Introduction thread

Hi, my name is Scott from SoCal. I've been playing guitar for 30yrs(my God that makes me feel old). Just got my Axe II and love it! I've been playing Peavey 5150 for a long, long time. I really love the amp but its getting old and been searching for a new amp for a few years. I thought i had it narrowed down to Engl or Mesa V but i seem that everybody and there grandmother was switching to the Axe. So i made the jump. I don't know what power amp to go to yet but thanks to this awesome forum i can do some investigating.

my main guitars:
Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson Explorer
Fender Diamond anniversary strat
Fender 79 strat
Taylor GA koa

AMP:
Peavey 5150 Block letter
Mesa cabs

too many pedals and effects to list...all to be replaced by the Axe II

Hi my name is Phil and i'm from the North East of England, looking to buy an Axe Fx II, so looking forward to reading the threads of the forum and getting my head mashed with all the info ha ha.

Welcome Phil
smiley-greet024.gif

Oh and all others who've said "Hi' without a response as yet too!
thumbsup.gif

Hey everyone! Just saying hi, been holding off on leaving tubes behind for a bit now but I think it's time to finally give the axe fx a try. I'll just keep the tube poweramp a bit while longer ;)

Hi all!!

I'm Dave, from Ireland. I'm 35, close on 36, and have been playing guitar since I was eight. It's depressing how many years that is now! :)

Where to start? I'm a recording and mastering engineer, acoustic consultant, and full time music teacher. On the recording front, I've recorded many small projects, nothing anyone would have ever heard of, probably, and I don't master anything I've recorded if I'm being paid for it, and vice versa. I've designed the internal acoustics for a small cinema, a couple of venues and been involved in a couple of legal cases in a consultative capacity. I have an ALCM from the London College of Music in instrumental teaching, Grade 8 in Electric Guitar from the same body, and am currently studying for my ABRSM Grade 8 in classical guitar (hoping to get it in the summer).

I teach guitar, bass, banjo and mandolin full time, although guitar is the first and foremost love. Banjo, however was my first instrument (Irish tenor 4 string, not 5 string, of which I haven't a clue! :) ). Teaching keeps me extremely busy, not leaving me much time for anything else apart from work and my wife.

I've played in many bands since my first when I was 15 (a metal originals one). When I was 17 I got a job playing with a rock and roll band, and realised the value of loosening up my playing. I gave up for 2 years in a silly attempt to streamline my life more towards the engineering side. It quickly turned very depressing, and was only balanced out by the joy I had when I started to play again. I broke out my old 1960's AC15 head, splashed out on an AC30 and started to gig again. This was followed by a Marshall JVM stack (after living abroad for a couple of years).

I've always believed that digital was the way to go, hearing all the hubub about things sounding 'digital' and consigning such phrases to the bin ever since I heard the first gen pod through the power stage of a Marshall 100 watter. So far, I've played in metal covers bands, a grunge style originals band, numerous middle of the road rock covers bands, a ZZ-Top Tribute, a Kings Of Leon tribute, and an Abba tribute. Yup, I have no musical snobbery! :D Good music one and all!

I invested in an Ultra in 2010, and haven't looked back. I sold my JVM and AC30, finding the Ultra an adequate replacement. 8 months ago I bought an Axe 2, and found it not only to be a replacement, but it surpassed everything I had experienced in amps.

Since my amp journey has finished, I have started to invest in guitars. I find that there are gems everywhere. I have an old Hohner Les Paul copy with Gibson burstbuckers and a revamped custom paintjob that resonated like nothing else. I have a 1994 Jackson Soloist Pro (recently replaced the pickups with a Bareknuckle Aftermath, DiMarzio ProTrack and Air Norton), a 2006 Parker Fly Deluxe (which needs a paint repair job - gig worn), a custom superstrat (Ibanez ZR Trem, Duncan pickups), a custom double cut (Duncans and Kent Armstrong pickups), a self-built 8 string (Kahler tremolo, Blackout 8s), an Eko 1960s 12 string, a Takamine acoustic, and a Santos Martinez classical. I currently have a custom baritone 6 string on order. I'm not a fan of Fender or PRS guitars, finding that I can get very similar sounds out of the ones I have without the exorbitant pricetags (and yes, I've played top notch ones.... fine guitars..... fine price too though).

In everything, I believe the goal can be lost by concentrating on the minutiae..... from over-focus on technique over passion or vice versa, or on equipment rather than the goal. Guitar heroes are Tommy Emmanuel, James Hetfield, Joe Bonamassa, and the reason I play guitar at all, Mark Knopfler. I've been known to shred, but dislike the shred culture. Yup, I've bough Passion and Warfare, Rising Force, and Surfing With the Alien, and yawned through most of the tracks (except Midnight). Amazingly skilled guys, don't get me wrong, but it's like a little like giving a quantum mechanics lecture. Interesting ideas, but I just don't spark that way, musically. Give me Floyd over Satch, and Marbletown over Paganini any day! :)

I listen to everything, and can appreciate most styles. Lately, it's been Meshuggahs 'Koloss', Infected Mushrooms 'Converting Vegetarians', and Steve Reich that have been blowing my hair back.

Anyway, Hi everyone! :)

Hi guys!

My name is Shreyas, and i'm from Bangalore, India. I've been eyeing the AxeFx series for over a year now and i think i might finally give in and pickup an Axe Fx II in the next few months.

I play for Limit Zero, we're a progressive metal band from bangalore. We've released an EP (in 2008) and an album titled "Gravestone Constellations" (in 2012).

Over the last few years i sold most of my equipment. I lost the desire to own a bunch of guitars/equipment that i rarely ever use. So my rig as of now is:
Daemoness Cimmerian "Singularity" 7
POD X3 Pro
And a bunch of pedals that i use every now and then.

Cheers guys! I'm looking to learn my way around the axefx before i buy one so i don't look like a complete idiot when i finally get one in my hands.

Hi folks! I'm Pim from the Netherlands, 28 years old, picked up playing guitar at age 10. Actually started playing after my brother picked it up, as I sneaked into his room when he wasn't there and secretly played his guitars. His old guitars are long gone and sold, but almost everything related to guitars I've bought so far is still in my possession. Except one tiny Fender practice amp Fortunately I never owned that much gear like separate stompboxes, always been into multi-effects units. Started out with a small Zoom 505, moved up to a Boss ME-50, last couple of years I've been toying around with a Digitech RP1000 and two weeks ago finally mustered up the courage (and money) to get the holy grail in the shape of an Axe FX II. I think it took approximately 7 minutes to fall in love with it (the first 6 were spent looking for an extension cord). Only thing missing so far is the MFC pedal, but I'll fix that next week when my salary comes in. I'm working as a PhD-student in Chemical Engineering by the way.

The rest of the mandatory gear listing: guitars include my Gibson Epiphone strat-type thingy of which I never remember the actual type (has a delicious maple neck though) with Fender noiseless pickups, a Fender Strat HSS, a Fender Tele (spalted maple, 2 humbuckers), an Ibanez RG7 321 with DiMarzio D-Activators, and on the acoustic side an Ovation and a plain Fender. Amps currently are a Peavey Bandit 112, a Peavey Renown 212 (which has a terrible hum unfortunately) and an Atomic Reactor FR (active cab).

Like many people here I also play in a band (see profile for links if you're curious, I don't want to spam it right here as an introduction), so one of the things I'm very interested in would be other people's live setups and tips/tricks related to that versus regular rehearsals/bedroom jamming. Found several helpful threads on it already, so I think this forum will be very useful for me. See you around!

