Axe-Fx II "Quantum" Rev 9.03 Firmware Release

Please read the inventor’s comments. He states quite clearly that the update doesn’t sound as good as the presets he made in 8.
These are fantastic presets that none have bested! They are glorious. This is the reason some of us have not updated to 9. Please know your history in the future prior to such a pithy and terse reply. Just sayin’...
I own the naked amps pack and just updated it to 9.02. I must say, I don't own a typical guitar (mine is a bc rich bitch with a Fred pickup in the bridge position, with a series/parallel switch). Which presets are you referring to in the pack? Classic, Modern, Clean? I do like the Hendrix presets included in the bonus presets folder - with that wonderfully useful IR he includes. I would love to know which other specific presets in the pack are you most excited about? I could re-install Firmware 8 and try and hear the difference on a few of them out of curiosity. But I don't know if it would "verify" your point because my guitar is so unusual. But I would still find it helpful to try out some presets in that pack that I probably have missed. (Its always frustrating not to have a standardly configured guitar/PU combination that has been used to create a preset. Makes the process very unpredictable. I am thinking of just letting someone like Austin Buddy do me some custom ones - but I would need to send him my guitar I think - the neck-thru-body and the unique wood and hardware - EVERYTHING just makes so much difference..

Please see A Buddy’s comments on Page 6 of his Page in preset exchange where he asserts he likes 8.2 and keeps a Fractal with that FW! I did not make it up...

Please see A Buddy’s comments on Page 6 of his Page in preset exchange where he asserts he likes 8.2 and keeps a Fractal with that FW! I did not make it up...
I would normally not want to get involved, but as its Sunday... And the Austin Buddy pack is arguably an absolute wonder with respect to ironing out the sounds of boutique guitars (of which I do not own the right ones - ARGGGH!), so I guess this topic is of personal interest. Here are some quotes I found on the trusted internet:

"Hi everyone: I have updated the TonePack to the firmware 9.02 version, and starting this week (December 10th) any new customers ordering will receive both download versions when they order and can choose which they prefer. I personally prefer 8.02 still myself as the presets were designed on that platform, but they sound the same under 9.02 if the newly added SPKR COMP parameter in the amp block is set to zero.

For anyone who owns the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack, if you do upgrade to 9.02 firmware, NOW you can use the latest FracTool 2.60 to change the AMP BLOCK’s new default SKPR COMP of 3.0 back to 0.0 — and that will keep the preset tones the same as in 8.02.

First, as always, use FractalBot to back up everything BEFORE you do anything. So you can always go backwards.

If you loaded up presets under 8.02 and then updated to 9.02, the update will apply a SPKR COMP value of 3.0 and change the sound some, lowering the volume slightly as well (compression)."

See the actual link, he includes the steps to use Fractool to remove the unneeded (relative to his dial-in) compression.

link (accurate as of 2018 01-14 - 6:66 pm Devils Advocate Time...) https://austinbuddy.com/updating-700-naked-amps-tonepack-version-9-02-8-02-know/

if Austin Buddy did not really say any such things, sue me and remove my belongings from the premises immediately - ah yes, and let Carls Junior assume guardianship over my various offsprings).

One noteworthy thing is that he does say to simply set the SPKR COMP to zero - implying there is little or no difference after doing so. Also, assuming there really is a difference even when setting the SPKR COMP to zero, then I am pretty sure with anyone doing a ton of work to dial in an exact sound, it sucks to not be able to easily duplicate that in a newer firmware. Does that mean there is something better in an earlier firmware. Well, probably not conclusively. ; ) It would be cool if the two factors, easy re-dialing, and enhanced quality in algorithms, were identical though. That would save a lot of fuss.

So although not conclusively, if someone buys me a Danocaster I would be happy to expressely determine, exactly with much exactness, whether there is any exact difference.

Meanwhile I hope Cliff does what he knows to be the right thing, because I for one have no idea.

If you loaded up presets under 8.02 and then updated to 9.02, the update will apply a SPKR COMP value of 3.0 and change the sound some, lowering the volume slightly as well (compression)."

I challenged Buddy on this (when he posted it), because updating firmware does NOT change saved settings on existing presets (although it does change underlying algorithms). Only resetting the Amp block would make that change... And if that is the only difference, then they should be exactly the same as what were already there.

I would normally not want to get involved, but as its Sunday... And the Austin Buddy pack is arguably an absolute wonder with respect to ironing out the sounds of boutique guitars (of which I do not own the right ones - ARGGGH!), so I guess this topic is of personal interest. Here are some quotes I found on the trusted internet:

"Hi everyone: I have updated the TonePack to the firmware 9.02 version, and starting this week (December 10th) any new customers ordering will receive both download versions when they order and can choose which they prefer. I personally prefer 8.02 still myself as the presets were designed on that platform, but they sound the same under 9.02 if the newly added SPKR COMP parameter in the amp block is set to zero.

For anyone who owns the 700+ Naked Amps TonePack, if you do upgrade to 9.02 firmware, NOW you can use the latest FracTool 2.60 to change the AMP BLOCK’s new default SKPR COMP of 3.0 back to 0.0 — and that will keep the preset tones the same as in 8.02.

