Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.00 Public Beta

What if the next update doesn't sound the same as fw 17.04 either ? ;)
Then I'm gonna give my axe away for free and I will start playing the drums again

Nah, pvh block will then be my go to. Theres so many choices. Im a creature of habit but ill be honest with you, I have achieved great tone from being pushed out of my comfort zone by experimenting with other amps. :encouragement:

Just installed the beta. Wow. My knowledge of recording will fit on the head of a pin but I can record a basic track in Reaper. Did that with one of my go-to patches, Plexi 100 Jump with the TV cab and an OH. Recorded a "before" and "after" sample. Simply incredible. Smoother w/o fizz but retains note definition. Very minor tweaking needed.

Then I tried a couple amps I never really cared for outside of clean tones; the Morgan Treble and the Tweed Deluxe. Again, the crunch tones are just killer. That "smooth" thing again! Looks like I have a "whole lotta patchin" to do tonight! Good grief...the choices...THE CHOICES!!

Totally agree with this.
Any high end fizzle that was unwanted before is completely gone.
I also find the low end in general is really tight and un-flubby.
New rotary is very cool too.

I spent a couple of extra hours today, this time with Deluxe Vrb. Maybe it won't be a fair comparison but nevertheless volumes are little bit lower than with previous firmware I noticed kind of a High Fidelity Sound. More harmonics maybe? or more comfortable for the ears. I am really excited about the end result. FW 18 will defenitely add an extra value to my Axe FX II.

I don't think anyone is necessarily whining or anything, but I'll never understand why people get bent over tiny things. "since the update amp x is louder or amp y is quieter"....well then just adjust the level. is it that hard? "amp x sounds different"....well duh, it's an update, a very major one, some amps will sound significantly different.

like someone else said, (Lareese, maybe?), not every individual will like every amp. What I have noticed is that I am liking some amps I didn't like before....such as the Boogies. I've never liked Boogies, real or modeled, but had a blast with the Recto's last night. Same with the Diesels (even though I know they aren't finished yet). They've always seemed overly compressed but seem much more open and organic.

Just realized that all my presets that have a rotary now have the rotary active. First few presets I played after updating did not have this issue cause it was not in the patch. Why would this upgrade turn the rotary on even though it was not before?

Do people actually read any other comments before posting ? The rotary "issue" has been mentioned and addressed about 30 times so far in this very thread, as well as several other threads.

The rotary block is new, when a new block is implemented into the FW, it defaults to the "on" setting for any presets that have a rotary block in them, even if it wasn't previously active by default. Its just how it works when a totally new effect block is added. Reset the block, turn the effect to bypass, and then resave the preset and it will be off when you go back to the preset.

Do people actually read any other comments before posting ? The rotary "issue" has been mentioned and addressed about 30 times so far in this very thread, as well as several other threads.
Many people don't, and I can't always blame them. If someone found this thread tonight, for instance, they'd have to read 600 posts to catch up.

That said, I do share your frustration at seeing the same question addressed over and over.

The rotary block is new, when a new block is implemented into the FW, it defaults to the "on" setting for any presets that have a rotary block in them, even if it wasn't previously active by default. Its just how it works when a totally new effect block is added. Reset the block, turn the effect to bypass, and then resave the preset and it will be off when you go back to the preset.

Well I am truly sorry for asking. I breezed through several pages looking and figured it would be quicker to just ask. Next time I will just ensure I look through all 30+ pages cause I have a ton of time to spare...

it's quicker to ask because people reply. if no one replied a) there wouldn't be as many posts to go through and b) one would have to search for the answer.

either way, just follow my site and you'll know most of the important stuff :)

True, if we weeded out all the post talking about the rotary block this thread would probably be half its length LOL

I will admit though that it is sort of a strange behavior that you don't see in most FW updates, BUT, it is mentioned in the release notes, and it is a BETA release, but understandable at first to have some comments and "bug" reports come out for it.

I kind of wonder if public beta's really are the way to go though, and maybe its better to just make people wait for a real finished product. One one hand its very cool to get the beta as so many people were losing sleep with anticipation for it, but on the other, your giving a beta release to the masses, and there seems to be some expectations that everything should be finished and perfect. Wouldn't be called a beta if that was the case.....

Guess its best to just say "here is a beta, its not finished, install it if you can't wait for the final version. If you don't like something about it, reinstall the previous version and/or ask for a refund on the cost of the upgrade"

I don't think anyone is necessarily whining or anything, but I'll never understand why people get bent over tiny things. "since the update amp x is louder or amp y is quieter"....well then just adjust the level. is it that hard? "amp x sounds different"....well duh, it's an update, a very major one, some amps will sound significantly different.

like someone else said, (Lareese, maybe?), not every individual will like every amp. What I have noticed is that I am liking some amps I didn't like before....such as the Boogies. I've never liked Boogies, real or modeled, but had a blast with the Recto's last night. Same with the Diesels (even though I know they aren't finished yet). They've always seemed overly compressed but seem much more open and organic.

I think its good people state what they think of the beta. it gives FAS an idea of what we think. this is customer service in its purist form. a lot of businesses can learn from how this company runs things.

I think its good people state what they think of the beta. it gives FAS an idea of what we think. this is customer service in its purist form. a lot of businesses can learn from how this company runs things.

agreed, but not when the "issue" can be solved with the turning amp level up or down, same for gain. If those types of changes take place it's (as far as I know) because Cliff has gotten the model closer to the original, therefore it reflects in those changes.

So you would have to do this to every single factory preset that contains a rotary block?
I actually downloaded FW18.00, and with Axe-Edit v3.14, navigated to a preset with a rotary and just shunted that bad boy right out of there! Seems that until the final build is released, Axe-Edit might still be the quickest way to deal with the Rotary block situation.

I'm in the Holy Sh%^balls camp on FW18. I haven't had that much time to try it, but most of my time has been spent with the Tweed Deluxe. The original Tweed Deluxe in the Axe was based off one I sent to Cliff. He must have one of his own now. The current incarnation is just fabulous. It just rages when cranked without completely farting out out. Harmonics popping out all over the place. It also sounds great with volume knob down or gain rolled back for an excellent clean tone. The amp is not known so much for it's clean sound because it sounds so great when cranked, but at less than full volumes, I love the clean tones, too.

Some people are talking about the difference being subtle between the last FWs. Not with this amp. It was quite good before, but it's mindblowingly good now. Wow. Thx again for reinventing the modeling. Rotary sounds much better, too.

Back
Top Bottom