Tone Matching an Amp

FractalAudio

Administrator
Fractal Audio Systems
Here's the Tone Match block being used to match a Deluxe Reverb.

Version 6.00 also introduces "matched controls". So, in most cases, the knob positions on the amp match the knob positions on the model. For this experiment I set the Volume to 10 and the tone controls to noon on both the amp and the model. I took an IR of the cabinet and then used the Tone Match block to match the model to the amp.

The amp clip is using the amp's internal reverb. I used the Axe-Fx's reverb on the model.

This clip also demonstrates how the new power amp modeling breaks up just like the real amp.

www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/dr_on_10.mp3

which leads me to a question, let's say you are trying to match (for the VH lovers on this board) "Mean Streets"
It's been said you pick an amp model that you think is close but what about the Cab? that seems to be a large part of the Equation, I mean tring to match "Mean Streets" using the "metal 4X12" cab Ir would just seem wrong, so how does the user compensate for this?
I have no idea what Eddie was using for a cab on that CD?

I don't know which is which but the second part of the clip sounded a lot better to me. The first part of the clip sounds like a modeler to me - it has that slightly smallish kind of phased sound that is pretty common in a lot of cabinet simulations. The amp characteristics sound very good.

which leads me to a question, let's say you are trying to match (for the VH lovers on this board) "Mean Streets"
It's been said you pick an amp model that you think is close but what about the Cab? that seems to be a large part of the Equation, I mean tring to match "Mean Streets" using the "metal 4X12" cab Ir would just seem wrong, so how does the user compensate for this?
I have no idea what Eddie was using for a cab on that CD?

You use the Tone Match block instead of the Cab block.

Now, you CAN use the Cab block if you want, but there is no NEED to. For instance, keeping a cab block in and shooting an IR of your own cab and then matching your own amp... possibilities.

Second part of the clip sounds a hair brighter to me, like if you cut the low end a bit, but could be just the playing, but they're very very close, nice work!!!

Last edited:
I also didn't notice that both had been played already lol

Well done! :D very impressive! ;)

I thought I heard a KPA turning over in its grave hahaha :p

I am confused. The Tone Match block will be doing the "EQ match" type thing AND also doing the Amp Match process?

Scott's post on page one alludes to this being "both," in that a guitar sound from a track is mentioned ("Mean Streets"), but also the lack of need for the Cab Block, as the Tone Match Block accounts for that aspect... which is what leads me to think that the Tone Match Block is also the Amp Match Block?

Cliff's clip and description seem to be "matching an amp" rather than "matching a tone on a record" (mic'd amp versus prerecorded bit). Or is this all being treat as (vanilla) "Source material"?

Here's the Tone Match block being used to match a Deluxe Reverb.

Version 6.00 also introduces "matched controls". So, in most cases, the knob positions on the amp match the knob positions on the model. For this experiment I set the Volume to 10 and the tone controls to noon on both the amp and the model. I took an IR of the cabinet and then used the Tone Match block to match the model to the amp.

The amp clip is using the amp's internal reverb. I used the Axe-Fx's reverb on the model.

This clip also demonstrates how the new power amp modeling breaks up just like the real amp.

www.fractalaudio.com/tmp/dr_on_10.mp3

One is brighter. Not nitpicking just observing. That being said all the new stuff I heard today is way cool. Thanks.

Last edited:
My guess is the difference is in the verb, which to my opinion isn't a lot! very close! Impressive!

My guess is the difference is in the verb, which to my opinion isn't a lot! very close! Impressive!

I was just about to post something like "I think a lot of the perceived difference is due to the reverb", but you beat me to it.

Also the playing, it sounds like he played the same riff twice, so even with the same amp it's hard to make it sound exactly the same sound twice, it's always going to sound slightly different, so yes, it's very impressive!!

Don't Understand But It's Still All Good!

Putting the clips aside (which sound great), I am totally confused by Fractal's posts. I'm certainly not complaining, and I'll find out how all this works once the firmware is released, but in my mind there is not enough information to separate what tone matching is vs. amp matching and what blocks will do what and how they will do it.

It sure is one hell of a teaser though and I can't wait to get the firmware!!! It appears it won't be long and I'm razzed big time :p

Call it silly anal nitpicking if you must, but I think there were pretty noticeable differences in the tone - and the differences matter to me.

Yes, the differences are quite noticeable for me as well on this one. Second tone is brighter, less full and it seems to sound cleaner (less gain). Not a good A/B IMHO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom