How to record two signals at once with the Axe 2 (wet and dry)

Hansen

Experienced
Hi,

I have the Axe 2 and I use Cubase. I wonder how I should set up equipment in order to record a wet signal from the amp (distorted tone) and one dry signal that I can reamp with either software in Cubase or the Axe itself.
When recording in Cubase should I use two mono tracks at once?

Not sure about the specifics of Cubase, but it should be inputs 1/2 for the wet and 3/4 for the dry tracks to reamp.

Not sure about the specifics of Cubase, but it should be inputs 1/2 for the wet and 3/4 for the dry tracks to reamp.

Ok. But in the program you use I guess you would use to separate mono tracks?

I can reamp the dry either through software or the Axe right?

Yes, a separate mono track for the dry signal would be a good idea. This lets you process it separately from the wet track.

And yes again; once you've recorded the dry signal, you can reamp it with anything you choose.

Sorry, but where is this covered in the manual?
Read the manual to find out where it is in the manual.

You need to separate tracks, one wet, one dry. Wet would be inputs 1/2, dry would be 3. Then when you actually do the re-amp you have to make sure that the dry track is being sent to output 1 and that the AxeFXII is set to USB for input source (on the front panel, I/O menu, audio tab). You would have a 3rd track set to record inputs 1/2 which are the output of the AxeFXII from the re-amped session.

I'm not sure about how to set it up in Cubase, but the biggest thing is getting the audio routing right. Once you get that it's actually stupid easy to do. Its also fun as hell.

I was trying to do this yesterday, then I gave up. It's easier for me to do it my old way: use the TD-1 Millennia DI (or any good DI). Put the guitar cable in the TD-1, take the direct out from that into the AxeFx II front input and the output form the Axe (1/2 stereo) and the dry output from the DI. Both go into my Metric Halo interface. Voila.

Henry, thanks for this!
Good idea to just use the Axe at the end of the chain, recording somewhere before.
Almost the same as what I did before I had the Axe II, when recording into Propellerhead Reason 6 and re-amping with the Line6 Guitar module (uh... that sucked).

just record you dry track (input 3 in cubase) and dann just play it back. set axe fx input in the I/O section to USB. then just record on another track, input set to 1/2

Back
Top Bottom