The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

Hi there.

I got my GT800FX a month ago. I must say, this amp is awesome! Thank you all for spreading the word! It made my life so much easier!
There is one thing I wanted to ask, since I'm not the most technical guy:
Currently I'm using guitar cabinets with V30's or V60's in (Engl E412SS). In stereo, they got 16 ohm by each channel. Would you advice to change the wiring of my cabinets to 4 ohm (each channel) to get more power out of the Matrix? But if I do so, I have an 800 Watt amp for a 240 Watt cabinet. Isn't this a bit too much for the speakers?

Would you advice to change the wiring of my cabinets to 4 ohm (each channel) to get more power out of the Matrix? But if I do so, I have an 800 Watt amp for a 240 Watt cabinet. Isn't this a bit too much for the speakers?
Do you need more volume? If so rewire the cab otherwise forget about it!

If you keep your levels at -6dB before clipping your speakers will be safe, BTW your hear will bleed before damaging your cab.

@Everyone: second GT800FX in the mail \m/ \m/

And Theres a Matrix Forum on the way too - I know cos they've asked me to moderate it.

Great news. BTW, didn't you have V30 + H30 cab with Matrix (and Axe-fx)? Do you have any good presets to share for that combination? Just to get me started... I'm not quite satisfied of my presets yet, though im getting there slowly.

Just back off halls today, PM me your EMail and Ill send you a few I use. No necessarily that youll like them - there my flavour but hey. Any style particularly?

I used to use the return of my Marshall head to amplify my Axe for years now. After joining a second band I had to look for a better solution because I don't like to carry the hole stuff between the rehearsal places two times a week. After checking out a lot of SS amps I bought a Velocity 300. It has a nice punch, is loud enough and not expensive. Unfortunatly it is a heavy weight unit.

Out of curiosity I ordered a GT800FX. I've been highly sceptical but this is an amazing piece of gear. It's 1/3 weight of the Velocity 300, has balls and it sounds much more transparent without being harsh. I like it a lot.

Here are some pix comparing the sizes of Velocity 300 and GT800FX:

dw96sxwx.jpg

cwotkxkj.jpg

emzvgza4.jpg

I'm sure it's a great sounding amp but... Matrix seriously needs to rethink the look of the front panel. When you put it with another amp you can really see the difference. I'm having a hard time getting past the little Mackie looking EQ knobs they have used. Also the color seams a little on the grey side. I do like the layout of the back panel though, just say'n.

I'm sure it's a great sounding amp but... Matrix seriously needs to rethink the look of the front panel. When you put it with another amp you can really see the difference. I'm having a hard time getting past the little Mackie looking EQ knobs they have used. Also the color seams a little on the grey side. I do like the layout of the back panel though, just say'n.

+1

I have the amp, but it would look far nicer the same color as the Ax and with a couple of the output knobs you get on the Ax2 instead of the nasty grey ones on the Matrix.

Im sure it would be an easy job replacing them to something more aesthetically pleasing..maybe i'm just to fussy! :roll

Edit: Just tested and the grey knobs just pull right off, easily changed!! :)

Last edited:
Funny how anal we guys are about the looks of our rigs. We never clean the house, bathrooms are a mess, the garden needed mowing 3 years ago, yet our 19" racks and pedalboard labels need to look neat and coooooool! :)

I used to use the return of my Marshall head to amplify my Axe for years now. After joining a second band I had to look for a better solution because I don't like to carry the hole stuff between the rehearsal places two times a week. After checking out a lot of SS amps I bought a Velocity 300. It has a nice punch, is loud enough and not expensive. Unfortunatly it is a heavy weight unit.

Out of curiosity I ordered a GT800FX. I've been highly sceptical but this is an amazing piece of gear. It's 1/3 weight of the Velocity 300, has balls and it sounds much more transparent without being harsh. I like it a lot.

Here are some pix comparing the sizes of Velocity 300 and GT800FX:

Dave: could you elaborate a bit on the comparison of sound between the V300 and the GT800? I'm really curious about this.
Thanks.
Patrick

Ha well it's designed in the UK :D .We could have built it with a nice fashion look in France but it would not have work...

Joke aside it has a good look on stage with the red lights inside. After our last gig a guy told me that the tubes in my amp should have a problem as usually the color is orange and not red. Arff :D. I have responded that it was a new brand of tubes...:D

Dave: could you elaborate a bit on the comparison of sound between the V300 and the GT800? I'm really curious about this.
Thanks.
Patrick

It feels tighter. The response is not so "soft" compared to the Velocity. Overall sounding is more transparent at any level. Hard to describe.

Please don't get me wrong: The Velocity is not bad at all but the Matrix is even better IMO. A nice side effect: It stays cool all the time even after one hour fighting against a very loud drummer. :)

Actually, that was one of the reasons why I was attracted to the Matrix... it looked professional compared to the Rocktron. The Rocktron looks cheap by comparison. (to me) Just say'n... ;)

Actually, that was one of the reasons why I was attracted to the Matrix... it looked professional compared to the Rocktron. The Rocktron looks cheap by comparison. (to me) Just say'n... ;)

I prefer the look of the ART to ether one, clean and sleek though I could do without the 1,000,000 candle power blue LED they use... but it's just a look. I'm sure I will eventually move to a Matrix when I have some disposable income.

I HATE YOU ALL OF YOU !!!

Yesterday I made my order for the GT800FX ! :mrgreen

I've already got my GT800FX... no speaker to use with it though. :lol

Ordered my Atomic passive last night though, among various other things. There goes another $2.5k! :cry

Back
Top Bottom