Which are your main guitars and why?

Stringmanipulator

Power User
Thought it would be nice to see each others main axes. The three below are my go to guitars,
but the Ibanez is used 90% of the time, because it's so very versatile and has so many pickup
"wiring options" .

:)

My main is a heavily modded Ibanez RG1550MZ Prestige from 2011.
ibanez_main.jpg
My second is a American DeLuxe Fat Strat also very modified
fat_strat.jpg
My third is an old Fenix "telecaster" model with kent armstrong pickups.
tele.jpg
I assume most of us are all gearheads and are probably owning
dozen guitars that why I suggested just the "main" guitars :)

you all have a good one
//Kenneth

5D30A08A-6278-490E-9B2A-AC519B9D5923-37057-0000287D6F494D65.jpg

Because I like them and know Steve.

Over the past year, the majority of my attention has gone to a couple of EBMM guitars: an Axis w/Floyd and a hardtail Rosewood Axis SuperSport. Though I was a PRS guy for a long time, the asymmetric neck profile fits my hand like nothing else I've ever played. I also like the raw feel of the raw rosewood and the gunstock oil on maple necks. Between the two of 'em, I can cover most any tones from heavy humbuckers (duh) to in-between tones to surprisingly good single coil sounds (the green Axis has a coil split switch).

Great feel + great tones + surprising versatility = happy guitarist

Axis2.png

axis_full1.jpg

Parker Fly, with modified internal wiring. The reasons:
1. Perfect neck that feels just right in my hand, and has no "dead spots"
2. Range of sounds, including piezo and synth, so I don't need to change guitars
3. Light weight, i can wear it all night

I have 3 guitars and i tend to focus on one of them at a time and thats usually based on what im currently learning/playing

right now its my ESP Horizon NT-II in Dark Brown Sunburst as its in C# standard and im currently learning white walls by btbam

I only use one electric guitar.
Tyler Landau classic with Tom Holmes humbucker and Budz single coils middle and Neck.
I get the old vintage humbucker/strat stuff with ease, and the Axe-Fx input trim, boosts and amp moddability take it from there into 70's, 80's, 90's and newer. Unplugged, the wood has good dynamics, vibration and "snap" and balance. This translates well into the axe-fx, and combined with the pickups, it's a very versatile rig. No complaints.

allGoToGuitars.jpg

Luke2, Eggle Berlin Pro 22 HSS, Levinson Blade Texas Std, Fender US Std Deluxe Strat & Ibanez S470

If I've to pick one guitar to 'do all with no breaks in between' for a gig then it'll be one of these 2 ......

luke2_eggleBerlinPro.jpg

The EBMM Luke is built beautifully and the EMGs are powerful yet versatile in the HSS set up. Trem is simple and stable, the guitar is light and resonant and has a fantastic feel to the neck.

The Eggle is a 1996 Berlin Pro Custom 22 .... passive SD pups (Custom Custom in bridge). As can be seen by the lack of gold finish on the pickup surround and bridge, this guitar has been my workhorse since I bought it new direct from the factory showroom. Soundwise, it can turn it's hand to any style except perhaps mad trem stuff. The trem is a Wilkinson locking bridge - it locks when the trem arm is at rest and unlocks to fully float when the trem arm is pulled up to about the level of the vol pot. It works fine for dives and wobbles .... but forget about doing any fancy trem arm warbles etc. Nice thing is that if a string breaks you still stay in tune if the bridge is in the locked position.

Both the Luke and Eggle have been refretted in the last year with jumbo SS fretwire and play really nicely.

For Stratness I have these 2 ..... Levinson Blade Texas Std and 1998 USA Std Deluxe Strat

blade_strat.jpg

The Levinson Blade I picked up used for ridiculously little money about 6 months back - no idea how old it is .... the original 6 screw bridge and springs were rusted up and done so I've just replaced it with a Bladerunner and set it up to float - now it's my favourite 'Strat'. The neck is std 25.5 inch scale but the neck has a Gibson like 12 inch radius - makes it easy to set up a low action. It's fitted with the Jeff Beck Noiseless pups.

The US Deluxe Strat is a very recent addition .... I got first refusal on it at a very good price so decided it would be nice to have the real deal. It's still work in progress with this one ..... not really liking the need to do the trem full depress trick to keep the tuning even though it's a two post trem. Even though I told myself I'd keep it stock when I bought it, I'm starting to think a Super Vee full locking trem system could find it's way onto this. It's got the same JB Noiseless pups as the Blade has but has a darker sound due to it's heavier body and rosewood FB.

Finally .... for the 80's revisited gig ..... Ibanez S470 ...

ibanexS470.jpg

Another steal at a price I couldn't refuse ..... unmarked and practically unused ex studio only guitar. It still has the Zero Return bar in it's trem .... but I'm thinking to lose that and just let it become totally FR like. Good stable double locking trem system, effortless neck and light as a feather due to an almost non-existent body - yet still manages a good tone - really well made guitar and a total surprise when I picked it up.

I have several, but I tend to use my PRS 513 almost exclusively live. It's about as versatile as a guitar gets, so I can cover a lot of ground without a lot of guitar switching. My guitarist counterpart in the band uses three guitars and switches a lot. If we were both doing that we'd be down to 5 songs a set, just too much wasted time.

2001 Custom ESP (main guitar for original band). This is an old pic when it had EMG's.
bodyxr.jpg

A 2012 Charvel Desolation (main guitar in cover band), which I don't have a single picture of... here's a stock photo.
2931310515_frt_wlg_001.png

A 2012 Emerald X10 acoustic
fontstanding.jpg

I guess I really need to get some updated photos of my gear!

It has to be my Ernie Ball Musicman Albert Lee twin humbucker model. Without doubt THE most responsive and versatile guitar I've ever played. PRS custom 24 is a worthy runner-up.

$(KGrHqZ,!rQE+n)qnLnLBQdHKZBC9w~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqJ,!h4FBBBiJPO!BQdHKbZG8!~~60_57.jpg

Some nice looking guitars here, wow!

I usually use a Godin LGX. I consider it a mid-level guitar. It has a nice tone and is comfortable to play, and I don't worry about it being in crappy bars.

My #1 is a '97 Ibanez 540S-QM, modded to let me split the humbuckers individually. Its HSH pickup configuration gives it a wide range of very good tones. I like the thin, wide Wizard neck, I love the shape, and it's light enough that I can strap it on for hours and not feel the weight.

My #2 is an Ibanez Roadstar II. At the other end of the scale, it's Les Paul-heavy, but the neck—the predecessor of the Wizard neck—feels even better in my hand. It also does a lot of tones very well.

Both guitars sound and play well, and their tuning is very stable for a locking bridge.

My # 1 is my Mark Tremonti Signature PRS. I was really looking for a single cut with a trem and I couldn't be happier. Its just a fantastic instrument.

- Fender American Deluxe with EMG S2 + EMG SPC + Ghost Piezo & Midi
- Ibanez RG550LTD with DiMarzio Fred + DP170 + DP213 + Roland GK3a

Fender_Ibanez.jpg

Because can't buy better ones :)

My #1 is a '97 Ibanez 540S-QM, modded to let me split the humbuckers individually. Its HSH pickup configuration gives it a wide range of very good tones. I like the thin, wide Wizard neck, I love the shape, and it's light enough that I can strap it on for hours and not feel the weight.

very similar to my preferences, I installed 2 push/pull pots a mini switch and got 40 combinations to choose from,
although many sounds similar I feel I can emphasize whatever sound quality I am into for the moment ..

I installed 2 push/pull pots a mini switch and got 40 combinations to choose from,
although many sounds similar I feel I can emphasize whatever sound quality I am into for the moment ..

Sounds fun. What combinations do you get from 40 options?

Back
Top Bottom