Studio Report

The idea behind capturing IRs is to make good-sounding ones. There is only one judge of good sound, and that's your ears. So you set up the mics to make it sound good to you, then you capture that.

So, my assumption was correct? (Unposted assumption only made as I was reading every comment in this thread...)

The optimal mic locations are chosen based on someone playing a guitar, through a head, through the cab to be captured, through each mic and mic pre, into the console, observed through the monitors, then adjust the mics and fader balance until it sounds the best? Or until it sounds the most like it does in the live room? (I should've left my auto correct in there... It said 'love' room. Lol!)

You could do it either way.

I think the idea is to mic it up just like you were going to track it, listening the control room, adjusting EQ, mic position etc., until you get a sweet spot. Then instead of printing a track, you shoot the IR.

There could be some subtlties for IR use though. For example, some engineers will move mics and/or carve up the sound via EQ when they are tracking. They know ahead of time exactly what freq range will fit in the mix later for the particular guitar and part being played.

For use as an IR, there could be different considerations in regards to EQ and mic placement to provide a fuller or more general purpose tone such that it could be carved up with EQ later to taste.

I guess I was not keeping up but did the Fractal staff able to resume collecting IRs? It would be great if they did.

I guess I was not keeping up but did the Fractal staff able to resume collecting IRs? It would be great if they did.

There was going to be a second day doing all the modern cabs but the blizzard made them cancel .
I would love to know too .Did you guys get a chance to complete and what were some of the modern cabs you shot or were planning to

There was going to be a second day doing all the modern cabs but the blizzard made them cancel .
I would love to know too .Did you guys get a chance to complete and what were some of the modern cabs you shot or were planning to

Yep. Was wondering too, but didn't want to be pushy....

Back
Top Bottom