Tone Matching an Amp

Yes, the differences are quite noticeable for me as well on this one. Second tone is brighter, less full and it seems to sound cleaner (less gain). Not a good A/B IMHO.

it's all about personal tastes: if i must choose, i prefer the second one, for the same reasons you point out: brighter, cleaner, less "oomph";
but you can definitely say that it's the same amp.
i bet that several people will choose the first one, and that's the way should be: personal tastes.

I am confused. The Tone Match block will be doing the "EQ match" type thing AND also doing the Amp Match process?

Scott's post on page one alludes to this being "both," in that a guitar sound from a track is mentioned ("Mean Streets"), but also the lack of need for the Cab Block, as the Tone Match Block accounts for that aspect... which is what leads me to think that the Tone Match Block is also the Amp Match Block?

Cliff's clip and description seem to be "matching an amp" rather than "matching a tone on a record" (mic'd amp versus prerecorded bit). Or is this all being treat as (vanilla) "Source material"?

+1 My confusion could be identically stated.

As far as the differences of the two clips, the only significant difference I hear is the second one has a lot more power amp breakup on the last chord. The EQs are close enough such that noting any difference is insignificant and could be corrected if one chose to do so. If that's an example of how well the sound of an amp can be "cloned" I think it's damn close, close enough for me anyway and I'm very particular. Why someone would quibble about a dB or two of "brightness"??? The CHARACTER of the distortion is the important thing and to me it sounds nailed and those quibbling about EQ are missing the point.

I think I *might* understand this a little better now after reading some of the comments by the beta testers. If it works like I think it might work "right on!". :D

Beta testers: PLEASE feel free to comment of the specifics of the process of copying amps vs. copying sound clips (to the extent you are allowed to). :D

I liked both and thought they were close enough for R&R . God, if we need to do a quick tweak to 99%match then be it. Still will save me tons of time and honestly, i loved that break up tone

So would I be right in saying the following:

Tone matching, takes a sample tone and a preset that has been set up in the right ball park and then applies some clever stuff to make the patch sound like the sample tone. But only that tone, that's what we are talking about in FW 6 right?

Amp matching, actually matches an amp and how it reacts when you roll the guitar vol, or add in more drive on the amp, so multiple tones

Or am I way off?

And with this new feature, will the tone match block do its analysis, then make changes to the amp block setting autoatically ( like change drive, inc mids, add brt switch, change speaker res etc etc) then we remove the match block. Or do the amp settings stay the same and all the work is done in the match block.

Thanks

I also didn't notice that both had been played already lol

Well done! :D very impressive! ;)

I thought I heard a KPA turning over in its grave hahaha :p

I think you said bullshit :twisted

what I hear the not very good for my ears
I hope to that it will sound better when it's finished :roll

errr, those guys who are claiming that these clips dont sound pretty close should check their ears. I compared the clips sonically. What you see in the picture beneath is the difference between the two clips, indicated by the red line. As you can see, these differences are insignificant and would even occur, if you recorded the same part with identical sound settings (try it if you dont believe me). One thing though: the second clip is about 1db louder than the first one. That might be an explanation.

Attachments

• ampmatch.jpg
    ampmatch.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 179
They are very close undoubtedly. Significant brightness in the 2nd one which will likely be the axe fx. I'd take brightness over mud any day!

@ Frozen: first time i listened to it..didnt notice any difference either..second time i listened: i thought the second one is a bit louder (and because of that sounds a bit different :D)

does this matched controls mean i can just "copy" the the eq, gain whatever settings from a real amp and the corresponding axe fx model will sound nearly the same without tweaking ?

I just can't believe all this. I dare to say that aside from getting my axeII, this is the most excited I've gotten anticipating new gear (or firmware). I just can't wait to try the tone matching!

So the fractal is matching a recorded guitar track or sound? it is not recording an amp raw

So i if wanted to tone match my fav amp or "sound", i would have to record that to a DAW or somewhere and effect it how i wanted to get a great sound etc and then i would go to the fractal, choose an amp that might be close? not sure how to do this(there are so many choices in the fractal i would be spending a long time on this), and then play/record the track into the fractal, and then play the axe and they would then match?

is that roughly how this goes?

just trying to figure out how this works. so we are not getting mic'd amp sounds raw (pushing air) that we can then tweak, we are getting a recorded guitar sound of said amp, guitar, effects or whatever is on the recorded part?

can we record our amps directly into the axe?

thanks

Hi guys love the new stuff coming out... can we keep away from flaming, diss-in - comparisons .. of.any other products similar or not..... please..

love peace and guitarification...

I had a dream last night that this coming firmware update was so awesome that they just skipped the number 6 all together and numbered it 7.00 :D

Second part of the clip sounds a hair brighter to me, like if you cut the low end a bit, but could be just the playing, but they're very very close, nice work!!!

Same here, first one seemed to have a little more lows, but I preferred the sound of the second. Breakup characteristics sounded nearly identical in both.

So the fractal is matching a recorded guitar track or sound?

It can be a recording OR a live amp. If it's a live amp, just mic it up and feed the signal into the matching block as the reference signal.

Reactions: jon
It can be a recording OR a live amp. If it's a live amp, just mic it up and feed the signal into the matching block as the reference signal.

@Matt: Tone match from recordings you have to use playing Guitar as carrier signal, thats clear. But for Amp matching also? No internal carrier signal like a sine sweep, white noise or the signal used to shot IRs for the Axe FXII ? Would´nt this not generate much better results because carrier signal woul be 100% the same AND guarentee matching the whole frequency spectrum????

Back
Top Bottom