TODAY feels like "VERY SOON" to me

Well I for one, am really excited for this updated firmware. This is the reason why I want the world to know(or at least my part of it) to know, what a great device this is. Where else do you get something that gets better after you bought it. I can't think of many, if any. Thanks again Cliff, and the other assorted fractal employees that do and don't post on this forum. We love your products and we know we are a bit exuberant, but that's because you have built a product that we can be pride full of.

Last edited:
I have one amp left to match, a Blankenship Leeds which I hope to finish today. We were able to get the new Looper code into the release so we want to take a couple extra days and make sure that it works seamlessly but still shooting for 4/23.

Does this mean:

1. A new amp model?
2. (I don't know much about the Leeds) The plexi model has been knob-matched to the Leeds?
3. The Leeds is available as a Plexi Amp Block and Tonematch combination? Similar to what the Kemper does.

Axe-Fx II Firmware Release Notes

NOTE: THIS FIRMWARE MAY CHANGE THE SOUND OF EXISTING PRESETS. YOU SHOULD AUDITION ALL YOUR PRESETS AFTER INSTALLATION AND CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION AND TONE. AN AMP MODEL CAN BE RESET BY TEMPORARILY CHANGING THE AMP TYPE AND THEN CHANGING BACK TO THE DESIRED TYPE. THIS WILL LOAD THE MODEL WITH DEFAULT PARAMETERS.

Reworked power amp modeling based on new research. The power amp modeling has been totally rewritten based on “amp matching” studies. This includes improved output transformer saturation modeling.

Most amp models have been matched to their respective physical amps. Exceptions are those models which don’t have a physical counterpart, i.e. FAS MODERN, etc. The matching data is integral to the amp block and is transparent to the user. This has increased the size of the firmware slightly and also uses the master DSP for part of the calculations which increases the CPU load associated with the amp block slightly.

Many amps have received a complete overhaul based on the matching studies. The most notable are the 65 Bassguy, Deluxe Verb, 1987x Normal and Treble, Hipower Normal and Treble, all USA models, all Recto models, Euro Blue, Red and Uber, ODS-100 Clean and Lead, and Mr Z 38 Sr.

Reworked most tone stacks based on amp matching results.

Reworked most drive tapers to match actual amp. Master Volume tapers, however, are uniform across all amp models as this prevents drastic jumps in volume when switching between amp types.

In general most knobs now behave exactly like the actual amp when possible. In a few instances there may be minor discrepancies between the knob position of the model and actual amp due to programming constraints and/or peculiarities of the actual amp (such as poor potentiometer tolerance). Due to variations in presence circuit topologies the taper of the Presence parameter, in particular, may vary between the model and the actual amp. In other words, a different setting on the model may be required to achieve the same response as the actual amp. In most cases however, the Drive, Treble, Mid, and Bass knobs will be accurate to within 10% of the actual amp.

The Recto models have been consolidated. There are now four Recto models: Recto Org Vntg, Recto Org Mdrn, Recto Red Vntg and Recto Red Mdrn. These models are based on a late-model Dual Rectifier and are matched to those four channels of the amp.

Since Recto Org Mdrn was already a model and is now redundant, it has been replaced with the “Supertweed” model ported from the original Axe-Fx.

Added two new USA models: USA Lead 1+, which is the same as Lead 1 with the Mid Gain switch on and USA Lead 2+, which is the same as Lead 2 with the Mid Gain switch on.

There are now two “Brit JVM” models: Brit JVM OD1 and Brit JMV OD2. The “Prince Tone” model has been moved and the OD1 model is in its place so that the models are located sequentially. Both models are based on the “Orange” modes of the amplifier. The “Red” modes of the amplifier are equivalent to engaging the Boost switch (select Type and press Enter).

Added “Blankship Leeds” model. This model is based on a Blankenship Leeds which is a boutique version of an 18W Marshall. This particular amp is known for sounding “big” despite being relatively low power.

Added “Fat Switch” to amp block. When engaged, this switch, under the MID knob, shifts the center frequency of the tone stack down thereby “fattening” the tone.

Since the new output transformer modeling is improved, more effective and more important to the tone, this parameter, XFRMR DRIVE, has replaced the SPKR DRIVE parameter on the DYN (Dyanmics) page of the amp block. SPKR DRIVE has been moved to the SPKR page.

Added Definition control to Amp block. This parameter allows changing the fundamental character of the amp from vintage to modern or vice-versa. Positive values increase the amount of upper overtone saturation whilst negative values reinforce lower harmonics.

Added “Tone Match” block. This block allows sampling a reference tone “fingerprint” and matching the user’s tone to that sound. Please see the accompanying documentation for more details.

Added IR Export feature to Tone Match block. This allows converting the spectrum match data to an impulse response and saving as a user cabinet IR.

New and improved Looper. The Looper block now features a host of new features and improvements, including quantization, undo, half-speed, metronome, etc. Please refer to the updated User’s Manual for details.

Added Delay parameter to Cabinet block. This parameter allows delaying the signal up to 1ms. When running a stereo mode, or two cab blocks in parallel, delaying one cabinet relative to the other can achieve interesting comb filter effects. A common practice in studio recording is to use multiple mics on a speaker at different distances to intentionally introduce comb filtering.

Added third voice to Synth block. The first two Synth block voices now have a range of 40 – 4k Hz as this, in conjunction with the Shift parameter, allows tones over the usable audio spectrum. The third voice has a range of 20 – 20K Hz.

Changed Volume Increment/Decrement so that action only happens for a CC value greater than 63.

Improved tuner with strobe tuner accuracy and detection down to G0. Added “Magic 8-ball” display to tuner GUI. The 8-ball rotates clockwise if the note is sharp and vice-versa.

Added mute options to Tuner. “OUTPUT” mutes the entire unit when entering the tuner display and is the same as prior behavior. “INPUT” mutes the input to the device only which allows any delays, reverbs, etc. to continue to sound.

Added Program Change sync when changing presets via front panel. This allows MFC and Axe-Edit to synchronize.

Quick Control knobs now function when naming presets and IRs. Knob A selects only upper-case letters, knob B only lower-case letters, and knob C only numbers. Knob D moves the cursor.

Improved knob acceleration logic allows adjusting parameters more easily.

Improved some filter efficiencies resulting in lower CPU usage for some blocks.

Changed amp block reset (double-click Bypass) so that type is not changed.

Fixed "FILTER Q 4" in Resonator block mapped to wrong parameter.

Fixed attaching modifier to amp block INPUT TRIM parameter causes lag in other modifiers.

Added IR Export feature to Tone Match block. This allows converting the spectrum match data to an impulse response and saving as a user cabinet IR.

holy sh!t!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Awesome, awesome, awesome!!

Synth triads, here I come and hooray for the new looper.

A brutal tease nonetheless, having the release notes two days before firmware release :-x

CAN'T!

WAIT!

:mrgreen

Awesome! Thank you Cliff and the rest of the Fractal team! I can't wait to try it out, especially the revised transformer drive.

Back
Top Bottom