Tuner: do you want the magic ball removed?

Do you want the Magic 8-ball removed?

• Yes, I do want it to be removed.

Votes: 38 10.4%
  • No, I like it.

Votes: 326 89.6%

• Total voters
There simply need be two modes, Idiot Proof mode for those who don't get the ball concept and Super Accurate mode for the rest of us. I think since 7.0 the majority of the complaints went out the window though no?

If the spinning ball in the corner of the screen confuses you and you can't stop staring at it, then you need to ease up on the giggle sticks. Just saying...

I'll say it again. Maybe I'll make up a little video tonight.

Change your strings. Check your intonation! I had procrastinated setting up several of my guitars. I did so with a fret dress as well and there are no more issues with the tuner. Previously I had a difficult time with the B (2nd) an E (1st) strings. The tuner was all over the place. Using the 8 ball wasn't even a question as I seriously had a difficult time with standard interface jumping. Since properly setting up the tuner is spot on with no jitters and the 8 ball simply refines that accuracy.

I just pulled out another guitar in need of a setup and guess what? Jitters all over the standard tuner interface and especially on the B and E strings and an 8 ball that jumps more than rolls.

LONG LIVE THE 8 BALL!!!

Last edited:
There's all kinds of advice for tuning that can help and the new string suggestion is always a good place to start. One that I always do (and this is with other strobe tuners) is to use the neck pickup with the tone rolled all the way back and use my finger to lightly pluck the string. This does a lot of things; first all the cool sounding harmonic content and overtones are pretty much muddied out so the tuner can grab onto the fundamental frequency a lot easier. The neck pickup tends to do this better for me for some reason, but the tone pot is really important for this.

And lightly plucking with the finger keeps the string from buzzing and it also keeps the tuner from jumping sharp until the vibrations settle down. It also speeds things up a lot because you don't have to wait for it to settle.

And of course always tune in the playing position because the headstock's weight will pull it out of tune. And never finalize tuning with your hand anywhere on the neck as it will be off.

Always tune up to pitch, never down because the first time you bend a note it will take the slack out of the string's wrappings and go flat as hell. So if you're sharp. go flat, tune up to pitch slowly, stretch the string and then fine tune it until you hit it. Take your time if you are trying to be as precise as possible.

I thought the 8 ball was a great addition!

PLEASE don't let a few people ruin it for all of us! I really find it extremely useful

Thanks

I'll look into it but I got a bit disgusted with all the snide remarks so I'm not particularly motivated to bring it back.

How childish is that? As an AxeFx user I am disgusted that this over the top and very expensive machine hasnt got a decent tuner. Every tuner I plug in is by far more accurate and stable than yours. I dont care for the 8-ball but an accurate tuner is needed. Not even speaking about the one on the MFC... absolutely ashaming, an evident project fault, something you can obviously not correct. You have done great things on this machine and I thank you for this. You have got my money. Maybe start thinking about your reactions on customers opinions, many of them are not that stupid, they see your mistakes... and at the end it´s all good.

Ok what if there were 4 balls in the circle 90 degrees apart? Then the boneheads wouldn't keep trying to get the ball to be centered at the top.... or would they.

How childish is that? As an AxeFx user I am disgusted that this over the top and very expensive machine hasnt got a decent tuner. Every tuner I plug in is by far more accurate and stable than yours. I dont care for the 8-ball but an accurate tuner is needed. Not even speaking about the one on the MFC... absolutely ashaming, an evident project fault, something you can obviously not correct. You have done great things on this machine and I thank you for this. You have got my money. Maybe start thinking about your reactions on customers opinions, many of them are not that stupid, they see your mistakes... and at the end it´s all good.

The tuner has been fixed. You are missing the point of my post. I was referring to the 8-ball thing. No need to get upset.

Maybe if people said things with a LITTLE thing called "tact"... seems to be a thing forgotten lately...

I never got used to the 8 ball. I wont miss it.
When i change strings and intonate i do it on the bench with my strobe.

And i never had problems with the tuner, always worked fine for me.
But if its better ok!

Last edited:

wow!!

I just don't get this....
I've had not issues with the tuner at all..

I LIke the 8 ball. It's great for setting the intonation. Saves me pulling the old Peterson Strobe. Please keep it or something similar.

Back
Top Bottom