Tuner: do you want the magic ball removed?

Do you want the Magic 8-ball removed?

• Yes, I do want it to be removed.

Votes: 38 10.4%
  • No, I like it.

Votes: 326 89.6%

• Total voters
Gotta love the ball

Works better when tuning on neck pickup with tone down + picking note with thumb

The precision you're trying to achieve with it is possibly gone after one string bend and how many jazz players do we have here? ;)
The 8-ball is for control freaks / perfectionists, and because I am one too, I don't mind if it would stay either ;)

For intonation, it may well be better, I guess...

It's great for intonation, so you don't need a strobe tuner.

Accuracy is the biggest concern in a tuner and it has been great for me. The only real complaint I saw here with any consistency had to do with the MFC display of the tuner, not the 8-ball on the Axe II display. I use the 8-Ball, and like it a lot.

What needs to be explained? If the ball is still rotating then the string isn't 100% in tune yet. Seems very intuitive to me and I'm sure it makes the tuner more accurate. I would certainly miss it if it were removed.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Maybe it needs to be explained to everyone. I thought the tuner had to stop at the top of the 8-ball when in tune.

I agree with posts above. Make it whatever, just make it accurate.

The magic ball part of it isn't particularly great, but...the fact is that we kind of emulation of the way a stroboscopic tuner works makes it much easier to get that last little bit of tuning in place. So I don't want to lose that.

My Liquid Foot displays the flat/in/sharp part of the AFX tuner, but not the magic ball. I find myself constantly turning to the AFX display to really tune properly, instead of the easier-access LF display.

It would be great it was a spinning FAS logo. I think what might make it confusing is that for a "split second" is all the empty space of the circle. This is why having the logo spinning throughout the whole circle it might make it better for those folks having issues with it.

It would be great it was a spinning FAS logo. I think what might make it confusing is that for a "split second" is all the empty space of the circle. This is why having the logo spinning throughout the whole circle it might make it better for those folks having issues with it.

To THAT would be confusing!

In place of the 8-ball we could have some sliding band like in the "real" strobe tuners... Dunno, to me the magic ball is great.

Obviously it's up to Cliff and FAS in the end, but I personally loved the '8 ball'.

If there was a way for them to have two modes of tuner, such as 'Standard' and '8 Ball' that one could switch between say with the X-Y, it would probably be a win win :)

Tuning is one of my hugest pet peeves and it really helped me out, if it does go away I'm sure I'll be able to make due as I did before it was introduced, but I'll miss it :'(

I can understand where it could be distracting if you hadn't ever used a strobe tuner and didn't know what you were looking for. But I do want to say one thing and I don't mean it in a negative manner to anyone here, but the accuracy of the tuner isn't going to change if there is no ball, one ball or fifty balls. Put your thumb or piece of tape over the ball and that's the exact tuner that you are going to get now without the ball (unless he goes in and changes the sensitivity or something again). Tune it up just using the line; take the tape off and see just how 'accurate' you are now.

The way that it is supposed to work is that you use the line to get close to pitch and then when the magic 8 ball stops spinning you are balls on accurate. Location of the dot is irrelevant; it's about the direction of the rotation and not where it stops spinning. It's like having a magnifying glass here; you start out wide and then once you get close you zoom in with the ball.

Bottom line is that tuning 'accuracy' will not and cannot be improved by simply ditching the ball. You just won't be able to zoom in on it that last little bit which to me equates to less accuracy.

With that said the original tuner was pretty damn good to begin with and I have a strobe tuner that I use if I'm doing something like intonation or a setup. The AxeFXII's tuner did seem to be good enough to do those, but old habits die hard.

Back
Top Bottom