Ownhammer MES-Trad 4x12 V30 clippage! Best cab ever? Quantum crunchies!

Guys, it has been that way for a while now and Kevin didn't change that to mess with you or annoy you, he has his reasons.
Lets stay on topic here and discuss this awesome cab!
I'm not blaming him or anything, guess it's my fault for not reading the fine print. But now I have to pump out another $50 just to use these IR's. I was originally going to purchase cab pack 13 when you posted this and I saw these were $10 less than the cab pack so I jumped on it. I have been wanting to get into purchased IR's as everyone seems to say they are alot better than the factory cabs and I have yet to really bond with any of the factory cabs. Also I really like the Mesa Traditional cab, a friend has one and it really is an awesome cab. Guess I should have gone with my first impulse :(

I'm not blaming him or anything, guess it's my fault for not reading the fine print. But now I have to pump out another $50 just to use these IR's. I was originally going to purchase cab pack 13 when you posted this and I saw these were $10 less than the cab pack so I jumped on it. I have been wanting to get into purchased IR's as everyone seems to say they are alot better than the factory cabs and I have yet to really bond with any of the factory cabs. Also I really like the Mesa Traditional cab, a friend has one and it really is an awesome cab. Guess I should have gone with my first impulse :(

Once you convert these files you won't regret it man.
Ownhammer is pumping out the best IR's in the business so you don't want to miss out.
He is releasing another GREAT cab probably tomorrow.
I'll post a clip soon!

Last edited:
As always, killer tone, playing, arrangement, mix, and master Jon, you never cease to amaze!!!

I also recommend people to check these IR's out. This Traditional Mesa 4x12 cab (with the 70w V30 speakers) is one of the best cabinets out there. It's not only the "Petrucci cabinet" but also the cabinet I would choose to use if I had an analog tube rig. That's coming from a guy who has extreme studio experience with just about all cabinets imaginable. I haven't tried these IR's out but I'm sure they're some of OwnHammer's best IR's. I remember years ago when I wasn't even an IR producer I was talking to Kevin about this cab and how he has to do it some day. The day is finally here. Try it out guys, there's no way it's not worth the investment.

Great job doing these clips Jon you never cease to amaze with your style of building up energy in an alternative rock metal sort of way. Keep up the good work dude! Whenever I see you've posted a new clip I know there'll be some headbanging riffs coming my way. :D

Thanks for the kind words, Mikko. :) This is definitely a 'signature sound' type of cab, and you were right, a definite must have in the tone arsenal. Thanks for planting the seed all those years ago, your words and your fantastic work on CP7 were an inspiration and motivator to check this cab out. Thanks to Justin for providing the cab as well, you guys both definitely made this happen!

When it comes to that flavor of ice cream, people definitely can't go wrong with the ML CP7 or the OH MES-TR, and for the prices they go for, everyone interested in this sound should get both. Speakers are like snowflakes, and like Nick Raskulinecz said as soon as somebody else touches the fader, somehow the sound comes out differently. Both the ML and OH voicings sound great and compliment each other very well, and will certainly get people that Traditional cab sound, whether it's JP tone they're after or just those big chunky low mids over the signature Mesa 'thing'.

Guess I should have gone with my first impulse :(

No need to despair, a calm and polite message through the OH contact portal inquiring on the availability of Axe-O-Matic/aomDSP could have saved you the time and turmoil. Even now, it's not too late! :)

Ouch you've missed the red big bold message at the bottom of the page:
"KNOW YOUR PLATFORM'S FILE FORMAT!
THIS LIBRARY CONTAINS .WAV FORMAT FILES ONLY.
"

Yeah, the only way to convert these to FAS format is using Cab-Lab.

Sorry man...
Cab-Lab worth every penny, BTW.

Cab Lab is really awesome , probably the best companion to the AF2 ... At list the most important ;)

Wow amazing news if Kevin did finally get that Traditional 412 ,and did shoot some IR:s for that cabinet i need check also those IR:s definitely!

Jon, how much post production EQ did you use of the V60 clip?

Not a lot if I recall correctly.
Maybe cut some mids and slightly boost some highs with a high shelf.
No matter how good your IR is, I think it's always good to make the sound you tracked fit the mix best.
If it needs some slight eq, you should add it.
Some of the Slate Digital plugins I use tend to also add some subtle Mojo.

Jon, I replied to your PM earlier this week but never got a reply from you so I will ask my question in the general forum. I went ahead and purchased CabLab standalone. I wasn't sure which one to purchase but standalone seemed the best bet so that's what I got, hopefully I didn't make the wrong decision. I converted the .wav files to .syx using CabLab and it created 4 new folders: \II, \IR, \XL & \XL+. I figured out that 3 of the folders contain the .syx IR's for different versions of the AxeFX but I'm not sure what the \IR folder's purpose is. I did see that CabLab recognizes these .ir files in that folder but doesn't seem to recognize the .syx files or at least you can't load the .syx files in CabLab from my attempts anyway. So I assume to do any kind of mixing or whatnot with CabLab, you have to convert everything to .ir format? Anyway, now that I have the .syx files, is there a way to either try them out without uploading into the Axe or possibly a way to bulk-upload .syx files into the Axe? Does Fractal-Bot do this? I haven't tried it yet, I was using the Axe Cab Manager in Axe Edit up to now. I have been manually uploading them one at a time in batches of 10 or so and then trying them out but it's really tedious. Seems like there has to be a better way. Happily, I am really liking these IR's! They seem so much more alive sounding than any of the factory cabs although I admit I haven't gone through every single factory cab.

Back
Top Bottom