AX8 Firmware Version 10.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any chance of implementing Output Mode: "FRFR/SS PA + Cab" in the AX8?

It would be an awesome addition for those of us who frequently switch between studio monitors and real guitar cabs :)

Thanks for the continued support, Fractal :)

There is already global parameters to do this. You can globally turn off cab modelling when you want to use the solid state amps and real cabs.
Yes I can, but it's not the same as changig Output Mode in the amp Block.
Setting output mode to SS PA + Cab does not disable cab modeling. It changes the way the Speaker compression Works.

From the Wiki:
"The default value, FRFR, is the classic mode and designed for use with monitors or recording. The SS PA + Cab mode is intended for use with a solid-state power amp and conventional guitar cab. In this mode speaker compression modeling behaves differently relying on the speaker for compression while still simulating the interaction with the power amp."

This was introduced in the Axe Fx III in Firmware 1.16. I'm just making a humble wish for it to be implemented in the AX8 as well ;)

Still on 10.0, using 1.9.0 edit. There's nothing that makes the unit unuseable live. Some pops here and there, preset change not as fast as I'd like, a weird click sound that only happens with my Parker guitar on a clean preset, etc. Minor stuff.

The only problem I've had sometimes is that I hit a preset and sound comes out "thin". I go down a preset, come back and it sounds full again. It's hard to reproduce and happens in rare ocassions, but I can't say but exactly I am doing when it happens. No time to take notes when playing live.

If the port is finally done I'll give it a go for sure :)

Still on 10.0, using 1.9.0 edit. There's nothing that makes the unit unuseable live. Some pops here and there, preset change not as fast as I'd like, a weird click sound that only happens with my Parker guitar on a clean preset, etc. Minor stuff.

The only problem I've had sometimes is that I hit a preset and sound comes out "thin". I go down a preset, come back and it sounds full again. It's hard to reproduce and happens in rare ocassions, but I can't say but exactly I am doing when it happens. No time to take notes when playing live.

If the port is finally done I'll give it a go for sure :)

Hi, I have exactly the same problem from time to time with last firmware.

Hi, I have exactly the same problem from time to time with last firmware.

Just something else to try if you haven’t already.
I thought I had that same problem but it ended up being a bad cable to my expression pedal and the wah stayed engaged. Happened intermittently and drove me nuts.
If you don’t use expression/wah then obviously this wouldn’t apply to you but thought I’d share...

Intro g, g , g, g

ver1
in dm, c, f
F5, oh ya, F5....
F5, whoo baby, it’s F5...

ver2
dm, c, f
F5, thats all I do, F5
F5 is what there is to do F5.

riff
chr
G, F#, F
F, fufufufu 5
whowwww
F, fufufufu 5
repeat...

meant totally in fun,

Yes I can, but it's not the same as changing Output Mode in the amp Block.
Setting output mode to SS PA + Cab does not disable cab modeling. It changes the way the Speaker compression Works.

From the Wiki:
"The default value, FRFR, is the classic mode and designed for use with monitors or recording. The SS PA + Cab mode is intended for use with a solid-state power amp and conventional guitar cab. In this mode speaker compression modeling behaves differently relying on the speaker for compression while still simulating the interaction with the power amp."

This was introduced in the Axe Fx III in Firmware 1.16. I'm just making a humble wish for it to be implemented in the AX8 as well ;)

The wiki quote is from the Axe FX III and not the AX8, and the implementation is not the same. There is no SS PA cab setting mode in the AX8.

The AX8 works very well to either or both PA/Studio Monitors and to a SS amp and traditional cabinet. The speaker settings in the amp block and power amp section - compression and the interactive modeled power amp impedance loading is active with the cab block with IR to FRFR monitors, and also to a large extent when bypassing the cabinet and going out to the SS power amp and actual speaker cabinet. I have Celestion IRs which are a close match to the actual speakers I have. Dial up the amp block's speaker compression or drive; and the actual speaker can sound like its being driven hard: even when volume is low. You can go the other way and turn the drive and compression off and play really loud to actually overdrive the speaker: In that circumstance those interactions won't be implemented with the IR in cab block. I personally never play loud enough to drive a speaker that hard.

In practical use: I find that the modest levels of compression and drive in the amp block that work well with the cab block, functions nicely at those same settings as an enhancement with the actual speaker cabinet (bypassing cab block). It may not be ideal in every situation, but if one needs to split hairs: either make a compromise using both at the same time, or save A/B settings for each saved as scenes.

Realistically, if you had to exactly match the compression and drive levels of the IR to the actual speaker, you'd have to make adjustments for each venue: because an actual speaker would compress more or less depending on the level it was driven at, which could vary from the FRFR where output volume is independent of the interactive amp/cab modeling settings.

My presets are all set up so Out 1 (cab block) goes FRFR, Out 2 (FXLoop bypass cab block). No need to change presets depending on use or venue, or use the menu. XLR for PA or Studio monitors, TS out for the SS amp & cab. Just plug in whichever cables are needed and play.

While there may be some capacity for improvement, and however much of Ares can be implemented for AX8, this much already works to my satisfaction.

Last edited:
The wiki quote is from the Axe FX III and not the AX8, and the implementation is not the same. There is no SS PA cab setting mode in the AX8.
Yes, that was my point;) That's why i made a wish for it to be implemented in the AX8 in my earlier post.

Don't get me wrong. The AX8 works great through both FRFR and conventional guitar cabinets as it is, so it's not essential in any way. But the ''FRFR/SS PA + Cab'' output mode in the Axe FX III seems like a really cool idea, so i was kinda hoping for it to be implemented in the AX8 as well.

I'm happy either way. Just one mans wish, as we're all getting exited for the next update:) We all have our wishes and hopes for what the new update will bring. I bet it will be awesome, whatever comes!

What I'm wondering, since Ares is more processor intensive. I assume that presets, that are already running on current firmware and using allot of processor power will not run with Ares. So we have to re-visit some of our presets and touch them up a bit.
Not a big deal really, just a point of curiosity really. At least for me.

What I'm wondering, since Ares is more processor intensive. I assume that presets, that are already running on current firmware and using allot of processor power will not run with Ares. So we have to re-visit some of our presets and touch them up a bit.
Not a big deal really, just a point of curiosity really. At least for me.
I would be surprised if they're even considering adding the full Ares platform to the AX8 but rather more aspects of it, adding to what was included in FW 10.0. The part of Ares that was introduced in FW 10 didn't seem to impact the CPU in my experience. Anyone who has updated to Ares 2.0 on the Axe II would have a better answer.

My theory is that the processor in the AX8 simply lacks the processing power to run the full Ares platform but is capable of running portions of it. It would also not make sense for FAS to give the full version of their new modeling platform away on a device that's been discontinued. I know there are some here that feel they deserve it and are somehow owed it...but I digress.

All I know is I couldn't be happier to be wrong about a company. I knew the gear would be top-notch but FAS has far exceeded any expectation I had going in with their first-class product support and customer service. Looking forward to many, many years of complete satisfaction with my gear and my tone.

Cliff is already working on it.

I'm working on Ares 2.00 for the AX-8. It's difficult though since the processor isn't as powerful and I'm having difficulty getting the new algorithms to run in the allotted time. I've also been sick all week and only have enough strength to work a couple hours a day.

I'm working on Ares 2.00 for the AX-8. It's difficult though since the processor isn't as powerful and I'm having difficulty getting the new algorithms to run in the allotted time. I've also been sick all week and only have enough strength to work a couple hours a day.

Thank you! Fractal Audio's approach to supporting every customer past/present is a big reason I bought into this fine company! Hope you're feeling better!

Because I had not seen anything for the AX8 for updates, and I was not interested in the FM3 (I would rather see an all-in-one beefed up floor model like and AX10 - with more horsepower and a couple more switches), I was becoming discouraged and went out an bought a Helix floor. So far I have played with it a couple evenings. I do like the routing and the interface and some of the capabilities of the effects, but I cannot seem to get a decent crunch or overdrive tone out of any of the amps or drive pedals.

I posted on the Helix forums my frustration, and there are some nice helpful people there who told me the presets suck and I need to build my own or get others. Some people even sent me some of their presets. Still, nothing with the crunch reality of the AX8. I will give it a few more nights of trying, but I am leaning on sending her back. Now I see there may be Ares 2 in the future. I was already happy with my tones, but would not complain about even better. But, again, for Cliff's notes, an AX10 or 12 with more of the capabilities of the III would be an easy sell to me. I have owned my AX8 since the beginning (before that the Ultra) and never had a stitch of trouble. Build like a tank, and I can get great tones out of it. Was just becoming concerned that Fractal was moving on from it.

I don't need more switches. I think the AX8's footprint is perfect. It fits comfortably in a cabin case, and I fly a lot with it. And with the 8 switches plus the possibility of combining Scenes and single effects on/off... I really couldn't ask for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom