Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.00 Public Beta

Yup, same here. More noise but sounds more realistic.

To be honest, more noise is probably also more realistic, haha.

That's the only way I could pick out what was G3 and what was the real McCoy when cliff posted the marshall clip before the beta was released. The real deal had more noise.

Yes. Actually i stopped to avoid noise... it can be criminal but there should be some.. and recordings sound organic...

Just tried to express it somehow.... ok.. let say... noise is more pronounceable and easier to hear... more saturation...

Noise floor is unchanged. That's a function of the hardware. Firmware can't change the noise floor.

That begs the question ... how low is the noise floor in the XL? Let's just say the XL should have come with a statement that warns you to, "watch your step" ... it's that low!!! Just FAS-tastic!!! :encouragement:

Noise level is very low.
Note that if you performed a system reset, you also also did reset the global noise gate offset (Global menu).

My go to amps (Fas Modern, 6160II) are yet to be converted but thought I'd check out FW18 with a couple of other amps. I randomly ended up with a biamped patch with a 6160 block panned hard left and a brit 800 mod panned hard right both through an ultrares OH Mesa V30EN.

Holy hell thats a cool sound.

I didn't like either of those amps before. With a good amount of gain, I found the low end too congested, uncontrolled and smooshy, now their looseness in the low end is HUGE yet controlled.

It feels much more 'connected' now. Another thing I noticed is that I used to dial in too much treble into my presets in order to make it FEEL more responsive to pick attack at the sacrifice of the overall tone - otherwise it felt a bit too dead. Now I don't need to - I can reduce the treble to levels which make the tone SOUND better because the 'feel' is all there. It's now effortless to play through. It makes me sound way better than I am!

A pertinent (hopefully) question for Cliff: With a virtual amp like FAS modern, as it is already using the new algorithms in this beta, will it improve much more once it is ported over to g3? Of course I'm not sure what the process involves in porting over an amp to G3 - I assume it involved lots of very specific electrical measurements of the physical amp, which of course can't be done to a virtual amp... Of course this is pure speculation as I'm sure I shouldn't know your proprietary methods! Hence my question.

Thanks Cliff. The Axefx is really delivering the goods now - and I've always been one of the guys who wasn't entirely satisfied with anything previously...

A pertinent (hopefully) question for Cliff: With a virtual amp like FAS modern, as it is already using the new algorithms in this beta, will it improve much more once it is ported over to g3? Of course I'm not sure what the process involves in porting over an amp to G3 - I assume it involved lots of very specific electrical measurements of the physical amp, which of course can't be done to a virtual amp... Of course this is pure speculation as I'm sure I shouldn't know your proprietary methods! Hence my question.

Those amps will not change much.

is the G3 update for amp blocks only?
Has nothing else been updated/added to?

At the moment I use the 4CM setup with no amp blocks (obviously) so does this mean that firmware 18 will be exactly the same as 17.4 ?

is the G3 update for amp blocks only?
Has nothing else been updated/added to?

At the moment I use the 4CM setup with no amp blocks (obviously) so does this mean that firmware 18 will be exactly the same as 17.4 ?

So I guess I could upgrade and all my settings will be the same, but it will allow me to fool around with the amps at home (I'm planning on buying a Matrix GT800 very soon)

The rotary block was updated as well. It will also default to being on everywhere that block exsits after the update. No big deal & a small price to pay for a greatly improved rotary.

Really... i just want to say it... i play ODS HRM mid patch.... cannot stop.... never enjoyed so much with response and dynamics.... it is alive now as i wanted it..
Cliff and Fractal team, thank you!

Back
Top Bottom