First, as always, use FractalBot to back up everything BEFORE you do anything. So you can always go backwards.

See the actual link, he includes the steps to use Fractool to remove the unneeded (relative to his dial-in) compression.

link (accurate as of 2018 01-14 - 6:66 pm Devils Advocate Time...) https://austinbuddy.com/updating-700-naked-amps-tonepack-version-9-02-8-02-know/

if Austin Buddy did not really say any such things, sue me and remove my belongings from the premises immediately - ah yes, and let Carls Junior assume guardianship over my various offsprings).

One noteworthy thing is that he does say to simply set the SPKR COMP to zero - implying there is little or no difference after doing so. Also, assuming there really is a difference even when setting the SPKR COMP to zero, then I am pretty sure with anyone doing a ton of work to dial in an exact sound, it sucks to not be able to easily duplicate that in a newer firmware. Does that mean there is something better in an earlier firmware. Well, probably not conclusively. ; ) It would be cool if the two factors, easy re-dialing, and enhanced quality in algorithms, were identical though. That would save a lot of fuss.

So although not conclusively, if someone buys me a Danocaster I would be happy to expressely determine, exactly with much exactness, whether there is any exact difference.

Meanwhile I hope Cliff does what he knows to be the right thing, because I for one have no idea.
And if you read more he states that he prefers 8.2 and that he keeps a Fractal with 8.2...just a bit further into the forum pages.

And if you read more he states that he prefers 8.2 and that he keeps a Fractal with 8.2...just a bit further into the forum pages.
It's right there in the first quoted paragraph....Although he is talking about 9.02, which had a error in the Amp blocks making them slightly darker. 9.03 fixed that. 9.02 sounded different than 8.02 to me, even with the new parameters taken out of the equation. 9.03 sounds much closer to 8.02 to me.

"Hi everyone: I have updated the TonePack to the firmware 9.02 version, and starting this week (December 10th) any new customers ordering will receive both download versions when they order and can choose which they prefer. I personally prefer 8.02 still myself as the presets were designed on that platform, but they sound the same under 9.02 if the newly added SPKR COMP parameter in the amp block is set to zero." .......Which seems to contradict itself? If they sound the same with the newly added 'SPKR COMP' parameter in the amp block set to zero, Why does he prefer 8.02?

If the 8.02 presets were originally saved with the old parameter at '0', they will load in 9.03 with the new parameter at '0', So they should sound the same in 9.03....

This is all just based on one man's opinion. 9.03 may sound a bit different? Better or worse??? I happen to like it better.

It's all part of the journey. Some take it, some don't.

It's right there in the first quoted paragraph....Although he is talking about 9.02, which had a error in the Amp blocks making them slightly darker. 9.03 fixed that. 9.02 sounded different than 8.02 to me, even with the new parameters taken out of the equation. 9.03 sounds much closer to 8.02 to me.

"Hi everyone: I have updated the TonePack to the firmware 9.02 version, and starting this week (December 10th) any new customers ordering will receive both download versions when they order and can choose which they prefer. I personally prefer 8.02 still myself as the presets were designed on that platform, but they sound the same under 9.02 if the newly added SPKR COMP parameter in the amp block is set to zero." .......Which seems to contradict itself?

If the 8.02 presets were originally saved with the old parameter at '0', they will load in 9.03 with the new parameter at '0', So they should sound the same in 9.03....

This is all just based on one man's opinion. 9.03 may sound a bit different? Better or worse??? I happen to like it better.

It's all part of the journey. Some take it, some don't.
Sorry! Well whatever FW you are using I will follow! Last words from me!! I own most of Moke’s presets and change FW as he updates...

Sorry! Well whatever FW you are using I will follow! Last words from me!! I own most of Moke’s presets and change FW as he updates...
No need for sorries brother.....Some just really obsess over this stuff. I just follow along with Cliff. New firmware is going to sound different. If it didn't, what would be the point of a new firmware. Personally, I'd like to see the Amp modeling changes chill for a while until Cliff comes across something significant.;)

Last night I had a session in a full band and used all night one of Mokes and one of Fremen's presets with fw 9.03 and they sounded stellar. Amazing tones inspired me to play things I've vever played before and got me flying on the seeling of the room.
Great job you guys. ;)

Last edited:
What about added functionality?

It doesn't always have to be about sound! Although it is most of the time ;)
+10000000000000000000000000000000000 on that!!! Like I said...
Personally, I'd like to see the Amp modeling changes chill for a while until Cliff comes across something significant.

That Wish List thread is getting cob webs...;)

I'll just make an unrelated observation on this FW. I just put on some slightly fatter strings. And maybe someone else has noticed this at some point other than at this FW. But here's the deal: When I take a random amp model, turn on the boost on the amp page, turn on the saturation switch, and select Ideal - then I swear the guitar tone sounds a bit like Gary Moore. I did it with a Plexi 50 Watt Jump. Then I tried the Euro Red Modern... Its like getting a mixture of the characteristics of a certain amp sound, and a Gary Moore tone. I wasn't sure how Gary Moore got his tone. And I'm not sure why this works. Now its getting ridiculously tempting to try this in other amps. I never used to recall Ideal sounding that Ideal.

Back
Top Bottom