Ultra Version 9.01 Firmware Available

It's just an editor bug. It's been reported. They'll suss it out.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll 'chime' in with Java. I just spent a few hours here; damn fine update.

On the Fender/Vox/Dr.Z/Budda/Plexi stuff; this is the bomb. You'll have to redial from scratch on your amp EQ; but once you do that it's much faster to get killer ringing, cutting, but never harsh chime. It's going to sound harsh on your existing preset; redo your EQ by just trial and error, ala the good old fashioned knob twisting and it'll be 'there' ASAP. I've never heard top end like that except on the very best amps. Really, really easy to dial in Fenders and chimy sounding amps now. Wow. Tons of cut so clean and pure.

I reset all my PEQ's after the cabs for 120Hz at .707Q on Band 1 and 7116Hz at .707Q on Band 5. That opened up the top without getting any hash on the top.

On mid-gain stuff and higher gain stuff, this really allows the amps to cut at high volume without the sizzle. It's more a pure ringing top. I had rehearsal last night; so I have to wait till this weekend to hear it live, but I know what's gonna happen. It's gonna be GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. At about 110db I was laughing out loud; it just feels and sounds so natural without straining at all, it sorted out any weirdness on the top end on the brootalz without going peaky.

DIGGING it. Haven't even touched the Carol Ann, the BB or the compressor. I don't use OD or compression much, but I look forward to checking them out. I used to be an Xotic endorsee (I think I am still up on the Artist page on their site), so I have to check that thing out. (Edit: I am still on there; with a Hamer (man I miss that guitar) and... hair! :D http://www.xotic.us/effects/musicians/index.html?id=32 )

Scott Peterson said:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Fender/Vox/Dr.Z/Budda/Plexi stuff; this is the bomb. You'll have to redial from scratch on your amp EQ; but once you do that it's much faster to get killer ringing, cutting, but never harsh chime. It's going to sound harsh on your existing preset; redo your EQ by just trial and error, ala the good old fashioned knob twisting and it'll be 'there' ASAP. I've never heard top end like that except on the very best amps. Really, really easy to dial in Fenders and chimy sounding amps now. Wow. Tons of cut so clean and pure.

I reset all my PEQ's after the cabs for 120Hz at .707Q on Band 1 and 7116Hz at .707Q on Band 5. That opened up the top without getting any hash on the top.

On mid-gain stuff and higher gain stuff, this really allows the amps to cut at high volume without the sizzle. It's more a pure ringing top. I had rehearsal last night; so I have to wait till this weekend to hear it live, but I know what's gonna happen. It's gonna be GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD. At about 110db I was laughing out loud; it just feels and sounds so natural without straining at all, it sorted out any weirdness on the top end on the brootalz without going peaky.

DIGGING it. Haven't even touched the Carol Ann, the BB or the compressor. I don't use OD or compression much, but I look forward to checking them out. I used to be an Xotic endorsee (I think I am still up on the Artist page on their site), so I have to check that thing out. (Edit: I am still on there; with a Hamer (man I miss that guitar) and... hair! :D http://www.xotic.us/effects/musicians/index.html?id=32 )
Damn Scott!!! You looked like a kid back then!!! I actually think you look better bald... the Kirk Cameron hair didn't look too good on you! ;)

I love waking up to an email notification from Fractal News!!!!!!! I loaded up the new firmware right before going to work... didn't try it out, but I have practice tonight and I'm definitely gonna try it out there!!! Thanks for never being satisfied Cliff... Thanks for always being open to constructive criticism and suggestions...

mortega76 said:
Damn Scott!!! You looked like a kid back then!!! I actually think you look better bald... the Kirk Cameron hair didn't look too good on you! ;)

I love waking up to an email notification from Fractal News!!!!!!! I loaded up the new firmware right before going to work... didn't try it out, but I have practice tonight and I'm definitely gonna try it out there!!! Thanks for never being satisfied Cliff... Thanks for always being open to constructive criticism and suggestions...

I had that hair for just about 30 years before it started quiting on me one-by-one; so I fired them all at once about 10 years ago. That pic is from 2001 or 2002 I think. :D

Sup?

:eek: Don't know how I missed this last night but,,,,I'm installing right now, will report back later

Thanks Cliff :mrgreen:

MOSHON
DAVE

Regarding that CarolAnn..

Added “CarolAnn OD2” amp model. Based on the OD2 amplifier designed by Alan Phillips of Carol-Ann Amplifiers, LLC.

This would suggest Cliff has Alan's blessing to model his amp and use it's real name. Awesome! Has Alan heard the model? Does he like it? What's the story here Cliff? :)

Since this model is based on a ’65 Deluxe Reverb the model name was changed to “Deluxe Verb”.

Renamed Blackface to “Double Verb”. Renamed Blues to “59 Bassguy”.

I like the Fender name changes, way more intuative for Fender guys. Real names would be even better, but getting sued by Fender can't be fun.

The part that I'm curious about is the following:

Reworked CAE+ Rhy and Ld models slightly based on evaluation of Peter Frampton’s unit.

I wonder if Cliff (in his rock star status as the best Math-Man around), actually got a peek into Frampton's personal unit?

Scott Peterson said:

Nice Hamer. Actually I believe I own your old Artist Korina.

Shane

mortega76 said:
The part that I'm curious about is the following:

Reworked CAE+ Rhy and Ld models slightly based on evaluation of Peter Frampton’s unit.

I wonder if Cliff (in his rock star status as the best Math-Man around), actually got a peek into Frampton's personal unit?

Since this is my main tone building model, I'm curious too. I looked on Frampton's website, but he doesn't list that in his "gear" section. I'm curious if it's had any of the typical "mods" ( ie; Tranny, crosstalk, etc; ) done to it ?

Also, curious if Peter is now a Fractal "user", he doesn't list the Axe-Fx either ?

I didn't upgrade yet but it sounds like a great update.

Can we get some info on the amount of latency
the look-ahead compressor adds at it's max setting?

:?:

I have a question:

It says that Thump and Warmth hare defaulted to zero.

Does that mean that the most accurate settings are now set to Zero, or that those parameters are completely taken out of effect until you adjust them beyond zero?

What was the reasoning behind this?

This is my first update as an Axe owner as well. It's like getting a subscription to the "Amp of the Month Club!"

After testing the new firmware since last night, i have to say Cliff did it again, for me the Ultra is sounding even better, from the high gain to the low gain, just sweet!!!!!!

I never played with clean sounds much but the 9.01 Deluxe Reverb is so sexy sounding that I think I'm a convert. Man it's such a heavenly sound with a Strat.

Great job on the update, you wanted chime you got it! I noticed on the bogner clean there is also more chime, not sure if I like that since I use that as my main jazz sound and I like it dark but some tweaking seemed to get rid of that quality, I think. As for the fenders they really sound like the reall thing now! I have owned many fender amps in my day and I am now going to start using them, because I din't like them before. The compressor is great the look ahead feature makes it sound much smother where you dont even notice it and the bb preamp sounds awesome! I think this is my favorite drive model so far. Thanks Cliff!!!!!!!

Like the release notes state, the 9.01 amps indeed need less CPU capacity. I can fit in one more effect now.
Not too thrilled about the Caroll-Ann yet. The BB sounds great though.

EDIT: about the Caroll-Ann, I have to take that back. It's just that it's a different kind of tone, quite dark. But a delightful blues tone at low gain levels, and soaring (Gary Moore comes to mind) on the higher levels.

Dayum! I'm off the forum for a week or two and Cliff gets all busy and releases an update! With a new amp! And my favorite drive pedal!

Argh, I could have telecommuted today!

Back
Top Bottom