Studio Report

Sweet! The Axe is awesome. Even though I only bought it once, I feel like every few months I'm getting a new unit!
-
Austin

We shot through three different pres for each cab: Neve, Fearn and a GML. The GML is neutral. The Neve is, well, a Neve. The Fearn is very colored, in a good way.

I get that but my question is do you send the test signal in to the front of the amplifier through it's pre amp? Just trying to figure out how that works as I have never done it. I am assuming the other pre amps are on the mic.

If the test is sent through the amps pre amp doesn't that skew results?

Just to be perfectly clear, I am really just curious here not trying to be contentious. I have wondered about this for awhile.

I get that but my question is do you send the test signal in to the front of the amplifier through it's pre amp? Just trying to figure out how that works as I have never done it. I am assuming the other pre amps are on the mic.

We disconnected the cabinet and used a SS power amp to drive the speaker. You don't want to use any part of the amp itself since it won't have a flat response.

Step 1. Mic the amp with 4 mics.
Step 2. Play guitar through the amp while engineer twiddles faders on all the mics in front of the amp to find an ideal blend.
Step 3. Unplug guitar from amp. Connect neutral power amp to speaker input.
Step 4. Capture blended mic IR
Step 5. Capture all 4 individual mic IR's

Repeat process 3x (once for each mic pre-amp).

Repeat ad nauseum until you run out of guitar amps :).

I am curious if these IRs are going to be available from axe-change, or if they will be integrated into the new FW and system. If it's the latter, how will the format change with the cab block? I can't imagine we'll keep using the microphone emulations with proximity if these are hard-wired IRs. Any explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Would have loved to been a fly on the wall, for the last two days in that studio. Beats doing informatica programming for two days.

I'm not familiar with Informatica. After checking out the website, I'm pretty sure I don't want to know either. Just let me have my Visual Studio and a nice little SQL database and I'm good. ;)

I thought cliff mentioned in the past that we don't have any extra IR slots that he can put in... hmmm

Cliff (and crew),

Really appreciate your continual time and effort to make the Axe-FX line the premium solution for musicians. When I bought my Ultra, I was ever hopeful it would truly live up to my expectations. With such a wonderful experience with that product, it was a no-brainer for me to pull the trigger on the II. Like many others have opined, you and your company are amazing and I'm so impressed with the manner in which you treat your customers. I don't think I missed the email/mail from Honda or VW advising they were installing upgraded engine and drive train, and the inside of the cabin next month, all for free!!!

Thanks for the vision and implementation. You ROCK!

Cheers,

Lee

We shot through three different pres for each cab: Neve, Fearn and a GML. The GML is neutral. The Neve is, well, a Neve. The Fearn is very colored, in a good way.

is that Fearn meant to be like something else? like a Focusrite Red or API? I've never used one but have read about them.

Back
Top Bottom