Tuner: do you want the magic ball removed?

Do you want the Magic 8-ball removed?

• Yes, I do want it to be removed.

Votes: 38 10.4%
  • No, I like it.

Votes: 326 89.6%

• Total voters
Loved the 8 ball...could do intonation tweaks at a show without bringing a strobe. Sorry to see it go. If you can't figure it out, then DON'T LOOK AT IT! Now all the "spoon feed me" complainers have gotten it removed at the expense of those of us who found it to be a useful and innovative tool. I am at a loss to understand the people that couldn't figure it out. Just tune a string up and down, watch the ball rotate one way and then the other depending on whether you're sharp or flat. Duh.

Boy, I'll probably get flamed for this post LOL

You shouldn't get flamed for speaking your mind.

I liked the 8 Ball and was mildy irritated to see it go, especially for the reasons given. This thread is a good idea - the silent majority too often suffer because of a strident minority. If you don't like it, don't look at it. I found the tuner works great with various guitars, including a 5 string bass with a low B.

So, with the "ops.. I voted wrong", actually we are 22 (24-2) ball-haters vs 178 ball-campers.

@javajunkie: try to check the nut slot on your B string and the saddle. And try to listen to it unplugged for a "sitar" artifact. I bet your nut, or saddle, slot isn't OK.

Nope, it is fine. It probably has to do with trem spring resonance. But it is a non issue now. The tuner doesn't exhibit the behavior on 7.01.
Again, not for or against the 8 ball. I intonate with a strobotuner and I am not looking at the axe-fx when tuning. I tune from the foot controller display.

Since the Standard with firmware V 6, the tuner has always been good enough for me, I never had any problem tuning or setting the intonation. Of course it got better afterwards but from the start it did its job well imho.
Another vote for keep the ball

I have added it back. If you don't like the ball I recommend ignoring it.
... IT'S BACK!...
8-Ball-8-ball-pool-billiards-smiley-emoticon-000721-huge.png
...THANKS CLIFF!

Last edited:
Thank you very much. It is appreciated. Also thank you for being sensitive to your customers. It's rare but it's one of the marks of a successful company.

Thanks, Cliff!

Also a legit decision, as the proponents outweigh the naysayers by closely 9:1.

As others said: don't like/understand it? Don't look at it! ("Do not even point at it!" :mrgreen)

Keep the 8 ball tuner! It's the only way I can tune my 7 string guitars and 5 string basses bc the regular tuner and MFC-101 display just aren't stable for me. The MFC-101 is worse than the Axe-Fx II display and seems to be double the resolution, so it jumps around way too much. I jammed w/ some new people last night and it was kind of embarrassing how I was the slowest person tuning bc I had to use the MFC-101 bc I couldn't see my rack from where I was standing and the other guys were using cheap little pocket and pedal tuners.

OT - I used FRFR for the first time last night and couldn't believe how good it sounded. I used an XLR cable straight into my Mackie Thump 15. I only had to turn up the mids and highs just a tad on the back of my Mackie :)

Back
Top Bottom