Bug? TMA sounds like it has room reverb

shredi knight

Power User
Forum member Heavyplayer started a thread about this in a couple of the other forums, but I thought here might be the best place for it:

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-f...a-sounds-like-has-room-reverb.html#post825822

I've also found that most Tone-Match blocks (but not all) that were created pre 10.00 become corrupted when they are retrieved from one patch to another (I realize this might not be a bug, but just something that is inherent do to changes made to the TM block in 10.00).

I can confirm this issue. The TMA sounds don't sound like the tones they are supposed to match and there seem to be EQ inaccuracies......(muddy sound, too much mid, not enough high's)

Half my patches gone to S**t
Did you read the release notes? They specifically state - first lines

"NOTE: THIS IS A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE, PARTICULARLY IN REGARDS TO AMPLIFIER MODELING. THIS FIRMWARE MAY, AND LIKELY WILL, CHANGE THE SOUND OF EXISTING PRESETS. YOU SHOULD AUDITION ALL YOUR PRESETS AFTER INSTALLATION AND CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION AND TONE. "

I'm sure by now Cliff has read this and is aware of the problem so hopefully it will be fixed in the bug update. I was hoping for some kind of reply, but I see the man has his hands full with other issues/complaints.

"NOTE: THIS IS A MAJOR FIRMWARE UPDATE, PARTICULARLY IN REGARDS TO AMPLIFIER MODELING. THIS FIRMWARE MAY, AND LIKELY WILL, CHANGE THE SOUND OF EXISTING PRESETS. YOU SHOULD AUDITION ALL YOUR PRESETS AFTER INSTALLATION AND CHECK FOR PROPER OPERATION AND TONE. "
Amplifier modeling and tone match block are two different things...

I can't confirm this possible bug though, I barely find the time to touch my guitar these days. I'll start exploring V10 on Thursday

Just to be clear in case you are not just referring solely to jonnyguitarman , the problem we are having is with Tone-Matches created after 10.00 was installed , not preexisting Tone-Matches (except for jonnyguitarman, who seems to be referring to his pre 10.00 Tone-Matches not sounding good, which hasn't been my experience).

Just to be clear in case you are not just referring solely to jonnyguitarman , the problem we are having is with Tone-Matches created after 10.00 was installed , not preexisting Tone-Matches (except for jonnyguitarman, who seems to be referring to his pre 10.00 Tone-Matches not sounding good, which hasn't been my experience).

Nope, TM gone to pot and the amp modelling has taken a nose dive into utter uselessness for me.

Amplifier modeling and tone match block are two different things...
True. But a tone match block is used to manipulate the base tone that the amp block gives it. Change the amp block's sound, and you've changed the sound that the TM puts out.

I've had one Patch with a Tone match block go to crap the rest seem to be Ok
(my Damage Control patch actually sounds incredible now)
I'm going to try and 're shoot" it tonight (it was my Satch patch too :( )

I've had one Patch with a Tone match block go to crap the rest seem to be Ok
(my Damage Control patch actually sounds incredible now)
I'm going to try and 're shoot" it tonight (it was my Satch patch too :( )

I feel ya. I had loads. Everything from Vai, to Nevermore...and also IRs. All lost.

Just one side note. I tried doing another Tone Match tonight and noticed that I start getting that weird, hollow, sound immediately when even adding a TM block to the chain. When you hit edit, things sound "normal" however after you record, the outputted "match" sounds weird and hollow again.

Just one side note. I tried doing another Tone Match tonight and noticed that I start getting that weird, hollow, sound immediately when even adding a TM block to the chain. When you hit edit, things sound "normal" however after you record, the outputted "match" sounds weird and hollow again.

I duplicated this and eventually found out the cause. I had a stereo cab block with delay on one side. The TM block sums to mono so there was phase cancellation.

I may just go back to V9 for the time being and hope this issue gets addressed. Like I said in Heavyplayer's original thread that I linked to above, I had made sound clips of my favorite tones so I could use them for Tome-Matching in case V10 killed my patches. With a lot of experimenting & tweaking, I have gotten my main tone back to some degree, possibly as good as with V9. Every time I play it though, it's in the back of my mind that it sounded better before. I may just go back to V9 just to see if it is better.

EDIT -
I duplicated this and eventually found out the cause. I had a stereo cab block with delay on one side. The TM block sums to mono so there was phase cancellation.

Phase cancellation, that's what it sounds like! So we aren't crazy then (at least in regards to this). I knew I had heard that effect before, but couldn't think of what it was.

Thanks Cliff - I anxiously await the release of 10.01. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom