ears may sound different than the next. One key to success in an imperfect world is to limit the number of variables. If I develop my tones on a truly neutral, reference system, then the only equalization required is what's necessary to account for the difference in that venue. However, if I've developed my tone on a quasi-FRFR system I have TWO sets of equalization's to do. One to account for the imperfections in the venue and a second to dial in whatever "colour" my quasi-FRFR system has imparted. The chances are good that dialing in that quasi-FRFR "colour" will be complex. Just think about how complex a speaker IR has to be to capture the colour of your favourite monitor. Have you ever tried using EQ to simulate a speaker IR?

So. . . I can see situations where quasi-FRFR can be desirable. The key IMHO, is understanding the limitations of that approach, and using quasi-FRFR wisely (i.e. within these limitations). FRFR solutions on the other hand IMHO, do not suffer from these limitations and as such, produce better results across multiple venues and output devices, with less effort.

Terry.

Well put and one of the reasons that one should seriously consider a reference quality monitor like the CLR, especially if you're recording or playing live with a FOH system.

Also I'll be willing to bet that in the very near future a lot of the patches/presets uploaded onto Axechange will be made on a CLR, and thus Patch portability could be an issue for those interested in learning how others dial in their patches or to those interested in getting a bunch of patches from "power users" to get them going.
The patches will naturally always reflect the "fingers or touch" and the guitar of the preset maker, but the CLR will take out at least one very important variable.

Why should it get closed ??

This thread has had an all time low troll presence

Let's keep it positive and lets continue sharing opinions and experiences about the CLRs

I couldn't really see why the other thread was closed, so I was checking...

My vote would be for the Mods deleting specific posts so the useful stuff can continue. Unless there's under-the-surface stuff going on that I'm not aware of. This may be true, as some people won't reveal the who they are (or even their locations) and clearly some of you know each other in the real world.

SO I'm probably being naive.

Well put and one of the reasons that one should seriously consider a reference quality monitor like the CLR, especially if you're recording or playing live with a FOH system.

Also I'll be willing to bet that in the very near future a lot of the patches/presets uploaded onto Axechange will be made on a CLR, and thus Patch portability could be an issue for those interested in learning how others dial in their patches or to those interested in getting a bunch of patches from "power users" to get them going.
The patches will naturally always reflect the "fingers or touch" and the guitar of the preset maker, but the CLR will take out at least one very important variable.

Actually for several years, Yek's patches have been doing all this with no requirement for CLR's. You usually have to adjust things anyway, but his patches work straight off with no problems; either with cab sims off as he routes it, from Output 2 in my case to the EVMs (see below), or with cab sims on though One to FOH or a monitor. Hopefully this isn't going to change as he moves forward into this brave new world of CLR ownership:).

But for clarity, let's call them these Patch Portable Patches "PPP's4FRFR".

Scary prospect - a future in which there's no point in owning an Axe unless you've got at least one CLR? At the moment nobody in YouRupp has been authorised to own one.... except the Favoured Ones of course.

Reactions: LVC
At the moment nobody in YouRupp has been authorised to own one.... except the Favoured Ones of course.
Not sure where this is coming from or what you’re trying to imply, Hugomack.

Atomic has already sold out an entire large production run of Active Wedges in Europe (including the UK and Scandinavia). They all shipped to people on the Reserve List in the order in which they got on this list – same as here in the US. Many of these people have documented this here on the forum.

You and I had a couple of very nice email exchanges where I informed you that we were sold out of Active Wedges but that you could get an Active Cab or either of the passive versions which were available at the time. You choose to wait for an Active Wedge (which, of course, is fine).

-TK

Not sure where this is coming from or what you’re trying to imply, Hugomack.

Atomic has already sold out an entire large production run of Active Wedges in Europe (including the UK and Scandinavia). They all shipped to people on the Reserve List in the order in which they got on this list – same as here in the US. Many of these people have documented this here on the forum.

You and I had a couple of very nice email exchanges where I informed you that we were sold out of Active Wedges but that you could get an Active Cab or either of the passive versions which were available at the time. You choose to wait for an Active Wedge (which, of course, is fine).

