What are the differences between expression pedals?

I have 1 Huge Fractal and 1 mini dunlop volume.

I use both at home, recording. Mini dunlop goes travelling with me. I wouldn't buy the EV-1 again in my case, since basically it's uncarriable for me.

The large form factor is what drove me to select the EV-1 instead of smaller pedals - matches up well to my very large feet :)

The large form factor is what drove me to select the EV-1 instead of smaller pedals - matches up well to my very large feet :)

It's not about the size of your feet tho. It's about being comfy with it and useful. If that's the case, ax-8 should be 10 times bigger so you can fit your feet to the footswitches, right? :)

As some others have mentioned in previous posts, there is also the new Fractal Audio EV-2 to consider.
(I don't have a release date yet, but production is underway).

This new product takes what people love about the EV-1 ... smooth linear action, built like a tank, Fractal logo ;-) ... and puts it in to a smaller form factor. I'll be able to fit two of the new EV-2 pedals in my backpack with an AX8.

You drive a hard bargain. With this coming up and the FX8 being on sale I might just go broke lol.

It's not about the size of your feet tho. It's about being comfy with it and useful. If that's the case, ax-8 should be 10 times bigger so you can fit your feet to the footswitches, right? :)

Well, I wouldn't say 10x bigger, but I wouldn't complain if there was a little more space between the buttons ;-)

For me, having tried MANY pedals, the PURPOSE is that made me settle on my choices. I wanted a short travel for wah, so I got a mission. I consider it expensive but it does the wah thing (think "feel") perfectly.
But to control effect depth and volume, I wanted a longer travel, a pedal that stays put, with no dead spots and smooth travel all the way. I used to use VPjr for that but broken wires mid show cured me of that particular brand, despite years of good service. So Now I use the fractal EV-1. I like the big form factor so I don't have to guess where to put my feet down.
For a portable rig I'd be interested in trying the EV-2, but for my main rig, portability is secondary to comfort. So I'm really happy with my choices.

Yeah the strings will eventually break on the Ernie Ball pedals, but they do last a long time (made of Kevlar). If it's going to be used for gigging, I would proactively replace the string once a year or so. The string kit only costs like $4.

Back
Top Bottom