Hi folks! I'm Pim from the Netherlands, 28 years old, picked up playing guitar at age 10. Actually started playing after my brother picked it up, as I sneaked into his room when he wasn't there and secretly played his guitars. His old guitars are long gone and sold, but almost everything related to guitars I've bought so far is still in my possession. Except one tiny Fender practice amp Fortunately I never owned that much gear like separate stompboxes, always been into multi-effects units. Started out with a small Zoom 505, moved up to a Boss ME-50, last couple of years I've been toying around with a Digitech RP1000 and two weeks ago finally mustered up the courage (and money) to get the holy grail in the shape of an Axe FX II. I think it took approximately 7 minutes to fall in love with it (the first 6 were spent looking for an extension cord). Only thing missing so far is the MFC pedal, but I'll fix that next week when my salary comes in. I'm working as a PhD-student in Chemical Engineering by the way.

The rest of the mandatory gear listing: guitars include my Gibson Epiphone strat-type thingy of which I never remember the actual type (has a delicious maple neck though) with Fender noiseless pickups, a Fender Strat HSS, a Fender Tele (spalted maple, 2 humbuckers), an Ibanez RG7 321 with DiMarzio D-Activators, and on the acoustic side an Ovation and a plain Fender. Amps currently are a Peavey Bandit 112, a Peavey Renown 212 (which has a terrible hum unfortunately) and an Atomic Reactor FR (active cab).

Like many people here I also play in a band (see profile for links if you're curious, I don't want to spam it right here as an introduction), so one of the things I'm very interested in would be other people's live setups and tips/tricks related to that versus regular rehearsals/bedroom jamming. Found several helpful threads on it already, so I think this forum will be very useful for me. See you around!

Hoi Pim, welkom! :)

When's the new Axe Edit come out?

jk, my name is Raphael, I'm new. I'm 26, from Brooklyn, NY. Been playing guitar for around 9 years. Got sick of lugging around my rig and shit so I got the axe fx II a couple days ago. Looking forward to getting involved in the community. I play in a melodic doom metal band called Fin'amor: www.facebook.com/finamorband

I think he's my very favorite too. I just love his tone, composition, and talent. Greetings!

Thank you, pleased to meetcha! :)

Yeah, I wore out Brothers In Arms when I was a kid. I had it on old tape, first album I owned. I remember seeing him play on TV with George Michael (I think) and the tone he got from his Les Paul....... like having your ears massaged from the inside out. :) Taste, style, composition, everything. :) I've been chasing it ever since, but my work keeps me from doing much personal tone chasing.

ahhh... I guess I'm a bit late to this thread....
may as well fill it in anyhow I guess...

I'm Paul Clark.. everyone calls me Clarky [even my mum and sisters.. jeez]
born in London, but now living in Berkshire
I'm a guitarist, producer, writer / composer

guitar styles - Prog Rock, Classic Rock, Metal, Funk [that said I'm partial to a little blues, reggae.. and pretty much anything I guess]
although I'm not really a classical guitarist, I do play classical music [writen for other instruments - cello, violin, flute, organ, harpsichord etc]..
that said, when it comes to session work I'll play [have played] pretty much anything

compositional styles: Prog Rock / Prog Metal, neo-classical metal [with full orchestra and choir], funk
been playing guitar since Nov 4th 1978 [1st song = House of the Rising Sun]

music taste: this is vast.. I guess you could say that I just love pretty much all music.. including non-contemporary or western [cos I love world music too.. Irish Trad, Scots and English folk, N. African, India, Zulu, Japanese, Indonesian Gamalan, a variety of tribal music types...].. and I'm not limited to guitar only music either [cos I love drums.. ethinc instruments.. synths and electronica..]
essentially, if it makes a noise, I'm into to it..

I'm mainly a super-Strat player [my V's are funciotnally super-Strats that just happen to have a V shaped body]
I also play drums, keys, bass, 5-string bluegrass bango [which I adore.. it so makes me smile when I play bluegrass]

studied music [classical stuff - composition, harmony, history etc] at the University of London

played in many bands both as a member and as a session player

I play for the David Cross Band [since 1992] - David was a former member of King Crimson
so as you'd expect, his music is very angsty progressive rock..
when I get the chance I'll try to get him to tip-toe across the border to Prog Metal..

Back
Top Bottom