Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.08 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
Granule Length will be the name of the debut album of the band Tangential Reponse

I've found some notes about FET compressors:

A lot of people wonder about the difference between FET and VCA compression. Indeed, there's confusion throughout the interwebs as to the distinction, with some saying FET is a subset classification of VCA.

However, there is a fundamental difference in the transistors: In a VCA compressor, the transistor is housed within an integrated circuit (an IC) which responds to the voltage of your incoming signal. The FET, however, works with the electrical field as a whole, and gain changes are the result of electrical charges in addition to voltage.

This is complicated, confusion stuff, to be sure. But know this: The designation between FET and VCA matters, because of the one of the most famous, widely used compressors of all time is an FET compressor—the previously mentioned UREI 1176. FET compressors like the 1176 are capable of exceedingly fast attack times, though not without color. I tend to avoid FET emulations for mastering, but pile them on for guitars and drums.

They often boast a feedback design, which contributes to the program-dependent nature of the compression achieved (for instance, have you ever seen a threshold knob on an 1176? Because I haven’t). We’ll get into feedback/feed-forward designs a little later, after we cover…

Is this model based on the 1176?
https://www.uaudio.com/blog/analog-obsession-1176-history/

I have also noticed this with the FM3. I have a hold function configured to toggle between channel A and B. If the drive block is bypassed and I hold the switch to change the channel, I hear a click.

I have not reported it in that sub-forum.
I forgot to mention that in my post. There are no 'clicks' from an active Drive block when channel changes are done via scenes. But there are when changing channels of an active Drive block directly via the editor or FC switches.

The dizzy and Herbie models all have noise when turning the bass knob up and down in the editor.

Great! Have been missing my fridaynight (this side of the pond) firmware update. ;)
@2112: Leon, thanks to you for sharing your insights.

Thanks Cliff! Happy Eastern. I'm glad that the JVM ist getting fixed. Sadly I'm still getting blocking distortion on OD1 Orange and Red specially on single note stuf. OD2 ist sounding great on both orange and red.
Here is my preset.
Happy Eastern everybody!

Attachments

• JVM Blocking Distortion.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 11
Yeah, the Cali76 is marketed as an Urei 1176 in pedal format. The 1176 is the most famous JFET compressor in existence by a wide margin. It might be the most used studio compressor of all time, but it also works great in front of an amp.

It looks like it’s inspired by the 1176 rather than an actual model as the release time isn’t program dependent like the real thing. For guitar though that shouldn’t make much difference and it sure as hell sounds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom