AX8 Firmware Version 10.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bamm-Bamm from Jemsite?

Welcome! What took you so long?

The new 2.0 firmware will add some improved amp modeling from the latest generation tech in Axe-FX III. And perhaps fix a intermittent issues reported by some users. The latter topic is hotly debated which has caused unrest in out normally peaceful forum.
Dats me! I literally got my AX8 days ago. I am a DIE hard tube-fanboy, so I just enjoyed my gear and let people worry about this stuff until I finally heard the right demo and saw the capabilities. Not to mention some old fashioned peer pressure from my new bandmates who also are running no stage volume, and we all run IEMs so I'm the guy that takes the longest to get set up and get my mic placement set up and all that. I am tired of lugging hundred watt heads and cabs, etc. I literally used the AX8 live 2 days after getting the thing! Aside from getting used to navigating the patches, it was a breeze.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I rely on and gig my AX8 weekly, and have since it was new. Great news that there is still life in the old girl to possibly get ARES in there - would be great. But even as is... always on the current firmware available... mine's been rock solid for years and years. I don't spend any time programming it because I have it dialed perfectly for me but working on my Win10 machine in the editor never caused any issues for me.

If someone has an issue with theirs, that's unfortunate. Best practice would be replicate and document the bug so it can be examined and corrected. Lacking that... it's hard to help someone with the issue.

If people would read what I actually wrote, they will realise I don’t have an issue. I am on a solid, stable firmware in v6.04.
I don’t have crashes, I don’t have freezes, and I don’t have volume jumps. They are all bugs that seem to have come later.
Why would it bother people that I would mention reported bugs that would only benefit everyone if they are fixed? They were all still there being reported up until the bug report forum was locked.
This place is strange.
So glad I bought the Kemper Stage and if the hostility in this forum is anything to go by, it was the right decision.

If people would read what I actually wrote, they will realise I don’t have an issue. I am on a solid, stable firmware in v6.04.
I don’t have crashes, I don’t have freezes, and I don’t have volume jumps. They are all bugs that seem to have come later.
Why would it bother people that I would mention reported bugs that would only benefit everyone if they are fixed? They were all still there being reported up until the bug report forum was locked.
This place is strange.
So glad I bought the Kemper Stage and if the hostility in this forum is anything to go by, it was the right decision.

Nobody is being hostile to you. Ironically, you're being pretty hostile though.

You said you didn't want to upgrade because of the bugs. So it is completely reasonable to believe that you've experienced the problems yourself. With that in mind, nobody's going to spend their time searching your post history to figure out what you have or have not experienced.

If you don't want to upgrade, that's completely up to you. But if your approach to upgrading software on devices is based solely on whether or not the software has bugs, you should never upgrade anything. To my knowledge, nobody has ever released a computer/mobile operating system without bugs. Electronic musical instruments are no exception. Historically, none of them got fixed unless they were quite egregious. This frequent firmware update thing with bug fixes is a relatively new thing. And to this day, most companies are still very slow. Fractal has always been very fast to fix bugs as long as they can reproduce them. I've not aware of a single bug of this magnitude that Fractal has not fixed once they could reproduce the issue. But it is nearly impossible for them to fix an issue that they cannot reproduce - for starters, how would they know if it was fixed? This is not a problem unique to Fractal.

Myself and others are happy to help troubleshoot with anyone that wants to try to troubleshoot the issue and narrow it down.

This place is strange.
Dude, seriously?

You come in here to repeatedly bitch about problems that YOU DON'T HAVE!

You claim that these problems are keeping you "stuck" at an old firmware.

If you've never had the problems and many people who ARE on the latest also tell you they have never had the problems, what exactly is the issue?

There is no hostility here - only people trying to make you understand that you are not stuck except by your own choice.

If you want to not be stuck then choose not to be. And if you DO update and experience a problem then do your best to report what triggered it... And then worst case roll back. It's a simple process.

I'm done commenting because you are just going in circles.

Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Hi Vinnyburns.

I don't want to bother you, and I respect your position, but maybe you should assess whether it is worth to stay on your stable 6.04 version. I tell you that, because if suddenly I began to experience the loss of some of the improvements on playability provided in later versions, like program/scene change response times, I would report it as an important bug, far more annoying than a rare and unlikely shoutdown bug that almost no one has reported to experience on a gig.

There is no hostility. Best of luck with the Stage. I hear the toaster (second guitarist) whenever my band plays a gig, and it sounds great...although I've never been tempted to switch.

This place is strange.
This is exactly the experience of the majority of those who are on 10.01 and all they have done is report their experience based upon your reluctance to update. Yes, there are those who have had issues with their units but it's definitely not the typical experience. You're soured on Fractal and that's fine. What doesn't make sense is you went to a product with which you have actually experienced a bug, one that causes you to restart it, and that's the one you're going to use live. I guess it just doesn't make sense, especially since you apparently have two AX8s, that you don't update to 10.01 on one of them and see for yourself if it's going to work or not. Otherwise it appears there's another agenda or axe to grind here (pun intended).

I'm trying to be good citizen and to be polite when criticising. I don't always succeed and to be honest, I can understand Vinnie. There are some bugs that can be easily reproduced which never got fixed. Saying FAS will fix bugs fast as long as they're able to reproduce them does not match my personal experience. These bugs might not matter to 99% of the user base I have to admit. I appreciate this community which is THE reason why I went the Fractal route instead of L6 and do think you guys are awesome. Still, at times I get the impression that there are crusaders out there ready to protect the holy church of FAS / Cliff Chase from being critisised.

I for myself have to admit that anger and frustration are in most cases caused by experience mismatching expectations. I wish there was a common ground what to expect and what not but unfortunately I've never read a statement from FAS covering this, only forum user opinions.

Peace, folks.

@vinnyburns I get your frustration and your point is fair - a freeze should be fixed. It's been a while since I read through any threads on the issue but my recollection is that nobody was able to come up with a set of steps for anyone else to reproduce the problem.
Do you or anyone else have reliable steps to repro the bug?

I've been writing software for over 35 years - bugs almost never get fixed without a way for the developer to reproduce the problem.
This 100%
I do think it is silly though to ask end users to possess precognitive abilities allowing them to switch on video recording before an obviously random bug occurs. AS IF a video of "I stepped on FS1, played an A chord, cool. Stepped on FS2, played an A chord, no sound. Repeat and get cool, cool" would do anything to help. (Not implying Fractal Audio or hippietim made that request. They have not TMK.) To be clear--I totally get that a bug of this nature could forever stay in the won't/can't fix column, especially if it involves digging through code that someone else wrote.

@vinnyburns Cheers! You don't know me, but as a lurker, I learned A LOT from you way back in the HRI days.
FWIW, I have experienced the volume drop bug on 9.04 but never when USB was disconnected. There are others(I count 2) that reported it with USB disconnected prior to the forum lock in May. I have avoided 10.x for the loud pop on some models which could also be avoided by not using certain amp models as I understand. I would give my AX 8 a stability rating of "A" on 9.04 if you don't need USB connected live. I expect the same would be true on 10 if certain models were avoided.
I realize there are more confirmed and unsolved bugs but I haven't experienced them.

Where at all did I suggest that. You say you have an issue. No one else has that issue. We can’t solve it if we don’t have the issue.

Stay on stable firmware for gigs. But we can’t solve it if we don’t know what causes the issue that we don’t experience. Pretty straight forward.
emphasis mine

Read this out loud and see how it comes across to everyone else.
Last time I checked, I was technically a one else. Initial instinct will be to view this as an attack, but sincerely meant as constructive from a long time lurker and relative newcomer.
I have zero doubt your intentions are to help the Fractal Audio community and promote the brand. Regardless of your intentions and IMHO, countless post likes this do more damage to the overall positive vibe of this forum and potential growth of the Fractal Audio user base over the long term than any number of dickish posts like in the thread that was (appropriately) locked ever could. I have the same opinion of the occasional "mob mentality" pile on BS as well. I honestly don't see how comments of this nature could be expected to do anything beyond agitate or attempt to discredit a posters concern. Fractal Audio has done and will continue to do just fine without anyone else having to pounce on any negative comments. Just my "take it or leave it" .02. No offense intended. Your and others' willingness to help on this forum is appreciated.

I'm working on Ares 2.00 for the AX-8. It's difficult though since the processor isn't as powerful and I'm having difficulty getting the new algorithms to run in the allotted time. I've also been sick all week and only have enough strength to work a couple hours a day.
Awesome. Updates to a discontinued product are beyond cool in my book.
My AX8 shipped with some confirmed bugs which I hit pretty quickly. I could have taken advantage of Fractal's liberal return policy, but given my expectations and that these wouldn't impact live use for me. I elected not to and I own that decision. I am not under the impression Fractal Audio owes me a damn thing.

My personal assessment for decisions regarding AX8 and any future investment that might replace it--
10.x is a permanent beta. 8.x up has some confirmed bugs that are likely in the "won't fix" category. I would love to have that assessment changed.

Respectfully, I suggest a few stickies or an open sub-forum for bugs on discontinued products would go a long way even if they remain in the won't fix category. At least new reports might shed light with helpful information and not be as quick to get buried or lost in the noise as in this thread. Or, any known ways to avoid the bug could be shared by end users.
There have been multiple suggestions in this thread for people to report on AX8 bugs. Where?

At any rate, amazing piece of kit! I hope you get well soon.

(I sat on this post for two days. Probably won't come off as intended. Oh well. Fook it.)

What exactly do you mean by "freeze"? Other than Bank Up, what doesn't work? What happens to audio? Can you change patches via Bank Down? Is the only way out of it to reboot? The more detail you can provide, the better. Also, have you filed a support ticket? It could be that the actuator is malfunctioning and causing issues.
In these instances, the only loss of functionality is the Bank Up switch. Everything else works and audio remains the same. I can change patches in any Down Bank (but, of course, the one I want at the moment is in a higher numbered bank). It usually happens at rehearsal, so I need to fix it fast, so just Reboot. Next time, I will see if say, putting the tuner on and off reverts it. It's so infrequent, I haven't filed a support ticket, but might if it keeps happening. Chris, by the way, provides a lot of useful information on this forum. In the main, this is a very respectful, helpful and friendly community.

This 100%
I do think it is silly though to ask end users to possess precognitive abilities allowing them to switch on video recording before an obviously random bug occurs.
this was asked only of people that said this specific bug "happens all the time."

if it happens all the time, you could surmise that you could hit record and eventually get it.

when i said "read this aloud..." i commented specifically on the statement (paraphrasing):

"an announcement was made where they said they wouldn't fix bugs; in fact, they didn't say anything about bugs."

how could they say they won't fix bugs and also not mention bugs at all?

@chris I appreciate the response. I still think it's silly but that is just my unsolicited opinion. Totally get that bugs like that lead to grasping at straws.
On the other, Fair enough. I believe you saw my intent which was simply to illustrate how myself and others might view some comments. Thank you. The internet is what it is.

Looking forward to the new firmware!!!

I am on the latest AX8 version, Win 10 for editing, I have not experience any bugs, use it live and for rehearsal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom