No Smoothing???

The problem is that it takes a long time to compute and will likely cause gapless switching to not work.
On behalf of at least a few, if this will be a "selectable" switch "gapless or smoothing", some of us who never even suffered from the non-gapless switching of previous firmwares will be absolutely fine with that and will choose smoothing. Hopefully FM3 can have it too!

On behalf of at least a few, if this will be a "selectable" switch "gapless or smoothing", some of us who never even suffered from the non-gapless switching of previous firmwares will be absolutely fine with that and will choose smoothing. Hopefully FM3 can have it too!
I obviously wouldn't expect anyone to forego gapless for smoothing. But if it can be worked out technically, party time.

I wonder if the FM9 can process audio while the smoothing calculation takes place in the background. If so, the unsmoothed signal could load gaplessly, then the smoothing could kick in when the computation was finished. If set to zero, no difference. If set to extreme, better to have unsmoothed initially for a moment than a gap.

I'll speak with the engineers about adding smoothing. The problem is that it takes a long time to compute and will likely cause gapless switching to not work.
Maybe a Smoothing Tool could capture the smoothed IR and write its altered version to an empty spot in storage? That'd get around the real-time issue. Beats not having it at all, if it breaks something else....

Maybe a Smoothing Tool could capture the smoothed IR and write its altered version to an empty spot in storage? That'd get around the real-time issue. Beats not having it at all, if it breaks something else....
That would be great. Even if the smoothing knob interrupted the audio when turned (like used to happen with De-Phase on the II) you could still dial it in while you are playing, then hit a button and save it to a user slot.

There are 3rd party IR softwares that let you do smoothing and export the result in .wav.

There is a solution to every problem.
This has been mentioned several times in this thread. It's a workflow issue (especially when using a large number of smoothed IRs), not an issue of whether or not it is possible by any means.

Try Cabinetron. It's excellent value and has a built in "IR Smoother", which sounds like a euphemism I know :laughing: It's actually good though and takes about 2 minutes to use on any existing IR you want to smooth out the frequencies on. Btw it can also do whole lot more, so well worth the $79. It's on sale every now and then as well, has a trial version etc. I'm not affiliated in any way with the product, just think it's good.

https://www.threebodytech.com/en/products/cabinetron
I have cabineteon and like it a lot.

Last edited:
So far, the least painful method I've found for Smoothed IRs on the FM9:

Use my Axe III's Synth block (white noise) as input to the desired cab (with Smoothing) and subsequent Tone Match block. Capture the Tone Match and export it. Import into the FM9. PITA compared to turning a knob, especially if you have to do it hundreds of times.

Anyone have a better suggestion? I'm trying to find solutions with what I do have rather than focus on what I don't have.
I’d give a trial of Threebody Tech’s Cabinetron a go. I have it a love it. I’ve not tried the smoothing but I may be checking it out tonight.

I use it in my mixes. I record a DI, reamp through FM9 without a cab block, then use Cabinetron in the mix session for in the box tweaking in the mix.

As a side, if you had time could you share an audio clip of a driven tone with and without smoothing? I’m curious about the tonal impact.

Back
Top Bottom