-TK

I did, and I continue to wait with no inkling of how long this might take; reading as the Favoured Ones in the USofA open their packages of joy, as I swallow my disappointment which I try to mitigate by making humorously intended posts here.

I'm sorry if I seem to challenge the Atomic Corporation's campaign to provide the world with sonic bliss. I hadn't even thought that I might be doing such a thing and stand corrected. I'll go back and stand in line again.

In the meantime, can certain people here try to temper their rampant joyousness for all things Atomic, if only out of respect for the sufferings of pilgrims like me.

I thank you.

Scary prospect - a future in which there's no point in owning an Axe unless you've got at least one CLR?

I agree with you that was a pretty ridiculous statement made by the OP. So now you need to buy a CLR because none of the patches in the Axe (after XYZ date) will work correctly unless it is connected to a CLR.

I am sure Fractal will appreciate and be supportive of this new marketing pitch. ...mmmm let me think ... maybe not.

To me the solution is simple if you want to use a "patch" that was created "exclusively" for the CLR.

Simply go to the amp EQ and put all the bands back at zero and disable any array of EQ blocks that were put in the chain.

Now the patch should work with just about anything you connect to the Axe. :lol

Last edited:
Actually for several years, Yek's patches have been doing all this with no requirement for CLR's. You usually have to adjust things anyway, but his patches work straight off with no problems; either with cab sims off as he routes it, from Output 2 in my case to the EVMs (see below), or with cab sims on though One to FOH or a monitor. Hopefully this isn't going to change as he moves forward into this brave new world of CLR ownership:).

But for clarity, let's call them these Patch Portable Patches "PPP's4FRFR".

Scary prospect - a future in which there's no point in owning an Axe unless you've got at least one CLR? At the moment nobody in YouRupp has been authorised to own one.... except the Favoured Ones of course.

I don't think you are being entirely fair (sarcastic understatement) to neither my post nor in particular to Tom King and Atomic Amps

I said nowhere that you would have to have a CLR or that a patch could not translate to another system.
In fact a well made patch made on a CLR will probably translate better to most decent systems than patches made on any of the other popular monitor options on this forum.
I only said that since many of us are going to be on the CLR, we will have the benefit to have the patches transfer easily.
The same goes for other users of the same monitor though - i.e. the many forumites that use RCF NX 10/12 SMAs will have easy preset transfer to each other.

Last edited:
Exluslisive for CLR...? You don't realize, that it only means you will get more honest presets, that will be much easier to adopt to your system.

It's like saying that, when you mix on NS-10s,then you mix exclusively for NS-10s.

I don't think you are being entirely fair (sarcastic understatement) to neither my post nor in particular to Tom King and Atomic Amps

I said nowhere that you would have to have a CLR or that a patch could not translate to another system.
In fact a well made patch made on a CLR will probably translate better to most decent systems than patches made on any of the other popular monitor options on this forum.
I only said that since many of us are going to be on the CLR, we will have the benefit to have the patches transfer easily.
The same goes for other users of the same monitor though - i.e. the many forumites that use RCF NX 10/12 SMAs will have easy preset transfer to each other.

Being unfair to you is one thing. You'd have to be rather humourless to take what I said seriously, which I hope you're not.

Regarding Tom King; I've made no criticism of him, Atomic or his product; yet he came at me as if I was. Well, to be frank, these forums and this thread especially ought to be critical of Axe related equipment. It would not help Atomic or any of us if this thread was restricted ONLY to comments extolling the bliss CLR owners are experiencing, and ruled out of order questions like the ones people like me have been asking.

As I suggested a few posts ago, try not to let this thread turn into Atomic advertorial. If TK had wanted, he could have told me when us Europeans might expect delivery. That would have been an acceptable response for a manufacturer to make on an open forum - except he didn't.

RB man, you sound like the cavalry galloping in to protect his wagons - from what?? And why?

Exluslisive for CLR...? You don't realize, that it only means you will get more honest presets, that will be much easier to adopt to your system.

It's like saying that, when you mix on NS-10s,then you mix exclusively for NS-10s.

Mix on an NS10, and your PPPsFRFR should work any where!!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom