Introduction thread

Hey there @L-Plates ,

Welcome to the Fractal community. Imho I dare to say that you just bought the best of the best.
As You didnt mention it I take it you didnt consider the output from your Fractal yet? I mean like headphones, FRFR CAB or CAB with a Solid State Amp combination etc? This is just as important for your tone as the Fractal is. But non the less, you can dial in forever to get YOUR tone, seriously no kidding its amazing. And what @Rex sayd about the tone and cranking up your practicing --> He is right ;)
Axe-edit has a feature called AxeChange... do visit there and audition some of the tones from the comunity, its a great influential starting point.

See you around

Cheers
Hey mate - thanks :)

Not really considered much yet around what's going to go with it. In fairness I spent much more of my budget than I anticipated on the Axe. I was contemplating various options (Helix etc.) but once I knew of the existence of this, there was really no way I couldn't not get one!

Next will be a guitar - haven't even considered the In, never mind the Out! Probably be another Ibanez since that's what I used to have (and I really like the look/style of that Strat style). Hopefully there'll be some good Black Friday sales. And headphones. Longer term goal will be some good monitors and so I can jam into a DAW. Eventually an FRFR. But so much to understand in the meantime. And a lot of saving to do...

Yeah, been looking through Axechange and looking forward to trying out some of the Tool inspired tones. And so many others.

Meanwhile, just been watching Youtubes on using the Axe and going through the manual and trying to learn what I can without actually having one to play with

Hey mate - thanks :)

Not really considered much yet around what's going to go with it. In fairness I spent much more of my budget than I anticipated on the Axe. I was contemplating various options (Helix etc.) but once I knew of the existence of this, there was really no way I couldn't not get one!

Next will be a guitar - haven't even considered the In, never mind the Out! Probably be another Ibanez since that's what I used to have (and I really like the look/style of that Strat style). Hopefully there'll be some good Black Friday sales. And headphones. Longer term goal will be some good monitors and so I can jam into a DAW. Eventually an FRFR. But so much to understand in the meantime. And a lot of saving to do...

Yeah, been looking through Axechange and looking forward to trying out some of the Tool inspired tones. And so many others.

Meanwhile, just been watching Youtubes on using the Axe and going through the manual and trying to learn what I can without actually having one to play with
Well, hope the rest of the gear you buy all ends up inspiring you. The Axe III and my Majesty have inspired me SO much, that I play every day for at least an hour, some days several, and because of it, I'm much better than I used to be. May it be similar for you!

Hello all, first post.

Name is Dom. New to the forum and the Axe FX III. I’m in my mid 50’s and have been playing guitar since my teens. I’ve been fortunate enough to be in the same band for 25 years now, we played all along the East Coast in our prime, opened for a few big names. Since the pandemic hit we really haven’t gigged much, but still get together to keep our chops fresh.

I’ve been a tube snob for years (1st step is admitting it) but always dabbled with modelers over the years. I always loved the convenience but they never felt right, and sounded synthetic after a while. I’ve had all the Boss GT series pedals (starting with the GT-3 that I actually recorded demos with back in the day, only one I kept was the GT-6 but for 4CM only), many of the Line 6 offerings which I never really liked, a Behringer V-Amp Pro which I still own, and before the Axe FX III I was using an Eleven Rack for headphone practice at home.

I’ve only had the Axe FX for a couple of days now and I can honestly say this is the first modeler that feels like an amp. I thought I was going to end up going the 4CM with one of my Mesa’s within the first hour of playing but so far that is not the case. I’ve grown tired of lugging 2X12 cabs or an oversized 4X12 or two around town, and the complexity that comes with flexibility in a traditional amp setup. Seeing that I can’t post a link yet, for those interested you can find my current rig posted on The Boogie Board in the TC-50 section under ‘Stereo TC-100 Rig’.

I’m still figuring out all the menus, and adjusting to the presets (scenes) within a preset setup as well as the channels within a block. I’ve never experienced this much control of signal routing and flexibility, dare I say I’m a bit intimidated LOL.

I’m a big fan of Les Pauls, two of them are my main guitars, and I have an LTD Eclipse that I really dig. I threw a Floyd Rose FRX on the LTD, what a fun guitar that became.

You can find me on The Boogie Board under the same user name, that’s been my favorite haunt for the past 17 years. I avoid TGP like the plague, and even the Marshall forum gets too childish at times.

Anyway by now it’s obvious I like to yap, and I hope to learn from and contribute to this community.

Dom

Hello all, first post.

Name is Dom. New to the forum and the Axe FX III. I’m in my mid 50’s and have been playing guitar since my teens. I’ve been fortunate enough to be in the same band for 25 years now, we played all along the East Coast in our prime, opened for a few big names. Since the pandemic hit we really haven’t gigged much, but still get together to keep our chops fresh.

I’ve been a tube snob for years (1st step is admitting it) but always dabbled with modelers over the years. I always loved the convenience but they never felt right, and sounded synthetic after a while. I’ve had all the Boss GT series pedals (starting with the GT-3 that I actually recorded demos with back in the day, only one I kept was the GT-6 but for 4CM only), many of the Line 6 offerings which I never really liked, a Behringer V-Amp Pro which I still own, and before the Axe FX III I was using an Eleven Rack for headphone practice at home.

I’ve only had the Axe FX for a couple of days now and I can honestly say this is the first modeler that feels like an amp. I thought I was going to end up going the 4CM with one of my Mesa’s within the first hour of playing but so far that is not the case. I’ve grown tired of lugging 2X12 cabs or an oversized 4X12 or two around town, and the complexity that comes with flexibility in a traditional amp setup. Seeing that I can’t post a link yet, for those interested you can find my current rig posted on The Boogie Board in the TC-50 section under ‘Stereo TC-100 Rig’.

I’m still figuring out all the menus, and adjusting to the presets (scenes) within a preset setup as well as the channels within a block. I’ve never experienced this much control of signal routing and flexibility, dare I say I’m a bit intimidated LOL.

I’m a big fan of Les Pauls, two of them are my main guitars, and I have an LTD Eclipse that I really dig. I threw a Floyd Rose FRX on the LTD, what a fun guitar that became.

You can find me on The Boogie Board under the same user name, that’s been my favorite haunt for the past 17 years. I avoid TGP like the plague, and even the Marshall forum gets too childish at times.

Anyway by now it’s obvious I like to yap, and I hope to learn from and contribute to this community.

Dom
Welcome to the fun house, @Domct203! As you're discovering, what some people call "Fractal snobbery" is really just appreciation of an excellent product. As you dig deeper, you'll have a lot of "Wow, they thought of that, too!" moments. :)

New old guy here. Mid 50s. Been playing since the 80s although you wouldn't know it.
Too much off and not enough on. Really started digging in a bit more the last 5 years with varying success.

Was a metal head back in the day. Still there but I like to play some 70s classic rock and some Gilmour too.
Thinking the AXE will kick the metal back in me.
My Axe FX3 Turbo will be here tomorrow sometime. Extremely exited and terrified all at the same time.
Been wanting one a long time but bought a K back in 14. Finally hoping to ditch it. Not that it is bad, I just have a few things I always hated about it.
Now to try and knock myself out so I can sleep. The Fedex guy might freak out when I rush his butt tomorrow.
Maybe I should reword that.

New old guy here. Mid 50s. Been playing since the 80s although you wouldn't know it.
Too much off and not enough on. Really started digging in a bit more the last 5 years with varying success.

Was a metal head back in the day. Still there but I like to play some 70s classic rock and some Gilmour too.
Thinking the AXE will kick the metal back in me.
My Axe FX3 Turbo will be here tomorrow sometime. Extremely exited and terrified all at the same time.
Been wanting one a long time but bought a K back in 14. Finally hoping to ditch it. Not that it is bad, I just have a few things I always hated about it.
Now to try and knock myself out so I can sleep. The Fedex guy might freak out when I rush his butt tomorrow.
Maybe I should reword that.

Welcome!! Yep, metal was my thing back in the day, too. The AxeFX will definitely do that, any flavor you want, and it'll probably help you explore some Gilmour, and so much more, too. Wish there was gear like this back in the day... But the best part, to me, is this company's commitment to quality (there was just another update today, it's hard to keep up sometimes) and the community here on the forum. There are some great people here who will help find an answer to just about anything and we all have questions from time to time.

Just don't wreck FedEx before they get to my house!! I've got a package coming tomorrow, too!! ;) 🤣

The ability to play virtually any type and model of amp is the best part of this box from metal to clean to edge of break up. Amps I would never have an opportunity to try in real life right here waiting to be played. I have spent all my time going through presets and that’s around six weeks now. I haven’t even tried to make my own presets yet! I think I have at least another couple months of amp exploration ahead of me. You guys just coming in will love it! Next are the fx, OMG same thing again so many pedals I would never have a chance to own are here at your finger tips! Have fun!

Oh boy!
I love this thing......a lot!
One hour in and I am ecstatic.
It sure has reawaken my metal side too!

The cleans are great. I was worried at first reading how the Axe may not shine as much in that area.
Pffft, it sounds great and I haven't tweaked a thing yet.
I have only just been running through some presets.

Yep, the Kemper and its remote are gone. Up for sale for sure.
I have had it since 2014 as my sole "amp".
The axe smokes it, for me, by far. It is not a bad unit but I wont be missing it now.
The Kemper never excited me on the harder side. It was just Ok.
I bought a bunch of rigs but ended up sticking with only a couple.

There are a lot more comparisons I could make but everybody has heard them all.
Kinda like leaving the Iphone years ago and finally being able to do what I want, more natural like.

I could go on and on but I got some setting up to finish. Well, not finish but continue.

Ok, I have been having an amazing experience playing this thing since I got it earlier today.
My wife even walked in my play room and just smiled at me.
She was a bit sideways since I sneak attacked her by spending this much on it, but now, she is cool with it.

Don't worry, after this one I will shut up.

Some may feel I am wrong for saying this, but I absolutely hate the Kemper now.
I am NOT here to bash it but it is what I have to compare to since I had it for so long.
I feel as though I have wasted all those years with it. I really do.
I am feeling things I have never felt with the Kemper.
Natural things.
The best word I can use to describe it is the feedback I am getting as I hit every note.
The tones. So far, just some presets.
The response, the variations of the attack, I can now feel and hear it all.
There is so much more but I wont even try to describe it.

The Kemper just felt flat. I thought it was just me. I tried tons of "Rigs" through the years.
But that wasn't really what I was missing.
Now I know different.
This thing has opened my eyes and ears. Reinvigorated me to want to play a lot more.
I am not kidding when I tell you I actually got a tear in my eye.

Ok, I am done. And no......I have not been drinking. :)
Just beyond satisfied with this purchase.

Well, the "bad" news is that it gets even better!! ;) Just remember to take your time working through the presets and, when you find ones that really speak to you, you'll eventually start digging into a few of the parameters available and that's when the real power of the Axe starts becoming apparent. The beauty is that you don't have to tweak, but if you want to, it's all there.

Those presets took me forever to get through, but when you do, I might recommend looking at the Gift of Tone series of presets available (free) here on the forum. They're a collection from artists, vendors, and gurus that really show how personalized this thing can get.

I got mine about 3.5 years ago and I still get excited (and inspired and lost in the sound for hours and hours)! And the updates... did we mention the frequent updates???

Ok, I have been having an amazing experience playing this thing since I got it earlier today.
My wife even walked in my play room and just smiled at me.
She was a bit sideways since I sneak attacked her by spending this much on it, but now, she is cool with it.

Don't worry, after this one I will shut up.

Some may feel I am wrong for saying this, but I absolutely hate the Kemper now.
I am NOT here to bash it but it is what I have to compare to since I had it for so long.
I feel as though I have wasted all those years with it. I really do.
I am feeling things I have never felt with the Kemper.
Natural things.
The best word I can use to describe it is the feedback I am getting as I hit every note.
The tones. So far, just some presets.
The response, the variations of the attack, I can now feel and hear it all.
There is so much more but I wont even try to describe it.

The Kemper just felt flat. I thought it was just me. I tried tons of "Rigs" through the years.
But that wasn't really what I was missing.
Now I know different.
This thing has opened my eyes and ears. Reinvigorated me to want to play a lot more.
I am not kidding when I tell you I actually got a tear in my eye.

Ok, I am done. And no......I have not been drinking. :)
Just beyond satisfied with this purchase.
Dig in the wee parameters of the amp blocks 'til you find this:
Screenshot%202024-05-31%20at%208.25.04%E2%80%AFPM.png

Just a little dab'll do ya. :)

I'm a 10 year Kemper-user, I'll be getting my FM3 today. Wish me luck!
Personally, I wish I did the switch a long time ago.
I am not sure how the Axe FX has changed from early since I have now had only the AXE FX 3 Turbo.
So would I have liked it this much back when I bought the Kemper? I don't know.

I do know I absolutely love this thing! It just feels much more "Alive" than the Kemper.
I don't see myself switching to anything else anytime soon if ever.
I actually hate the Kemper even more now. When I got it I thought it was cool but that has faded more and more through the years.

Good luck. The Axe really isn't so complicated once you understand how it is laid out.
Shouldn't take long after you get through the basics. I had about two days of frustration but it has since been figured out with help here on the forum and some videos.
I still have questions but I can get where I need to go for the most part.
FC-6 or 12 I highly recommend.

Personally, I wish I did the switch a long time ago.
I am not sure how the Axe FX has changed from early since I have now had only the AXE FX 3 Turbo.
So would I have liked it this much back when I bought the Kemper? I don't know.

I do know I absolutely love this thing! It just feels much more "Alive" than the Kemper.
I don't see myself switching to anything else anytime soon if ever.
I actually hate the Kemper even more now. When I got it I thought it was cool but that has faded more and more through the years.

Good luck. The Axe really isn't so complicated once you understand how it is laid out.
Shouldn't take long after you get through the basics. I had about two days of frustration but it has since been figured out with help here on the forum and some videos.
I still have questions but I can get where I need to go for the most part.
FC-6 or 12 I highly recommend.
After spending one evening with the FM3, my impression is that it trumps the Kemper for amp sounds also. It's just more fun to play, sounds more "hifi" and less stiff and static, for lack of better words.

That being said, after using a Kemper for 10 years I'm pretty intimately familiar with it and the "sound" that is has, and change is a good thing. The Kemper is very powerful, and especially the delays and reverbs are killer (Kemper Drive is also very, very good).

I don't think the FM3 is too complicated at all. Googled some stuff, but was able to build my basic preset and get a great sound pretty quickly. Played around with the Dumbles and Plexis for a while and settled on a JCM800 with a plexi tone stack, with York IR's. That sounded GREAT! But there are a lot of deeper parameters that I need to figure out.

I need a couple of extra footswitches, so I think I'll hook up a Tech21 Midi Mongoose or maybe something even smaller. It's a mk1 FM3, but I'm not anywhere near the CPU limit yet.

I was able to load the York IR's as ultrares, but they're longer than 170ms (500ms). I would think they could be loaded as fullres-IRs.

I also need to look at a grab'n'go FRFR for rehearsals and stage monitoring.

Back
Top Bottom