Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.03 Firmware Release

My general update strategy is to skip betas and only load 'official' releases. If it is a major revision or requires significant redialing, I usually wait for BOTH the FW + AxeEdit. Since this one was an official version and did not really have anything that required AE I just loaded it straight away. Did not notice much change but no problems, either, all good!

I also reserve the right to break all those 'rules' if I'm particularly stoked about some new feature. ;)

My general update strategy is to skip betas and only load 'official' releases. If it is a major revision or requires significant redialing, I usually wait for BOTH the FW + AxeEdit. Since this one was an official version and did not really have anything that required AE I just loaded it straight away. Did not notice much change but no problems, either, all good!

I also reserve the right to break all those 'rules' if I'm particularly stoked about some new feature. ;)
Pretty much my standard procedure as well. Since I only use the AFX at home, sometimes I'll load a beta for the heck of it, but my AX8 always waits for a few days after the official release. And I often don't reset my amp blocks - I just run w/ what I have and usually it sounds great. If I do notice changes, then I'll dive in.

Ok for those who are not following, you loose the xformer grind in fw 9. The tightness of the tone is gone it not able to be replicated in fw 9. If you read my poll about who stayed in fw 8.02 vs 9 you will see several of us have this problem.
+1
I miss the xformer grind

Unless I'm tracking a song, I always update right away. I've probably done 50 or 100 since I started with my Ultra with almost no hiccups thought there have been several where you need to tweak your patches. Downloading now...

"9.00
Removed the “Motor Drive” and “Transformer Grind” algorithms and associated parameters from the Amp block. These have been replaced by the new “Speaker Compression” algorithm. This algorithm models the interaction of the power amp with the power compression of the virtual speaker. The “Spkr Comp” parameter controls the amount of virtual speaker compression. This value defaults to 3.0 when the Amp block is reset. It does not get reset when changing the model. If using the Axe-Fx II with a tube power amp and conventional guitar cab you may want to reduce this value to 0.0. The gain reduction meter shows the amount of virtual power compression (select the Spkr Comp knob to monitor the gain reduction). Typical guitar speakers compress between 3 and 6 dB depending upon construction, age, volume, etc. The default value is conservative and yields about 3 dB of compression."

Cliff knows his algorithms a lot better than I, and I wish to avoid again creating a split between the Mark I/II group and the rest (and a dead-end on one direction of the Y). But if we have gone in the direction of more realism, are there still knobs one might tweak to get that earlier type of sound - or is it a question of much, much more realism but slightly less advanced control; because I can't see that anyone has asked this?

I'm still loving this post-8 FW, because I can dial in almost any amp now.

But I gotta admit that when I read about Firmware 3.00, where the X-Former Grind parameter was apparently introduced, it does harken back to an interesting period in apparent tweakiness. Although I was never so good at tweaking that I would ever want to go back there permanently.

If I know Cliff he's got a way to achieve basically a similar result using the new algorithm.

Back
Top Bottom