AX8 Firmware Version 10.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't need more switches. I think the AX8's footprint is perfect. It fits comfortably in a cabin case, and I fly a lot with it. And with the 8 switches plus the possibility of combining Scenes and single effects on/off... I really couldn't ask for more.

I agree. I love the current form factor AND functionality. I'd just love to see an updated model with more powerful processing, ares, and a headphone out.

I agree. I love the current form factor AND functionality. I'd just love to see an updated model with more powerful processing, ares, and a headphone out.

I could live with that. But, loving the idea of an all in one with no addl pedals, I would like 1 expression pedal as well. But I know that idea gets poo poo'd a lot cuz folk are selective about what exp pedal they use. It is not a deal breaker for me. I currently love the AX8 as is, but agree, I would easily purchase an upgrade with more power. But, as is, it is the best unit I have ever owned. I tried my new Helix again last night, even with some donated patches and IRs I am not finding the convincing crunch I have enjoyed with Fractal. Keep up the great work Cliff if you are watching!

I posted on the Helix forums my frustration
Keep working on it. I use a Mooer Preamp Live as backup and I've gotten all I need out of it. I'm sure the Line6 floorboard is also capable, you just haven't found the right combination yet.

I'm working on Ares 2.00 for the AX-8. It's difficult though since the processor isn't as powerful and I'm having difficulty getting the new algorithms to run in the allotted time. I've also been sick all week and only have enough strength to work a couple hours a day.

I hope you’re feeling better.
Are there any updates to this?
Also, are there any concerns about getting ares 2 to run on FM3 since it is roughly the same processor power?

Yes, the processing is roughly the same, but the architecture is different, that's why AxeFx 2 and (soon) AX8 don't run the full Ares algorithms and instead Cliff is porting tailored versions. Only him knows how much can be ported to suit their respective architectures...

Regarding this, an interesting comment by cliff himself:

"The Ares architecture is even processor agnostic. The Axe-Fx III uses TI DSPs while the FM3 uses Analog Devices."
source

This could make you think that ares could be run even on axe fx ii and ax8 DSPs without any particular issue, but there's an important difference between those older CPUs and the ones inside the axe III and the FM3:
48 vs 64 bit processing, and that I think is an important aspect of the full Ares algorithms.
Cliff said, and I'd have to find where, the issue is that the Ares algorithms take too long to run in the allotted time on the AX8 DSPs. Can the DSPs process the code...sure...but not in such a way that the outcome is a workable Ares solution on the AX8...at least not yet.

Hello everyone!
I'm Pato from Argentina.
2 years ago I bought a Headrush and I didn't like it. I sold it, I saved money and a few months ago I was able to buy a used AX8 (mint condition).

Everyone told me not to do it because the FM3 will arrive soon and also, there would be no firmware updates for the AX8, etc, etc. I didn't care and bought it.
It's the best purchase I made so far, it's amazing!

And now, maybe (just maybe) there's an Ares update for AX8...
I hope Cliff can do it. And if he can't, there's no problem.

I have a Roland VG99 and is discontinued since... many many years. No more updates.
So? No problem: still rocks!

I've had pedalboards for years (Headrush is one of them) and nothing compares with the AX8.

Anyway, I hope good news about AX8-Ares firmware.

Greetings to all from Argentina and sorry for my english!

Pato.

With the FM3's firmware almost done I have the feeling a 'soon' might be just around the corner... :cool:

No, I don't have any info on this, but I do know Cliff is a man of his word and if he said he's working on it then we'll have it and patience will be rewarded.

Doesn't matter. The FM3 is specifically designed to run Ares modeling.
Quite the opposite. It is off the shelf parts put together in a way to be modular. There is no custom silicon in there, just regular DSPs available to anyone for a few dollars.

Quite the opposite. It is off the shelf parts put together in a way to be modular. There is no custom silicon in there, just regular DSPs available to anyone for a few dollars.
There's a lot more to design than custom silicon. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom