The Tour is over - Now I'm digging into 7.0!

So...no need for a capo anymore? :)
Maybe less need for a capo, but still not a replacement for it. A capo just pitch-shifts your strings. But a pitch shifter will shift your entire tone, including body resonances. It won't sound quite the same, especially when you're capo'ed/pitch-shifted on the higher frets.

Will this allow custom tunings ala Variax?

No.

People need to understand that this is not polyphonic pitch detection. It's just greatly improved pitch detection and commensurate pitch shifting. With most pitch shifting products things go haywire when you play, for example, a 7#9 or a 13th or other complex chords. The new pitch detector can detect the fundamental of complex chords which then allows the shifter to shift them musically.

Myself and the beta testers seem to feel that it's the best pitch detector/shifter for guitar now. It tracks way, way better than my Eclipse.

To do custom tunings you need a polyphonic detector and polyphonic shifter. IOW, you need to detect all the notes and then somehow extract each one and shift it individually. This is virtually impossible to do in real-time with a single audio stream. Things like Melodyne can do it off-line. I don't know how Melodyne works, maybe wavelet decomposition, but it's unreasonable to expect that kind of thing in real-time with current hardware, maybe in the future. To do it in real-time you need a polyphonic, i.e. hexaphonic, pickup. This is how the Variax and Roland products work. They apply a detection and shift to each string which is a much easier calculation since the audio from each string is monophonic. Detecting the fundamental of polyphonic material is a very difficult signal processing problem.

No.

People need to understand that this is not polyphonic pitch detection. It's just greatly improved pitch detection and commensurate pitch shifting. With most pitch shifting products things go haywire when you play, for example, a 7#9 or a 13th or other complex chords. The new pitch detector can detect the fundamental of complex chords which then allows the shifter to shift them musically.

Myself and the beta testers seem to feel that it's the best pitch detector/shifter for guitar now. It tracks way, way better than my Eclipse.

To do custom tunings you need a polyphonic detector and polyphonic shifter. IOW, you need to detect all the notes and then somehow extract each one and shift it individually. This is virtually impossible to do in real-time with a single audio stream. Things like Melodyne can do it off-line. I don't know how Melodyne works, maybe wavelet decomposition, but it's unreasonable to expect that kind of thing in real-time with current hardware, maybe in the future. To do it in real-time you need a polyphonic, i.e. hexaphonic, pickup. This is how the Variax and Roland products work. They apply a detection and shift to each string which is a much easier calculation since the audio from each string is monophonic. Detecting the fundamental of polyphonic material is a very difficult signal processing problem.

Thanks for the info Cliff... Maybe we could combine these two threads

No.

Cliff, can you tell me why in my mind you have the face of "Doc" (Emmett Brown) ???
seriously, for that kind of things i'm still running a hex pickup + roland VG-8 straight into the axe2.

Back
Top Bottom