HELP - can't get a decent HIGH GAIN tone

What if you record a couple with the guitar volume knob turned down some? It should not affect the tone in active PUP's. It's just too hot coming in I think.

My thought is you are clipping at the guitar output. If that’s true then anything downstream is moot.

Do you see clipping when auditioning different presets in general?
I always make sure that the out clip leds don't turn on by lowering the volume of the amp block. As said before, the input leds only tickle the red when hard hitting.

If it can be of use, I'll do some DI tomorrow with different levels of the volume knob on the Ibanez.

Just a thought, but maybe those EMG's are lemons. I've had great experience with EMG's when guys bring them in the studio (I personally don't own any). Maybe their faulty or maybe shoddy wiring or solder work? Could even be something like crappy output jack or pots. Maybe it's time to take it in to a tech to have a looking over and general setup.

If you do decide to replace the pickups. The nazgul/sentient set is pretty awesome IMO. I picked up another set for 15% off this weekend during Reverb’s Labor day sale.

Reactions: ang
Try this. Might not fix the problem, but i would like an opinion. If you don't get any volume, shunt the volume block

Attachments

• Mean Q-Rod Factory Cab.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Just a thought, but maybe those EMG's are lemons. I've had great experience with EMG's when guys bring them in the studio (I personally don't own any). Maybe their faulty or maybe shoddy wiring or solder work? Could even be something like crappy output jack or pots. Maybe it's time to take it in to a tech to have a looking over and general setup.

They may be perfectly fine, just really hot by nature. Here are a few examples of EMG 707's with the Kemper:

EMG 707's with the Axe FX II:

Last edited:
love this combo but i want to try the blackwinters. OP: how fresh are your strings in this di recording maybe some new ones would help with clarity
You should try the MasterExploders! They're killer and even come with a piece of gum!

What if you record a couple with the guitar volume knob turned down some? It should not affect the tone in active PUP's. It's just too hot coming in I think.
Hello again, I've recorded some DI clips with different level of the volume knob :

From ~50% to 100% :
30. DI Ibanez RG2627ze Axe fx mono (vol 50%)

31. DI Ibanez RG2627ze Axe fx mono (vol 75%)

32. DI Ibanez RG2627ze Axe fx mono (vol 90%)

The last one is the previous recording with volume knob at 100% :
28. DI Ibanez RG2627ze Axe fx mono (new battery & cable)

The 50% volume pot sounds better.

Have you considered doing the 18v mod to the EMG's? It'll increase the pickup's preamp headroom, so you don't get the clipping. It's fairly easy and should only take you about 10 minutes to do.

Thanks for your suggestion. Here's the reamping with my Ibanez rg2627ze (EMG707) and my ESP Horizon fr (Dimarzio Illuminator).

33. Mean Q - Rod Factory Cab Ibanez Rg2627ze

34. Mean Q - Rod Factory Cab ESP Horizon FR2

Sounds really weird to me... Is it supposed to act this way ?

I think when you put this in a mix it won't sound as bad as you think. I definitely like the Horizon better with the clip I sent you. I like thicker miss. Its funny because just about all of my high gains sound really close. I guess it's just a tone in my head that I gravitate to.

I think when you put this in a mix it won't sound as bad as you think.

It sounds weird because you're using an Enhance block, which is supposed to provide a greater sense of width, however it sounds artificial and fake compared to actual double tracking, in my opinion. The artificiality becomes even more pronounced when you add a chorus. Aside from that, the preset contributed too much low-end to his guitar, in my opinion. After bypassing the Chorus / Enhance blocks, tweaking the Room level in the Cab block, dialing down the Bass and swapping the stock cab for an Ownhammer IR, it sounds better to my ears.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom