Axe-Fx III Firmware Release Version 12.08 Public Beta

Status
Not open for further replies.
It looks like it’s inspired by the 1176 rather than an actual model as the release time isn’t program dependent like the real thing. For guitar though that shouldn’t make much difference and it sure as hell sounds good.
How do you figure/know that? The release on the 1176 is somewhat program dependent, but I would guess that it is due to the detector circuit, which is modeled (I guess).
Anyway, I am sure this is no more an 1176 than the optical comp is an LA2a. It is more of that general flavor of compression, and the new ultra fast attack time gets is into the 1176 range, although we cannot get all the way to the fastest 0.02 ms

How do you figure/know that? The release on the 1176 is somewhat program dependent, but I would guess that it is due to the detector circuit, which is modeled (I guess).

Do you mean how do I figure the 1176 is program dependent or that this one isn't?

The former; it's pretty well known that the program dependent release is a key part of the 1176 sound. (The attack and ratio are as well but AFAIK it's the release that contributes more to the sound.)

The latter; I'm assuming based on the fact it wasn't mentioned and the release time is given in ms.

Anyway, I am sure this is no more an 1176 than the optical comp is an LA2a. It is more of that general flavor of compression, and the new ultra fast attack time gets is into the 1176 range, although we cannot get all the way to the fastest 0.02 ms

Yes exactly. And I think in both cases they are as close as we really need; Fractal seems to have captured what makes both of the units useful for guitarists.

When new firmware is released with changes to specific blocks, I often use FracTool’s “Search for Block” feature. It searches all presets for the occurrence of a specific block. Very handy to check / update your presets.

Pssst @AlGrenadine ... even handier would be the ability to search for certain effect types within blocks. Like “Plex Delay 1 > Shimmer Verb” ... hint hint nudge nudge wink wink ... ;-)

Last edited:
When new firmware is released with changes to specific blocks, I often use FracTool’s “Search for Block” feature. It searches all presets for the occurrence of a specific block. Very handy to check / update your presets.

Pssst, @AlGrenadine ... even handier would be the ability to search for certain effect types within blocks. Like “Plex Delay 1 > Shimmer Verb” ... hint hint nudge nudge wink wink ... ;-)
Could be a "search for block with parameter x = y" yes

The things that geniuses do while in isolation. I had just read about Sir Issac Newtons accomplishments during the Great Plague.
I on the the other hand have tested the limits of my NVIDIA Shield and my ability to stay partially inclined for long hours.
Thanks Cliff and Co! Be well everyone!

The release notes said that the enhancement to the intelligent pitch algorithm affects all but the dual and quad detune. So does that mean that it’s enhanced the virtual capo as well. It could just be that it’s been a while since i tried this on cleaner sounds which I found unusable before but now it seems like you can get by with up to + or - 2 on clean/acoustic type tones. The more you deviate from the orinigal pitch the more it seems to introduce a tremolo type effect. +1 barely noticeable, +2 a little more noticeable but still useable, +3 stretching it a bit you may be able to get away with it. Again it could just be me not using it for awhile ... but to my ear it’s actually useable on clean acoustic tones now where I used to only use it on overdriven tones before.

what exactly does that affect?
These blocks encorporate an envelope in them that helps control the input signal's gain when you're using it to do swelled delays (getchamindouttathegutter). For example, the megatap's block diagram is:

Screen Shot 2020-04-12 at 4.34.56 PM.png

There's a similarly-placed, envelope-controlled, input gain block on the multitap and plex delay blocks as well.

These blocks encorporate an envelope in them that helps control the input signal's gain when you're using it to do swelled delays (getchamindouttathegutter). For example, the megatap's block diagram is:

View attachment 66224

There's a similarly-placed, envelope-controlled, input gain block on the multitap and plex delay blocks as well.
ah ok, of course. makes sense now. thanks!

The release notes said that the enhancement to the intelligent pitch algorithm affects all but the dual and quad detune. So does that mean that it’s enhanced the virtual capo as well. It could just be that it’s been a while since i tried this on cleaner sounds which I found unusable before but now it seems like you can get by with up to + or - 2 on clean/acoustic type tones. The more you deviate from the orinigal pitch the more it seems to introduce a tremolo type effect. +1 barely noticeable, +2 a little more noticeable but still useable, +3 stretching it a bit you may be able to get away with it. Again it could just be me not using it for awhile ... but to my ear it’s actually useable on clean acoustic tones now where I used to only use it on overdriven tones before.
Well Virtual Capo is not Dual or Quad Detune so...

I downloaded the Cliff's preset from the OP, selected an empty preset on my III, sent the preset over using FractalBot, which confirmed that it had sent it; however, the empty preset remains empty. I downloaded another copy and tried again with the same results. Just as a check, I tried it with a different sysex and that worked just fine, so it's some weirdness with the 12.08Demo sysex file. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Danny W.

I downloaded the Cliff's preset from the OP, selected an empty preset on my III, sent the preset over using FractalBot, which confirmed that it had sent it; however, the empty preset remains empty. I downloaded another copy and tried again with the same results. Just as a check, I tried it with a different sysex and that worked just fine, so it's some weirdness with the 12.08Demo sysex file. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Danny W.

I loaded the Demo.syx using AxeEdit, import feature, and it worked fine. Perhaps give that a go?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom