[VIDEO] Ax8 tutorials, tips and tricks - compiled list

Here are parts 6 and 7 of the Ax8-Edit video tutorials.

These cover Axe-Manage Presets, the Cab Block, and Cab Manager.

The funny thing is, I couldn't release them until today, because some of my on-screen Finder browser showed a directory called AXE II Beta Testing! Cat's out of the bag now!

@austinbuddy these are really helpful to us newer folks. I guess you have to do a new series on the Axe FX III!

Just a quick heads-up, and I'm sure most of you know this already, but a handy thing I've been doing lately is to sweep the frequency range for nasty frequencies.

Add an EQ block after the cab. Set the level to max, q to 10 (so it's the narrowest peak), and then play a chord. Scroll through the frequencies until you find something that sounds awful, then adjust the level to something like -3dB.

The frequency will still be there at gig volume, just much easier on the ears. Currently, I believe I'm cutting about 4dB around the 3400hz area. The tone sounds much nicer to my ears.

Just a quick heads-up, and I'm sure most of you know this already, but a handy thing I've been doing lately is to sweep the frequency range for nasty frequencies.

Add an EQ block after the cab. Set the level to max, q to 10 (so it's the narrowest peak), and then play a chord. Scroll through the frequencies until you find something that sounds awful, then adjust the level to something like -3dB.

The frequency will still be there at gig volume, just much easier on the ears. Currently, I believe I'm cutting about 4dB around the 3400hz area. The tone sounds much nicer to my ears.

Good tip. I often find dropping 4k a few db smooths out the top end myself especially with raspy amp models like older Marshalls...

Lately, there has been quite a lot of questions and discussion about how to set the Out 1 level on the AX8. Different people have different strategies, some people also just set it at noon and don't think much about it :)

In this video, I try to show a few different situations and how to adapt to them. The video is fairly technical and systematic, probably downright boring, but I think it has to be to get the point across.

The short of the video is
  1. Set your preset levels using the vertical bar in the VU meters on the AX8
  2. Ideal situation Turn out 1 all the way up and plug into a +4 dBU line input without any gain added on the mixing desk/audio interface
  3. If 2 is not possible, and you have to go through mic pres, ask the sound guy to reduce the input trim/gain/sensitivity on your channels to minimum, then turn Out 1 level up as loud as possible keeping a healthy amount of headroom, so you are not clipping the input of the next device
  4. NEVER clip the input of the mixing desk, audio interface or FRFR speaker - keep at least 10 dB of safety margin. If you are coming in too hot - reduce the Out 1 level.
The general idea is that you should send as much signal as possible out of your AX8 but never more than the next device can handle. This ensures you get the best signal to noise ratio in all situations. If you send less signal out of the AX8, your tone will still be the same, at it will most likely sound great, but you will have slightly increased noise.

The video has its own thread here https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/video-recommendations-for-the-setting-the-out-1-level.135339/

Great video Leon. You really got that surf tone down.

Another thing, one can do with the spring reverb is to take in the other direction, suppressing the spring characteristic to create a subtle PSU light ambience. I did some experiments a while ago. I can try to see if I can recreate it, but you are more than welcome to use the idea for a video.

Great video Leon. You really got that surf tone down.

Another thing, one can do with the spring reverb is to take in the other direction, suppressing the spring characteristic to create a subtle PSU light ambience. I did some experiments a while ago. I can try to see if I can recreate it, but you are more than welcome to use the idea for a video.

I'd love to see what you can do with it. IIRC @yek mentioned he uses the spring verb to save on CPU, I wonder if he uses the same technique.

How I set up the looper.

Thanks Leon. That was very informative! Keep the excellent videos coming. Every time you open up new avenues to explore it is like having my investment in this great piece of gear increase in value. Cheers!

Leon, it is absolutely great to see you continuously making such high quality content. Your videos are an amazing resource that I highly recommend.

I apologize for being a bit absent from the forum these days. I read it daily, but I post very little. I have a few ideas for some videos that I want to do. I hope I will find the time to do them ... soon.

Leon, it is absolutely great to see you continuously making such high quality content. Your videos are an amazing resource that I highly recommend.

I apologize for being a bit absent from the forum these days. I read it daily, but I post very little. I have a few ideas for some videos that I want to do. I hope I will find the time to do them ... soon.

I look forward to these...soon :)

Back
Top Bottom