HELP - can't get a decent HIGH GAIN tone

Hadean

Hi, members of the Axe FX fellowship ! I may need your precious help there.

So I bought a brand new Axe FX 2xl + like 10 months ago… and since then haven’t been able to get a decent high gain tone. I don’t know, maybe my axe fx sounds just how it should and I just don’t like its tone. But for me, whatever I try, everything still sounds quite muddy and fizzy, without that much of definition/clarity. I know that there has already been several topics about subject similar to my issue on this forum, but I haven’t find any way to solve it yet.

But first, lemme describe my case :

I mainly play core stuff (don’t you dare to judge me), djent, progressive metal, etc. I’m looking for tones similar to Veil of Maya (their latest release), Periphery, Haunted Shores or August Burns Red, Archspire (even if it’s quite different from the other ones)…

Periphery :

Veil of Maya :

I use the axe fx at home for practicing and with my band for rehearsal and live playing. I run it direct to monitors, without any cab nor power amp (Yamaha HS8 for home, can’t remember the PA system of my band studio, but they’re quite flat).

I play a 7str Ibanez Prestige rg2627ze loaded with emg707 pups and a 6str ESP Horizon with Dimarzio Illuminators.

So basically, my signal is the following:

Ibanez -> jack cable -> Axe FX (Input 1, front) -> Axe FX (Output 1, back) -> XLR to TRS cable -> Focusrite scarlett 2i2-> TRS to XLR cable -> Yamaha hs8 – (and no, even if I get rid of the focusrite, it still sounds quite bad)

Thereafter, some records of my setup with different preset (my playing is not perfect, but that should do the job). Just click on this link to access my soundclound playlist :

The first three are just some Fas Modern with every setting at default, with stock cabs (for a starting point, I prefer to keep it as simple as possible and so that you can hear how it sounds without lots of tweaking).

1. Fas Modern with 4x12 v30 (F062), + SM57.
2. Fas Modern with Basketweave TV Mix (F103), no mic.
3. Fas Modern with 4x12 v30 PVH6160 Mix (F107), no mic.

The next three are the same patch, but with ML bulb cabs.

4. Fas Modern with ML USA Djent Misha Mix 4, no mic.
5. Fas Modern with ML Zilla Misha 10 V30 Tight, no mic.
6. Fas Modern with ML Zilla Misha 04 Balanced D, no mic.

Finally, this one is a Fas Modern with a tight t808 drive in front, low bass, low gain, ML USA Djent Misha Mix 4, no mic and low and high cut in the cab block.

7. Fas Modern with ML USA Djent Misha Mix 4 - high low cut - tight drive - low bass.

And here’s some presets I’ve bought (which are made for the firmware version I’m running (Quantum v10.01, except for the last one) and which sounds quite drastically different than the originals):

8. Rhythm $w3G T!t3 - Jason Richardson.
9. Interloper Rhythm - Miles Dimitri Baker (Interloper and ex Rings of Saturn).
10. Rings of Saturn Rhythm - Miles Dimitri Baker.
11. 015 - VHT PITBULL M GAIN DULL - Jon Deiley (Northlane).
12. ML USA Djent 5150 Rhythm - Misha Mansoor.

(Again, go through my soundcloud playlist to listen to them - fractal forum won't let me link each track)

Does my axe sound as it should? I’m aware that a big part of the tone is achieved by the guitarist himself (e.g. tightness, picking), that the guitar may play a big role as well (e.g. wood, pickups, strings) and that the guitar tone sounds drastically different when it sits in a mix.

I feel like I’ve spent already too much time (and money) into this unit, trying to figure out how to make it sounds decent (the only tones that I find good are the clean ones without any cab…). I’ve ran out of options and ‘d be much grateful if someone here could give me some advice to get a “better” high gain tone from my axe.

Anyway, thx for reading and your help :)

Doesn’t sound that bad to me, but I’m more medium gain player. Have you tried playing with less gain? It might seem weird at first but record and listen back and may help. If you want tighter try cutting some bass before the amp block. The bright cap value could help dial your fizz, assuming bright switch is engaged. Hi/low cut in the cab block is very helpful also. Best luck

There’s really no straight answer to your question. I know it’s Cliche at this point.
I spent well over a year pissing around on my Axe FX making nothing but nonsense that sounded terrible every time I turned the thing on after a break.
I tried being more Hetfield,more Tremonti by dialling in some Boogie tones but that amp just isn’t for me. No matter how much I tried to shoehorn it into something I would love. I find the Triptik,Two Rock,5153 Blue to work for me.
I used to put an 808 Drive on every preset but it’s just not for me....the BB Pre and the zendrive works for me.
It’s a bit of a fools game chasing someone’s tone. It an unbelievably easy trap to fall into.

My suggestion.
Delete all your presets and IRs. Add only the IRs you know you love.The IRs YOU love and Not just the “correct IRs” to use based on your influences.
Start again.
I did it a few months ago. I just copied over the OH1 mixes from all the cabinets in the OwnHammer Heavy Hitters Collection and said THATS IT. No more IR hunting.I have my favourites.
Starting using amps you’ve never heard of and see if they catch your ear, you’ll find something I promise you.
There’s no correct amp to use. If you need to Djent with a Divided By 13 FTR37 and a FET Drive Drive then so be it!

I'm at work so can't listen to the clips, but Hi Cut and Low Cut work well for curbing boom and fizz. I usually low cut to 80 to 100 and high cut from 7,500 down.

Those clips sound high gain to my ears. Sound good. You can definitely hear the difference with the cab selection. Some have more clarity and others more bass.

Have you tried recording a full mix with drums and bass? Remember, the example videos you provided from those other bands are a full recording. If you isolate the guitar tracks it will sound different.

Lots of excellent recommendations in the above post.

Hi everyone, thx for your tips - it's nice to see a community that much active and helpful :) - I will give them a try this evening when I'll come back from work and give you updates !

So I bought a brand new Axe FX 2xl + like 10 months ago… and since then haven’t been able to get a decent high gain tone. I don’t know, maybe my axe fx sounds just how it should and I just don’t like its tone. But for me, whatever I try, everything still sounds quite muddy and fizzy, without that much of definition/clarity. I know that there has already been several topics about subject similar to my issue on this forum, but I haven’t find any way to solve it yet.

I mainly play core stuff (don’t you dare to judge me), djent, progressive metal, etc. I’m looking for tones similar to Veil of Maya (their latest release), Periphery, Haunted Shores or August Burns Red, Archspire (even if it’s quite different from the other ones)…

Periphery :

Veil of Maya :

I use the axe fx at home for practicing and with my band for rehearsal and live playing. I run it direct to monitors, without any cab nor power amp (Yamaha HS8 for home, can’t remember the PA system of my band studio, but they’re quite flat).

I play a 7str Ibanez Prestige rg2627ze loaded with emg707 pups and a 6str ESP Horizon with Dimarzio Illuminators.

Ibanez -> jack cable -> Axe FX (Input 1, front) -> Axe FX (Output 1, back) -> XLR to TRS cable -> Focusrite scarlett 2i2-> TRS to XLR cable -> Yamaha hs8 – (and no, even if I get rid of the focusrite, it still sounds quite bad)

Thereafter, some records of my setup with different preset (my playing is not perfect, but that should do the job). Just click on this link to access my soundclound playlist :

The first three are just some Fas Modern with every setting at default, with stock cabs (for a starting point, I prefer to keep it as simple as possible and so that you can hear how it sounds without lots of tweaking).

Finally, this one is a Fas Modern with a tight t808 drive in front, low bass, low gain, ML USA Djent Misha Mix 4, no mic and low and high cut in the cab block.

7. Fas Modern with ML USA Djent Misha Mix 4 - high low cut - tight drive - low bass.

And here’s some presets I’ve bought (which are made for the firmware version I’m running (Quantum v10.01, except for the last one) and which sounds quite drastically different than the originals):

(Again, go through my soundcloud playlist to listen to them - fractal forum won't let me link each track)

Does my axe sound as it should? I’m aware that a big part of the tone is achieved by the guitarist himself (e.g. tightness, picking), that the guitar may play a big role as well (e.g. wood, pickups, strings) and that the guitar tone sounds drastically different when it sits in a mix.

I feel like I’ve spent already too much time (and money) into this unit, trying to figure out how to make it sounds decent (the only tones that I find good are the clean ones without any cab…). I’ve ran out of options and ‘d be much grateful if someone here could give me some advice to get a “better” high gain tone from my axe.

After hearing your samples, the first thing I'd do is add a high cut at around 7000 Hz in the Cab block. That should take care of the fizz for the most part. As for mud, just add a PEQ block after the Cab block and set the Frequency type for one of the bands to Peaking, the Freq of that band set to 9000 Hz, Q set to .248 and Gain set to around 3.5 or to taste. If it still sounds a bit muddy, use another band with the same Frequency type(ie. Peaking) and set Freq to 5000 Hz, Q to 0.707 and Gain to around 2.00 or to taste. That'll definitely add definition and clarity.

Last edited:
hello again, I came quite late home this evening so I hadn't much time to try new fancy things :( . Anyway, I attempted to apply some of your advices in a new preset.

It's the 5153 blue 50w version amp (gain at 3, mid, treble and presence past noon, depth down at 3) with the basketweave TV mix cab (high cut at 7kHz). I put a zen drive in front of the amp (drive at 0, tone at noon, light mid boost, level at max) and the peq suggested by Jason.
I find it to sound quite better than the other samples, but definitely need to try other cabs and tweaking tomorrow.
Again, thx for your comments :D

I really like that but then I love the 5153 so I’m probably biased. Some of it sounds a bit distorted though. Maybe recording a bit hot? Could just be me.
I actually uploaded a preset this morning on axechange of the 100 watt blue , I did it in about 15 minutes and thought I’d share it.
It might not work for you or your needs but worth a play I guess....
http://axechange.fractalaudio.com/detail.php?preset=6479

I had fun pretending I could play Omega with it at least. That songs great fun to play but man I’m sloppy.

Last edited:
There's something clipping in your recording chain. When you play the palm mutes you can hear it.
For all the recordings or only the last one ?
In my memories, when I recorded these the "out 1 clip" wasn't clipping. But I will check it when I come back home.

For all the recordings or only the last one ?
In my memories, when I recorded these the "out 1 clip" wasn't clipping. But I will check it when I come back home.
All of them. I don't think it's the Axe-Fx clipping, I think it's your audio interface.

All of them. I don't think it's the Axe-Fx clipping, I think it's your audio interface.
It's strange, it wasn't hitting the red on the focusrite.
I'll try to record using the axe as the main audio interface tomorrow and show you the results.

Seems some people are struggling to get good high gain sounds out of the Axe fx since there are several topics on it. I am not a high gainer myself but shouldn't be so hard to get a decent high gain sound I would have thought. It isn't so much plug and play so it seems. Why is this?

Periphery :

Veil of Maya :

Have you tried the Periphery presets on Axechange?

I feel like keeping it simple is really the best way, at least in my experience with the unit. Amp>cab>effects as needed. The high gain amps definitely don't need a drive pedal to get great sound IMO.

Back
Top Bottom