Axe-Fx II Firmware 18.00 Public Beta

Installed OK this (the second) time :pride: - no sonar running - Axe Edit is reading and saving block definitions... :encouragement: when that's done i should select "Refresh after new FW" in Axe Edit, right? (or does this only refresh Axe Edit?)

Don't know if anyone else is having this problem but since I've updated to few 18 I have to crank my drive pedals' level to get the same volume as the bypass setting. I'm using the output meters in the utility menu to double check to make sure my ears aren't playing tricks on me and the meters show the output is less when I turn on the drive block even with my levels over 7. Loving the Fender Bassman G3 by the way you can almost smell the old tweed.

The input trim in the amp block got reset to 1.00, so when you use your old presets and had input trim turned up there they have changed.

In all seriousness, has anyone got any advice on the Mark IV? It seems like the gain structure has changed a great deal, and I can't seem to get anything going with it. I've tried it all over the board.

If you want to have a Mark IV sound like JP, I can suggest you, Turn on SAT [Auth], first of all but remember you have to turn down Input drive about 6.20 or so when you turned SAT switch ON, and overdrive about 7.40 or so, also MV on 2.0 adjust Bass, mid, treble to your taste but normally it could be bass on 1.80 or lower, mid somewhere between 4.80- 6.20, Treble on 7.50, also turn ON Presence Shift, and presence on somewhere between 3.85- 4.88, and EQ V form I can't give you an exact adjusting.... because it depends on you guitar wood sound character.... and pickups as well but look at a V form shape until you achieved a familiar tone of Mark IV to your ears,you don't need to go deep with ADV parameter but there is very good knob it's in Dynamics page of amp block now you can just find it on AXE it's called: Crunch I think it's now adjusted to 6.7 but you can turned it up to 9 or so it will add a really nice crunch character to your tone !

don't be shy to use preamp page of cab block for me Transformer was the best but with a very little of Drive and Sat knob also you can use their EQ a little bit to get the final tone, select an IR from OH stuff if you have Mesa, or CK factory IR 57-121 is very good but may be you need low cut a little bit,

I think now you have to hear a good tone of Mark IV

Hope it helps buddy ;)

Last edited:
I got that same error the first time I tried to instal 18.00 (I had my pedals unplugged). I just turned the Axe off and on again and tried again, it worked fine on the 2nd attempt.

Yep. Worked on attempt 2. I go the same error. Nothing hooked in except jack and USB.

Gave it a try on my last day of holiday. This is how it worked out for me :
Overall great sounding FW, had to turn down a bit drive (-1) and volume (-3 to -6dB lower) of Plexi 100W high and the few high gain amps I use, all vintage amps volume -3dB, except for Brit Brown : -6dB, lot of power in there. Here and there had to turn up presence or Bright +1 to +3dB and lower Bass or use Bass cut on a few high gain amps.
Have two issues regarding the Beta FW :
- "intermediate" Volume swells on swithing presets (can send the presets if necessary)
- My axe Fx was on patch nr 22 in bank A while uploading, and the patch got replaced by patch nr 127 of bank A

Excellent FW, finally very few tweaking, only 2 hours for the 25 presets I regularly use, and great sounds. The Deluxe Reverb is a pleasure compared to it's predecessor. The Twin I don't feel the changes, but this also was the patch 22 that got suppressed while upgrading. Will save my bank and reload the upgade in case anything got wrong.

Correction after reloading : Double Verb is not yet in G3 so quite normal not to feel that much change; looking forward to that.
Correction after rehearsal : had to readjust a few volume issues and decided to change cab's on one patch (G12H instead of G12M) for some more agressive high end on one amp, don't remember which one. Confirm that Plexi is "driving me crazy", that good it is.

Last edited:
Took 18 for a quick test drive yesterday. Holy baaaaaalls! To me this has been the best firmware update yet. The distortion carrectoristics have always been something I've felt needed some help on the axe, but this update has addressed it. I spent I long time just playing the guitar last night. Haven't done that in a long ass time. Thanks cliff and crew, wish there were more companies like you out there! Keep up the good work, and rock on!

Sounds like the battery is dead in your pedal. The firmware has no effect on external devices.
Sorry, drive block not pedal. I'm not using any external pedals with my axe fx. I tried the get boost, bb pre and ts808 models, which are my go to drives. The fet boost made my amp cleaner with drive set below 5 even with the level set at 6.5 or higher, I had to set the bb and TS levels above 8 to achieve the same volume as when the block is bypassed.

Sorry, drive block not pedal. I'm not using any external pedals with my axe fx. I tried the get boost, bb pre and ts808 models, which are my go to drives. The fet boost made my amp cleaner with drive set below 5 even with the level set at 6.5 or higher, I had to set the bb and TS levels above 8 to achieve the same volume as when the block is bypassed.

There were no changes to the drive block.

I've had limited time (maybe 3-4 hours total) on FW18 so far, but pretty quickly got the 'wow' factor after loading things up. Some presets immediately sound better and some will need work.. as expected and not a problem. In fact, it seems even faster to build a preset from scratch and get a keeper. All the new IR stuff is adding to the mix as well- some killer new options. I'm going to rebuild to some extent for this new FW- work on incorporating the new rotary block, new IR mixes, etc.

Really nice work FAS, CK, Kevin (OH)..

What IRs are you digging Hotplate, why are you digging them and for what genres?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed a small difference when using it with IR's on my studio monitors, but I've tried it through my real cabs today, and the difference is much more noticeable there:
- I've always felt this light 'digital sound' in the highs, and that has been reduced significantly
- still in the highs: it's clearer, more presence, without being sharp
- bigger difference in sound between models: I mostly have a Plexi through one cab, and something Voxy through another. The difference between whatever is coming out of my two cabs is much more noticeable
- a little fuller in the low mids

I'm curious how this will translate at high volume at rehearsal this weekend. My sound was always a bit politer than that of our singer who plays through a Vox AC15 HW. I think that politeness may have been reduced.

edit: that's right, I use the Rotary on one patch, and that has improved immensely. It sounded like a funky chorus at first, now it's a rotary, no mistaking it.
Good stuff. And for free. Best amp investment so far for me.

Jan

Back
Top Bottom