Which are your main guitars and why?

Eggle Berlin Pro 22 HSS

wow, that brings back memories...i don't think i've ever seen another Eggle. i bought one from the factory showroom too (did you get the tour? :) ). unfortunately they rushed it out just before xmas and the fingerboard was like the seven hills of rome. i had to send it back to get sorted. i fitted an internal gk kit to it and used it for maybe a couple of months and then sold it. never really bonded with it.

my main gigging guitar at the moment is an Atlas (Atlas Custom Guitars) made in thailand. it really is an amazing guitar. i put a dimarzio air zone in the bridge and two dimarzio virtual vintage stacked singles. i also fitted a graphtech ghost system in it for acoustic tones. wilkinson vs100 trem. it's incredibly versatile (i have a push/pull on the tone control for tele sounds as well) and it plays incredibly well. unfortunately, it's really heavy (9.5lbs!) so i'm going to have to sell it. i have a parker maxxfly lined up which i hope to get in january.

atlas1-leveled.jpg

my other main guitars are two custom headless jobs made by keith bennion from kgb guitars in liverpool. the maple topped one really is a beautiful instrument. the brown one has an internal gk pickup and a sustainiac, which i love, but that guitar will have to be sold to pay for a cutom headless 8-string with sustainiac i'm having built at the moment.

kgbm4-leveled.jpg

kgba3-filtered.jpg

globe_guitar2.jpg

Cruz relic 60's strat with floyd... I have quite a few guitars but this one is just so spot on, neck feels awesome
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356723520.107393.jpg

Parker Fly, with modified internal wiring. The reasons:
1. Perfect neck that feels just right in my hand, and has no "dead spots"
2. Range of sounds, including piezo and synth, so I don't need to change guitars
3. Light weight, i can wear it all night

Which model do you have? I thought only the MIDI Fly had synth access?

I love threads like this.

My main guitars number 5.

One is no longer in play, it's a sentimental old girl, my first 'real' guitar that I worked for and saved up for and bought new in 1981 Guild S-25 all Frankensteined out over the years. Still sounds and plays great though.

81-Guild-S25.jpg

My (only) acoustic is a Taylor K-16ce and it's incredible. I don't have a photo of it handy online.

Then come the 3 main electrics.

The first is semi-retired; it's been through 2 full refrets and will need a new neck, it won't support another refret. It was custom made Custom Artist by Gerard Melancon in 2004. I have played the **** out of it.

48218ab7.jpg

The big two.

My workhorse - it's functionality and ability to offer me acoustic and different tunings on the fly make this my gigging mainstay. It plays and sounds fantastic.

It's a James Tyler USA JTV-59 Variax.

561735_10151382759189502_106546970_n.jpg

And my #1:

This thing is beat up, and plays and sounds and feels perfect to me. As far as PRS guitars go, it's a plain Jane. It is chipped, dented and cracked. It's been played mercilessly. It's not pretty (especially up close) but it's a machine. I love this thing.

1995 PRS Custom 22

IMAG0200.jpg

I'm going between my Strat Ultra, Godin Lgxt, and my Johnny Hiland PRS. I think I go through phases.

I find it interesting how many EBMM are listed, and yet no Les Pauls.

no Les Pauls.

I have a LOT of Les Pauls of various vintage and model but by far and away this Custom Shop Axcess is hands down the best guitar I've ever played in my life. It plays like nothing else and the tone... oh my... The Tone. Suhr Aldrich Pickups.

558860_523946727618203_1899224787_n.jpg

Second is actually a recent buy. A NOS 2010 Cobraburst Custom Shop Class 5. I need to swap the nut out but aside from that it's almost up there with the Axcess. Still not quite though!! Suhr Aldrich pickups at the time of the photo, now Lace Wino's.

382084_539051956107680_134456209_n.jpg

6342_539066722772870_1238679363_n-1.jpg

The guitars choose me. I've got a number of Lesters, and often I think I'll gel with one, and next thing I know, it's another one that works out well for me at the time. I've got a '57 GTDB, a '57 triple pup BB, a '68 Custom, and a '59 [Yamano] Lemonburst. All outfitted with various BKPs or stock 57s. I tend to gel most with the '57 GTDB, but the '68 has bite and the BB and '59 sing like none other. Like I said, they pick me.

In the heavier realms of play, I have an NT-II loaded with BKP PKs, and strung with 11s, tuned full step down drop B. It thunders. Noodling speed work, a BKP MM equipped FR-II.

An assortment of others. I've been eyeballing PRS as of late. They seem as though quality is key. I'd like to try one or two out.

In short? Lesters. Which one, however, all depends.

i play both of my petrucci music man guitars almost exclusively with the JPX the better of the two. The black sugar JPX has the roasted neck and its about the best playing and feeling guitar i've owned. The natural explorer is awesome sounding and playing and the blue sparkle ibanez is probably the worst sounding guitar i've ever heard. no sustain but i keep it because it looks cool.

8320439982_54baeee0ba_b.jpg

8202194422_80ac710c3d_b.jpg

I have some nice guitars but my go-to guitar is my 1981 Les Paul standard (the sunburst on the left) and yes I am the original owner.
Why this guitar? Plays great sounds great, well yeah that’s a given!
20120317023-1.jpg

This guitar through the years has seen a s*** load of different pickups no matter what was put in it, always sounded good but after a while I was missing the cleans the guitar had with the original pickups. Around 15 years ago I put in some Duncan Seth Lover Recreations which are pretty much low/medium gain pickups. Ahh the cleans were back but gain sounded much better to, the wood tone of the guitar just seemed to come through more.
Not over yet! I just ordered some Joe Bonamassa pickups from the Duncan custom shop (the reason for the custom shop I need them in a four wire configuration) should have them by the end of Jan. However another low/medium gain pickup, I am not expecting a huge difference between them and the “Seth Lovers” but still a different voicing. Something about them I tried on another guitar that got my attention but still you never know till they are in yours. But this time around going for four push pull pots the volumes will be used as a coil tap, the other two not completely sure yet I was thinking running parallel in the bridge and maybe a phase reversal in the neck. Im sure the guitar is going to see the bench a few times ha ha.

John

And I don't know why the guild custom shop ever stopped making these, slash designed crossroads, pretty rare nowadays but great for your knocking on heavens door/ stairway / hotel California thingy .... ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356797908.754364.jpg

My Larkins to start with:
7string with Graphtech Ghost loaded Floyd Rose, Graph Tech Acoustiphonic and Hexaphonic kit
175%2520-%2520tailbasssm.jpg

More info here:
Geert's 7 string ASAD with MIDI

The gift from the Light of my Life for my 50th birthday:
SSheadbass2.jpg

More info here:
Blue Maple Superstrat

My 35th anniversary Strat:
DSCF7364.JPG

My Warmoth Strat with Kinman Woodstock set:
Warmoth%2520Strat%2520Blackburst.jpg

My Warmoth soloist, now with a Sustainiac:
Warmoth%2520Soloist.JPG

Both Warmoths will be replaced in the near future by Larkins.

My main 7, a BRJ Hesperian Custom shop I had made for me 2 years ago.
DSCN2862.jpg

my 3 main 6'ers
My 2001 Jackson SL2H-Mah
DSCN1960.jpg

my 2002 GMW super strat
2005-02-08021.jpg

my 1987 charvel Model 6, with ORF and dimarzios
DSCN3071.jpg

1323357934078 (2).JPG This is ALL my junk.
Regretfully I will be selling the PRS 513 10 top (far left) & the Breedlove Sitka/Walnut 12 string (far right) Arthritis in left index finger.

Those of you who own PRS's know how well built & how awesome they play.

The Breedlove SJ 250 12 string Absolutley sings. I installed an LR Baggs dual element pu. & run it into their Anthem DI... Unbelievable rich full sound.
**Main Axes**​

My main acoustic is a Mcphearson, 2nd from left, and is.... well...... Priceless. I played about 12 different Mcphearsons, some Taylors, Gibsons, but I chose the Madagascar Rosewood/Red Ceder 4.0XP. And for my style of playing; rythem, arpeggios, fingerstyle, this guitar was a clear standout. It also has a LR Baggs pu. (factory installed)

My main electric is my Alex Lifeson Axcess LP. I just pick it up more. I dont know if it fits me, or if I fit myself to it. & yes because he's my fave player. But I do love the finger board (neck) & floyd rose. It never goes out of tune. It really lends itself to my style of playing. + it really sings. Its Very versital, & with a piezo
806.jpg

My #2 is an Ibanez Roadstar II. At the other end of the scale, it's Les Paul-heavy, but the neck—the predecessor of the Wizard neck—feels even better in my hand. It also does a lot of tones very well.

Love my Roadstar II. My number one electric. Do you have the stock pick-ups in it?

Love my Roadstar II. My number one electric. Do you have the stock pick-ups in it?
I kept the stock pickups in for many years. They sounded great. Eventually, I changed them out for an F1 and an F2, which I'm loving. I'm tempted to swap the originals back in just to compare them again from a new perspective, but the F's handle a great range from heavy dirt to Stratty clean, and they do it well.

For years, my primary guitar was a late 70s heavily modified Strat with jumbo frets, Duncan Hot Stack pickups and a Floyd tremolo. Also had a wonderful Les Paul Custom up until it was stolen from me. Had a Warmoth strat made with a Floyd and an HSS pickup config; pretty much a super-strat. Also have an early 60s Mustang that I'm restoring.

A little over 2 years ago, I picked up a used Ibanez RG1570 and it has become my go-to guitar. More recently picked up an RG1550, which has similar specs as the 1570 except it has a maple neck, a pickguard and the electronics are front loaded. Hard to beat the playability of the higher end Ibanez RG series!

Back
Top Bottom