Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.00 Public Beta

It's not just the "Level" & "Gain" different, The playing Feel & Sound were totally different too. I like FW17.04 more.

I've rolled back to 17.04 for now.
After realising that my 40+ presets will need an amp block reset. I know it's been mentioned that amp block resets aren't necessary with 18b, but one prime example was a clean preset I have with 'USA clean' and 'Double verb' amp blocks, the sound went very thin & quiet. So I raised the levels up to optimum, but the tone was still very thin. So I copied the Xs to Ys, and then reset Y's for a comparison. The reset blocks sounded full and warm, very nice, less muffled even with everything set flat. I will mention at this point that I rarely do any deep editing. Maybe a minor thing here and there, but most amp blocks are stock.

So I'll stay at 17.04 for now, and once this is out of beta, all the amps have been 18-ified and there is an updated AE to support it, then I'll update, and set about resetting & levelling by amp blocks to taste.

Which G3 amp do you guys like best so far for nice clean/broken up fendery tones?
Any recommendations?

Not very clean but medium "grit" I love SuperTweed... add a BB pre drive in front for more "leadish" kind of tone...whhoooooohooooo!!!

For cleaner I really like the Vibrato Verb AA

It's not just the "Level" & "Gain" different, The playing Feel & Sound were totally different too. I like FW17.04 more.
Sorry it didn't work out for you. You're right: feel and sound have changed. I can't imagine not loving that change, but it's your ears and hands that you need to please, not mine.

I've rolled back to 17.04 for now.
After realising that my 40+ presets will need an amp block reset. I know it's been mentioned that amp block resets aren't necessary with 18b, but one prime example was a clean preset I have with 'USA clean' and 'Double verb' amp blocks, the sound went very thin & quiet. So I raised the levels up to optimum, but the tone was still very thin. So I copied the Xs to Ys, and then reset Y's for a comparison. The reset blocks sounded full and warm, very nice, less muffled even with everything set flat. I will mention at this point that I rarely do any deep editing. Maybe a minor thing here and there, but most amp blocks are stock.

So I'll stay at 17.04 for now, and once this is out of beta, all the amps have been 18-ified and there is an updated AE to support it, then I'll update, and set about resetting & levelling by amp blocks to taste.

Hmm...I thought it's the other way round: The advanced parameters get forced to reset this time and because of that your presets sound different. Because when I dialed back in the advanced parameters to the values they had before updating my sounds were good again. Should I reset the resetted presets one more time and that even improves the tones?

Hello,

I'm a big Marshall fanboy (the only amps that I use in the Axe are the HBE, JCM 800 and JTM45). While I loved the sound and feel of those amps in the Axe, i never really managed to dial out the harshness in the high end. After installing 18.00 yesterday, I noticed that this harshness was almost gone. To me this firmware is a big success. Thanks Fractal.

Thanks for letting us try this, Cliff!

I tried some G3 models last night and it was absolutely amazing.
Indeed, I tried the 1959 SLP normal model [i.e. a Marshall], found the harshness removed, but also the distortion seemed much more complex, as if there are more ingredients to it?
Try the AC-30 TB model, I ended up playing around with this for a while, very nice. Also try setting the Transformer Match on the Speaker page of the Amp block to 2.0 for some extra grind.
The Dumble Clean is very liquidy and the notes sort of 'ping' particularly nicely on my top three strings, if hit hard enough. With many amps, the notes feel like they are surrounded by a bubble, if that makes any sense? A more 'tubey' feel.
The reduction in harshness is quite noticable in models like the 6160 and Euro Uber, they're also much more focused.
I tried the Soldano 100w crunch and lead models: The Soldano is noted for being a very loud amp. When I turned up the master volume, not only does the sound and volume change, as per normal, I got a real sense of man... this is really a LOUD amp, even though I'm wearing headphones!
There is so much more warmth and liveliness in the power amp sections now.
Not sure if I'm imagining this: sometimes there even seems to be some randomness to the distortion, as if the imperfections inherent in the amps modelled have been really well implemented.
Those of you who are into touch sensitivity and finger dynamics will really dig G3.
Though DO remember to backup your presets beforehand of you try it, just in case.

Hmm...I thought it's the other way round: The advanced parameters get forced to reset this time and because of that your presets sound different. Because when I dialed back in the advanced parameters to the values they had before updating my sounds were good again. Should I reset the resetted presets one more time and that even improves the tones?

I'm not sure but like Cliff said, "it couldn't hurt". I noticed a huge improvement when I reset the blocks after update. It could be that the tone settings I had aren't suited to the new firmware. Others might find their existing presets react more favourable to the new FW.

not to burst your bubble guys, but on my original mark I, there's a "g2 modelling technology" writing on the front panel. so, my OCD says i cannot install a g3 thing on my axe, it just ain't right... so i urge you all, don't mess with it, this is some evil trickery.

Fixed.

G3%20Fixed.jpg

And the fun continues, just tryied out a 1987X TREBLE which I am using for an 80s Clean tone and compare it with the one I was using on the FW 17. First impression, it feels better and it is more sparkling now and more spacious. This is getting better. I got all need so far.

Clean tone with the 1987xTreble, Crunch and Rhythm with the Plexi 100 W High and Lead with the JCM800 or Friedman HBE. As are the ones I have been using I got the reference of the previous sounds and feel and I am happy with both experiences.

I made a quick preset using the TS808 - 5153 red - Ownhammer SB-75 Studio modern + Guitarhack ThisOne and it sounds great. Very tight and dynamic. I usually suck a lot of the bass out to tighten things up but the 5153 is noticeably tighter now on palm mutes.

I'm experiencing a lot more noise though, it doesn't sound as clear as it used to be, getting a lot of feedback and excess noise even with the gate up high.

I'm not sure but like Cliff said, "it couldn't hurt". I noticed a huge improvement when I reset the blocks after update. It could be that the tone settings I had aren't suited to the new firmware. Others might find their existing presets react more favourable to the new FW.

There are settings that are related to my guitar and some that are related to the IRs I use. When they get reset to a factory value...now how does one know what my guitar and my IR sound alike. You see, it makes sense to set these adv parameters back to the values zhey had before.

This guy knows whats up! This was something I wanted to say the other day but couldn't get away from playing long enough to do so.
Good ear man.
I agree. The changes are subtle, but a definite improvement. Sounds and plays less like a typical SS modeler with every upgrade.

Almost like a very fast multi-band compression happening on the front end.

Thanks FAS.

I feel like an FAS "evangelist" when talking to fellow players about my rig.

Had a rehearsal last Sunday. Had paid an older "pro" sound tech come in for the demo takes. I hit a few patches, warming up..then this tech from the back sez.."WOW, that's really nice!" It sure is rewarding to get props from pros who know what guitar should sound like.
He had not heard of FAS, and was perusing the site before we left!

My experience:

I was not completely thrilled with the changes initially.

Figuring something was not quite right, I did a reset of system parameters.

Voila. Amps at defaults or close are well described in this thread. (I still made minor adjustments to level, sag, input, and gain.) So FYI, it it doesn't sound they way you expect, you might give the reset a shot.

So I guess the best way I can mirror what others have said without devolving into a bunch of words like 'chewy, harmonics, and creamy' is probably Cliff: 'Stuff sounds better'. And it does.

R

Back
Top Bottom