LIST OF MODELS

I could port the old one over as-is. I was going to buy a Chieftain and put it through the whole analysis process but porting it would take about an hour.

now that you mention this: were ALL of the other amp models rebuilt from scratch or ported? i'm particularly interested in the VH4 and recto sims, since these are my favorites on the AxeFX standard

Look towards the bottom of the list:

"ODS-100 CLEAN",
"ODS-100 LEAD",

This is a great list of amps. Which one is the Jose-modded Plexi?

I might miss the FAS Fusion. That was always a fun one. But there are others that can pretty much get that same sound, so no big deal.

I liked the tube-pre for acoustic as well, but eq, compressor, and the tape dist drive block is a good work-around.

What's the difference between the ODS Clean and Lead and HAD ODS in the ULTRA? For some reason, I seem to like the HAD better. But I need to go back and compare.

As I said before, haven't finished porting all of them yet.

I could port the old one over as-is. I was going to buy a Chieftain and put it through the whole analysis process but porting it would take about an hour.

I'm confused. The second statement implies that 'porting' a model means adapting the old model to the new platform rather than putting the amp through the whole analysis process. The first statement implies that the list of new amps is comprised of at least some 'ports'. Is this list of amps in the Axe II comprised primarily of 'ports' from the old unit, or have they been 're-analyzed', or am I completely misinterpreting the term 'port'?

Not that it matters, I'll be buying the II eventually anyway based on other improvements. I am just curious.

As I said before, haven't finished porting all of them yet. As for Eggie... It's just a Blues Jr. with no negative feedback.

I'm still trying to get my hands on a Chieftain.

Just asked Andy it is a '95 Chieftain ... you can reach him on twitter @lowercasenoises or pm me for is email address

I'm confused. The second statement implies that 'porting' a model means adapting the old model to the new platform rather than putting the amp through the whole analysis process. The first statement implies that the list of new amps is comprised of at least some 'ports'. Is this list of amps in the Axe II comprised primarily of 'ports' from the old unit, or have they been 're-analyzed', or am I completely misinterpreting the term 'port'?

You're overthinking it. He said he could port it over "as-is", ie, without the analysis, which would be quicker and wouldn't require having an actual amp for comparison, but might not be as accurate. I get the impression he's trying to do all of the new models with the analysis, now that he has more cash to acquire reference units, but is willing to skip that at least temporarily if people really miss something.

I'm happy to wait for the more accurate models, personally, even if it means going without the Buttery model for a bit - but then, I'm taking my time before ordering one, just because I'm still quite happy with my Standard, so I'm not exactly enduring anything.

Just asked Andy it is a '95 Chieftain ... you can reach him on twitter @lowercasenoises or pm me for is email address

How different are the Chieftain and DC-30? I don't have any experience with either, but I do like the "Boutique" model in my Standard a LOT.

How different are the Chieftain and DC-30? I don't have any experience with either, but I do like the "Boutique" model in my Standard a LOT.

I am in the same boat as you, I like the "Boutique" model, which is based on the Chieftain. as for the differences between the DC-30 and the Chieftain ..... I am interested myself as I think they are both based on the AC-30.... no??

Definitely not your father's Bassman. Has a pissed-off Marshall vibe to it.

So does my 64 6g6b! It's an amp with cajones... That's what I love about it!!! It's the only piece of tube gear I have left, and man, is it loud... I've come to appreciate getting really, really good tone at a reasonable volume.

In fact, I wanted to see something like it so badly that I considered adding it to the "add" list several times, and offering to send it off to have it modeled. Never did it, because I figured consensus would be that it was too close to either the brownface, or the JTM 45 (which it's not really too close to either...). I'm thrilled to see this in here! Thanks Cliff!

Last edited:

Not that it matters, I'll be buying the II eventually anyway based on other improvements. I am just curious.

The amps I haven't ported yet are because I don't have the real amp yet. I could use theoretical values but I would rather not. Almost all the amps in the Axe-Fx II are based on actual amps.

I'd say if anything gets ported just name it AmpX (Legacy Model) or something so people know what's HD and what's SD

I am in the same boat as you, I like the "Boutique" model, which is based on the Chieftain. as for the differences between the DC-30 and the Chieftain ..... I am interested myself as I think they are both based on the AC-30.... no??

Supposedly the DC-30 is closer to the AC-30, whereas the Chieftain has been described as more "Marshally" with a thicker midrange, or (elsewhere) "the DC-30 is an EL-84 Vox tone, and the Chieftain is a EL-34 RCA Bassman pre into a Marshall Plexi type tone."

Someone said upthread that the DC-30 was the Matchless to get, but the Chieftain sounds pretty damn good to me... I guess ultimately it'd be nice to have both, unless the DC is close enough to the AC to already be covered.

Last edited:
The amps I haven't ported yet are because I don't have the real amp yet. I could use theoretical values but I would rather not. Almost all the amps in the Axe-Fx II are based on actual amps.

That's great. I'd say for the remaining models: let's get it the first time (no porting of the current model). To avoid confusion.

chase said:
Supposedly the DC-30 is closer to the AC-30, whereas the Chieftain has been described as more "Marshally" with a thicker midrange, or (elsewhere) "the DC-30 is an EL-84 Vox tone, and the Chieftain is a EL-34 RCA Bassman pre into a Marshall Plexi type tone."

Someone said upthread that the DC-30 was the Matchless to get, but the Chieftain sounds pretty damn good to me... I guess ultimately it'd be nice to have both, unless the DC is close enough to the AC to already be covered.

Cool, thanks

That's great. I'd say for the remaining models: let's get it the first time (no porting of the current model). To avoid confusion.
I can see both sides of the coin on this issue. You don't want 'less superior' algorithms in the new unit, but at the same time, I'd sure like to not lose Supertweed if I sold my Ultra to buy the II. BTW, isn't the Supertweed a Fractal creation like the FAS amps?

I say port the currently existing models as placeholders until the updated Axe-Fx II versions are included because it seems like the lesser of two worst case scenarios.

Scenario A: "whaa, not enough amp models in the Axe II, the Ultra had more"

Scenario B: "meh, it kinda sounds the same. Oh well, at least the new unit has a metric crap-ton of new features and improved usability."

"Meh" seems better to me than "whaa." And besides, you could even avoid the "meh" altogether if you just included a list in the firmware documentation specifying which amps are new, updated versions and which amps are the older ports so reviewers don't pick the wrong model and give a "um, sounds the same to me" review.

Last edited:
Probably better to not include any amp models that haven't been updated. It's better to start fresh and go from there. It would make it harder for him to deprecate certain models that he may decide to deprecate (if he's still cleaning house) as he's going through them if the old model is already in there as a place holder and people are using it. Plus, the tone will be affected after they're updated, so people would have to adjust their patches anyway. Might as well just wait for the real deal.

Last edited:
Cliff, Are the amps in the Ultra/Standard based on the actual amps too or are they based on theoretical values?
If not, are there plans on doing this?
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom