Fighting my CLR

I do have reverb on my presets...do you mean somewhere else?
Nope just in your presets. When you made this comment
"It's just the fact I don't like a guitar tone pressed against my ear drums. It's like sticking your head in front of a guitar cab speaker and hearing that. Won't sound good."

I was just stating a little reverb gives it a room to play in which can help your In-ears. Or not...;-)

I'm not a fan as well of the tone pressed against the eardrum. I use reverb to give it a tiny bit of distance. Helps sometimes.

I have the new apex A6...really good sound (except for guitar). I also use the Rev33 attached to them to help with fatigue.

Dude you got the same exact setup as me 64 Audio A6 with Apex with a Rev33 going into a shure wireless PSM900 unit. Mine sounds awesome! We do use avioms and I do have to work with them every once in awhile to get it just right sometimes. I have zero ear fatigue since I got my A6 last week.

If like to know too.
They really do work great. I just got mine last week. I have used them every day, for a few hours each time learning my songs for the weekend. The A6's kick butt. I was getting a ton of ear fatigue, with my v6 stages. My ear would be numb for at least an hour afterword. Not anymore. I say, if you can upgrade; do it. Extremely happy.

I had to send mine into get remolded, and Alex suggested that I upgrade to A6 Apex, it wasn't much more than the remold as they were having a killer deal. I imagine they are still having that deal.

Last edited:
"Particularly when using in ears, the guitar direct from the AxeFx can be so "In-Your-Face" that it doesn't feel natural. What I do is to add room sound to put the cabinet in a "space." I especially like the proximity parameter to simulate the mic capsule compression at loud volume. Adding "air" as Angus states in Micheal French's TSO video is not the "Air" parameter but rather removing the speaker from your inner ear using the Room parameter. Keep a moderate size to avoid any delay and try the room level around 18% to 22%."
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/a-few-words-about-live-sound.94787/ post#1

"Particularly when using in ears, the guitar direct from the AxeFx can be so "In-Your-Face" that it doesn't feel natural. What I do is to add room sound to put the cabinet in a "space." I especially like the proximity parameter to simulate the mic capsule compression at loud volume. Adding "air" as Angus states in Micheal French's TSO video is not the "Air" parameter but rather removing the speaker from your inner ear using the Room parameter. Keep a moderate size to avoid any delay and try the room level around 18% to 22%."
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/a-few-words-about-live-sound.94787/ post#1

No room level on the AX8

OK, lots to talk about lol!

My axe 8 and XL+ both sound great in ear buds, full blown headphones and in ears. However, that's only if I use one of my studio sounds. Studio sound meaning, created and tweaked for the studio.

This sound going to the mains, usually sounds good but if I pipe it through my Marshall cab, it's thin and not very good.

My live sound, which was created through my cab, sounds great through the cab as well as the house. But it's also mic'd in a sweet spot. This sound direct to the house, needs massive work to sound good. Too much low end, and it just doesn't translate well the same as it doesn't if I try to record this sound using the XLR outs.

Finding this happy medium may be a challenge because everyone has different ears. 12 guys may tell you their rigs sound great....you may hate their sound. It's just a matter of trial and error. I don't mind bringing a 4x12 cab and a 5 space rack.

I'm set up in 40 seconds or less. One cable to my cab, plug in my furman, plug in the cable for my MFC and I'm rocking'.

On the gap thing, this is a bit of a problem for me too with the AX8. However, I've noticed something weird in my particular application.

Scenes, which are supposed to stop/cut down on the gap, actually make it worse for me. I literally use individual presets to make the gap lesser of a problem.

My MKII and XL+ have 0 gap using scenes, but have gaps in full blown preset changes, but they are different animals.

The biggest issue with gaps is amp changes from X to Y. If you can cut that down, or make individual presets that have your Y changes set for X and do the individual preset thing, I promise you a definite difference for the better.

As for not being happy with patches, the start there is to share what you have created so far. Though we can't totally advise you what may be wrong because we.don't have the same gear and signal, we may be able to pick up on *something* to point you in the right direction.

Whatever you do, try not to get frustrated. You got some really good guys involved in your thread that though passionate about their tone/rig etc, really want to help. I know you know that....just assuring you. :)

Last edited:
No room level on the AX8
Crap, Thats right. When I think about it, I've never used the AX8 with IEMs, only the AXE FX so I just assumed it was in there. My bad.

Either way, I always use Studio C reverb on my patches which in essence is the same thing, maybe even a little better quality. I don't use big lush reverbs on anything live. The room reverb effect really does help with IEMs.

By the way, to get the tone through my CLRs sound (kind of) similar to my power amp + cab, I do the following:

- Start with a good IR.
- Increase De-Phase in the CAB block (at least 2.50).
- Add a GEQ at the end of the grid. Set it to "5-band Passive". Turn down the Low and High bands completely (-12), increase the Mid band to 2 dB, and decrease Low Mid somewhat (to your liking).

By the way, to get the tone through my CLRs sound (kind of) similar to my power amp + cab, I do the following:

- Start with a good IR.
- Add a GEQ at the end of the grid. Set it to "5-band Passive". Turn down the Low and High bands completely (-12), increase the Mid band to 2 dB, and decrease Low Mid somewhat (to your liking).

Where is de-phase in the cab block? Or are you using the axe-fx?

Where is de-phase in the cab block? Or are you using the axe-fx?
Yes it's only on the axe fx, very similar to the smoothing parameter in cab-lab though. And Yek's suggestion I think leads to a similar result to what I have suggested in my previous post.

One approach is to use "far field" IRs which are obtained using a measurement mic at a typical listening distance and angle. These are rare. There are a couple stock far-field IRs. They are indicated by (JM) for Jay Mitchell, who created them.

I frequently use these IRs paired with one of the close mic'd IR's. These IR's really make a big difference playing through FRFR for me.

I really miss the DePhase parameter from the AxeFX. Too bad that didn't make it to the AX8. Oh well, we can always hope the AX8-II will support it!

- Start with a good IR.

Couldn't do the de-phase since it's not there but tried the GEQ and that doesn't get me what I want to hear. I don't think it's an eq thing. It's the "sound" of the CLR.

Back
Top Bottom