Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.03 Firmware Release

I do notice a clarity improvement with this release.

Thankyou Fractal.

Re model accuracy - though I agree that having a model sound great to the player is key, I beleive the "accuracy to original" concept is very important as it is a precise and objective way to measure the prrogress of the technology. Comparison to benchmark originals also provides us with a convenient way for us to organize and categorize tones whether they be amp models, cab models, speaker
models, mic models ....

Everything worked perfect in the rehearse with my existing presets...ok these presets are setup to sound good with all kind of monitors and systems and a lot of different guitars, so they can take little changes without starting to sound 'off'.
I wonder what I should have noticed as a change?
There's somes lows cleaned up?
Some less deeper lows go into the input of the poweramp? Like I would have put a low cut between preamp and poweramp?

This is probably a dumb question, but I just received my new XL+. It came with 9.02, I updated to 9.03. Am I missing something? Because I can’t find the USA IIC++ amp preset on here.

This is probably a dumb question, but I just received my new XL+. It came with 9.02, I updated to 9.03. Am I missing something? Because I can’t find the USA IIC++ amp preset on here.
There is no USA IIC++ factory preset. But there is a USA IIC++ amp model in there. ;)

Best firmware update yet. They have all done something to improve but something about this one put it right there for me.......
Clarity-Definition-FEEL-Note Seperation

I was so enjoying rehearsal last night.

Didn't had time to update yet, this sounds very promising, usually I cannot follow sound improvement statements because for me its there since a long time.
As a not high-gain player I'm only interested in tone on the edge before it gets into much compression, so I can dial in the sweet spot with my volume knob and have as much dynamic as possible.
That's what I call feeling or response in a way, this is a tricky thing to get even with a real tube amp, but I can't help it, that's what I love the most.
If there is improvement as you said I cannot wait to try this firmware out ....sigh....

I loaded this last week and definitely noticed a more pleasant sound. Like it gels a lot better with my ears. Since then i have only used that same guitar on that same preset, expecting that my ears will change or it wont sound as good the next day etc. but its still sounding awesome and its inspiring to play. I dont think i am ready to swap guitars or presets yet though.

I am liking this considerably more than 9.02 for some reason. The amps have more bite without getting as shrill. Easier to dial in upper mids. And there is more clarity in the low end, too, although I am still pulling a lot of bass knotbs down low, even with a low cut on the amp.

The Hot Kitty now sounds more like what I remember my early-model 30W combo sounding like when I had her. Nasty!

I am liking this considerably more than 9.02 for some reason. The amps have more bite without getting as shrill. Easier to dial in upper mids. And there is more clarity in the low end, too, although I am still pulling a lot of bass knotbs down low, even with a low cut on the amp.

The Hot Kitty now sounds more like what I remember my early-model 30W combo sounding like when I had her. Nasty!

I used to play the Hot Kitty a lot then I remember Cliff saying that he made some changes (can't remember which FM it was) and to me it didn't sound the same anymore. I've actually started playing the Kitty again after 9.02. @FractalAudio Cliff did you make any changes to the Kitty?

I loaded this last week and definitely noticed a more pleasant sound. Like it gels a lot better with my ears. Since then i have only used that same guitar on that same preset, expecting that my ears will change or it wont sound as good the next day etc. but its still sounding awesome and its inspiring to play. I dont think i am ready to swap guitars or presets yet though.

Strangely enough, my experience is similar to yours, except I had to evacuate my music studio because of nearby fires, which fortunately for me left the place alone When I returned, Cliff had the new FW waiting, which I installed. My computer had a hiccup for some reason though, and before I could re-install it, despite disconnecting and re-connecting the usb cable to try and get USB to show up in Fractal Bot, it didn't show up. So I deleted and re-installed my Axe FX driver and was able to update the FW.

Then, in the inpatient hurry to plug things back in I hadn't remembered to plug the inputs into lines 3 & 4. and instead used inputs 1 & 2. Since it didn't give with the software mixer settings that matched with the DAW settings I had, in the haste to try and figure out what was different, I *somehow* I turned on the mic preamp switch.:tongueclosed:

Needless to say, sometimes I understand why it helps to have a stable reference point of a preset, a mixer setup, a studio...

But once set back up things were indeed pleasantly to my liking. I'm pretty sure it may sound even better than my earlier placebo experience. :tonguewink:

I used to play the Hot Kitty a lot then I remember Cliff saying that he made some changes (can't remember which FM it was) and to me it didn't sound the same anymore. I've actually started playing the Kitty again after 9.02. @FractalAudio Cliff did you make any changes to the Kitty?

The Kitty model has a LOT more gain than I remember my Hot Cat 30 having. But that’s what the input trim is for. Dial that down, get accustomed to the way the tone controls interact, and I’m pretty happy now.

The Kitty model has a LOT more gain than I remember my Hot Cat 30 having. But that’s what the input trim is for. Dial that down, get accustomed to the way the tone controls interact, and I’m pretty happy now.

I've often (not really often) wondered why some models seem to have more gain than the real amp - considering the goal of authenticity. Perhaps a marketing strategy since so many players these days use high gain? No complaints, just an observation which is easily adjusted as @greiswig stated.

Back
Top Bottom