HELP - can't get a decent HIGH GAIN tone

Alright. I wasn't in my studio when reamping those other times and I agree with them sounding horrible. Got in the studio, loaded them up and went...WTF? :D

So, I added some bass guitar and drums. Reamped it through the JVM model with an OwnHammer impulse. Mixed and mastered it. Wanna know what I think? The DI is pure sh*t. It's not the Axe-Fx. It's something on your end, bro.

Here's my best attempt at salvaging this DI. Enjoy. :p

So the moral of this story is can't get a decent high gain tone because the DI is crappy? Are we still on topic? Sorry just trying to learn more

Yes. Great tone starts at the source. Still on topic. Continue learning.
Hi, thx for your comment. I didn't have much time these days but I managed to change the battery of the emg and bought a new jack (lava cable, guitar -> axe fx).

I'll record some di with the Ibanez (emg 707 active pickups) and the esp (Dimarzio Illuminator passive pickups).

So, here's the DI clips of my Ibanez (with a new battery) and my ESP Horizon. They're both recorded with the axe fx as audio Interface (USB, bypass mod). The ESP is a 6 str guitar in dropped B, so I had to adapt the riff.

28. DI Ibanez RG2627ze Axe fx mono (new battery & cable)

29. DI ESP Horizon II Axe fx mono (new cable)

Do you get the same results with these dry tracks ?

They're both recorded with the axe fx as audio Interface (USB, bypass mod)
Explain this to me. I think there may be something you're doing wrong. Are you changing the output source to USB in I/O? Or doing something different? I've never heard of the "bypass mod".

Just pressing the bypass button on the axe fx and recording the dry signal that way. Rather than say from the Center channel over usb

Yep it's still there, even when lowering the pickup... But since it's "normal" with emg active pups :confused:.
Quick question. In your DAW, where is the input fader signal hitting at when you're recording the DI? It shouldn't be too hot. What's the number (like -10 or so)?

So, here's the DI clips of my Ibanez (with a new battery) and my ESP Horizon. They're both recorded with the axe fx as audio Interface (USB, bypass mod). The ESP is a 6 str guitar in dropped B, so I had to adapt the riff.

28. DI Ibanez RG2627ze Axe fx mono (new battery & cable)

After comparing the above DI (of the Ibanez) to the previous Ibanez DI through the Axe FX, I can hear a difference when re-amping. I can identify which is which in a blind test, which is a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom