Tuner: do you want the magic ball removed?

Do you want the Magic 8-ball removed?

• Yes, I do want it to be removed.

Votes: 38 10.4%
  • No, I like it.

Votes: 326 89.6%

• Total voters

GiRa

Power User
Hi!

Cliff posted actual 7.01 notes, one of them says: “Magic 8-ball” has been removed due to customer confusion. Source.

As far as I can tell there's a lot of people happy with the magic ball and, as we all know, few people complainig will make a lot more noise than a lot of happy people.

So do you really want the Magic 8-ball removed?

Last edited:
I personally like it, thought it was cool, and would miss it. But I wouldn't want its existence to impede further development or load down FAS support personnel.

People were confused because it was never properly explained.

It's a bit like the Korg rack tuner Battlestar Gallactica mode. Everytime you look at it, you have to try to wrap your head around it again...

A stable and precise one is enough for me and I 'd rather see a polytuner than an 8-ball.

But I'm not one that wants it to go. Choices or refinements are good.
OTOH, it frees up some space again and most probably didn't use it.

The precision you're trying to achieve with it is possibly gone after one string bend and how many jazz players do we have here? ;)
The 8-ball is for control freaks / perfectionists, and because I am one too, I don't mind if it would stay either ;)

For intonation, it may well be better, I guess...

Last edited:
People were confused because it was never properly explained.

What needs to be explained? If the ball is still rotating then the string isn't 100% in tune yet. Seems very intuitive to me and I'm sure it makes the tuner more accurate. I would certainly miss it if it were removed.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

As a side note here, the 8 ball was all over the place with me on my two go to guitars. They were both due for a setup and I just did that. The 8 ball is working great now. So I wonder if many who are complaining of erratic behavior are blaming the tuner when in fact it’s their intonation etc.

Old strings too. One of my guitars hadn't had a change for a while and the G string was all over the place on the tuner. When I finally got around to changing them a couple days later, all was stable.

I've had no tuner issues at all with V7 for what it's worth.

What needs to be explained? If the ball is still rotating then the string isn't 100% in tune yet. Seems very intuitive to me and I'm sure it makes the tuner more accurate. I would certainly miss it if it were removed.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

The ball doesn't land on the same spot always, hence the confusion. If it were so intuitive there wouldn't have been any confusion. What can I say, you're just super special and the unwashed masses need more guidance, myself included.

A simple two line explanation sufficed for me.

Tuner is straight forward if you have used a turbo tuner or probably any similar strobe tuner. It's pretty obvious how it works especially as you can see the standard display at the same time & you can see immediately that:
ball rotating anti-clockwise = note flat
ball rotating clockwise = note sharp
ball stationary = note in tune

I'm confused that people are confused.

High E & B strings on all my guitars shake like crazy & won't settle down. Very annoying!!
The other four strings work perfectly on all guitars.

Don't care one way or the other about the magic ball, I just want the tuner to be totally steady on all strings like all the tuners I've ever owned.

The Lord has provided you with 2 balls. Play with those!! lol

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom