The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

DADA

Experienced
MATRIX has decided to put all their knowledge and our feedback into a new amp version with the name GT800FX. This amp is made specifically for our use with the Axe-Fx and of course for the guitar modeling market.

For more information here is the link:
http://www.matrixamplification.com/...tent&view=article&id=1&Itemid=59&limitstart=1

And here how it all began:
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/31517-REVIEW-MATRIX-XT-800-vs-ART-SLA-2-And-the-winner-is-....
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/29263-MATRIX-XT-800-1U-Class-A-B-3.7-kg-250-RMS-ARRIVED

So there are basically 5 differences with the standard XT800's:

- Lower Fan noise at the first stage for bedroom playing
- Neutrik Combi Outs: Jacks and Speakons where the Speakons are advised to use when playing higher volumes
- Input Signal: Input sensitivity from 1,5v to 0.775V, in order to match typical signal levels seen with instrument amplification. The amp hears the Axe-Fx twice as better.
- The GT800FX has got the best OP amps available which also are used in top end mixing desks. This actually makes the amp even flatter and results in a less congested response across the frequency range used by our modeling gear.
- New name: GT800FX on the front of the amp.

And now: 110 or 230 volt versions available. (I can here the Canadians, Japanese, Australians and Americans smile) :D It should be mentioned that buyers outside the UK have to buy the power cord themselves.

And we still have:
- Weight: 3,7 Kg
- Power: 250 Watt/channel at 8 Ohm or 400 Watt/Channel at 4 Ohm
- Bridgeable 800 Watt at 8 Ohn
- Height 1U
- Jack/XLR input from Neutrik
- Frequency Respons 8Hz - 24kHz
- Class A/B Mosfet Output
- Stellar sound quality
- 2 quality and powerfull 2 stage long-life fans. So no extra free 1U (HE) space needed for cooling.
- Protection against Pop-Up and driver short- circuits and mis-wiring
- Fits perfectly with the Axe-Fx in a 3U (HE) rack and forms the lightest transportable solution in the market.

By a UK company that:
- Has a 30 year experience of amp designing and building (several 10 of thousands)
- Has a high quality building method and designs/builds the amp themselves.
- Are motivated to bring out amps where they are proud of! (Craftmanship).
- Knows what is going on in the amp world.
- Listen and understand their customers.
- Deliver instead of trying.
- And have a great sense of humor :lol
icon_lol.gif

Which gives:
The first 1U 19" SS-amp that masters the needed flat EQ for FRFR solutions AND comes dynamicly mighty close to high quality tube amps with your favorite guitar cab solution.

And this for less then 500 UK Pounds excl. shipping.

And you get 4 low rubber feet to reduce the height under the MFC-101 so it will fit better in a rack solution.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/mfc-1...-fit-midi-foot-controller-101-6u-he-rack.html

Unbelievable!

Last edited:
Great news.

My test XT800 turned up today.

I am going to ground for a few days to properly assess and compare the XT800 with my existing VHT amp.
I'll do my best to update as soon as I can.

So basically its a stock XT800 with the input sensitivity and fan speed changed and combi Output connectors right?
me likes
:)
Should get mine in a few days. Really can't wait.

Last edited:
So basically its a stock XT800 with the input sensitivity and fan speed changed and combi Output connectors right?
me likes
:)
Should get mine in a few days. Really can't wait.

Yep, and a different name!

Have fun and enjoy!

Great news.

My test XT800 turned up today.

I am going to ground for a few days to properly assess and compare the XT800 with my existing VHT amp.
I'll do my best to update as soon as I can.

Great news Octatronic!
Curious what your findings will be.
Although for me the new GT800FX is all I waited for.

Kind Regards

Thanks Dada- yeah I am pretty impressed so far with the input sensitivity change alone.

FWIW if you type 'Matrix GT800FX' into google you only get one result which is a link to this page.
This is an internet phenomenon called a 'Google Whack'.
They are pretty rare.

matrix_googlewhack.jpg

/nerd mode off.

Last edited:
THA THAAAAAAAA

GO TEST YOUR MODDED AMP you Australian! :mrgreen

I will call you Angus from now on ;)

I am pretty impressed so far with the input sensitivity change alone.

:D now i'm just gasing for something that's "already mine"

Can't wait for your findings.

Spoke to James today. It seems the input sensitivity alteration has fixed many of his reservations. The response has slowed slightly and the EQ curve has opened up a little. This doesnt surprise me as i have continued tweeking my Stock XT800.

I now have a pretty set pattern of changes to make my VHT based patches work with the XT. the only thing is dependant on guitar, pickup choice and gain level the tweekes are slightly differnt. i thought this was down to the IP sensitivity and that seems born out with James initial findings. Basically with the higher IP sensitivity of the Stock XTs gain, level and EQ changes (so PU selections and guitar changes) have less effect than with the VHTs sensitivity. With the change to the GTs sensitivity the two amps will react the same to a given change in these aspects.

i know james is still going to Matrix with the VHT, and slight tweeks may be made on site to "fine tune" the GT - but it may be these tweeks are not required and the small changes already made are enough.

im desperately trying NOT to send mine back yet - Im going to wait until James has visited and any other fine tuning is done - BUT its hard. Knowing how good the XT already is, and hearing James findings of such a simple change (I already have the Jack connectors and Modded Fan, so its only the sensitivity changes I require at present) i am getting itchy fingers.

Spoke to James today. It seems the input sensitivity alteration has fixed many of his reservations. The response has slowed slightly and the EQ curve has opened up a little. This doesnt surprise me as i have continued tweeking my Stock XT800.

I now have a pretty set pattern of changes to make my VHT based patches work with the XT. the only thing is dependant on guitar, pickup choice and gain level the tweekes are slightly differnt. i thought this was down to the IP sensitivity and that seems born out with James initial findings. Basically with the higher IP sensitivity of the Stock XTs gain, level and EQ changes (so PU selections and guitar changes) have less effect than with the VHTs sensitivity. With the change to the GTs sensitivity the two amps will react the same to a given change in these aspects.

i know james is still going to Matrix with the VHT, and slight tweeks may be made on site to "fine tune" the GT - but it may be these tweeks are not required and the small changes already made are enough.

im desperately trying NOT to send mine back yet - Im going to wait until James has visited and any other fine tuning is done - BUT its hard. Knowing how good the XT already is, and hearing James findings of such a simple change (I already have the Jack connectors and Modded Fan, so its only the sensitivity changes I require at present) i am getting itchy fingers.

What realy strikes me is that Andy Hunt the owner and founder of MATRIX amplification is able to alter this amp based on some telephone calls and emails from some users here. This must be due to his experience of thirty years of amp designing and 10 of thousends of amps building. HE knows what he is doing.

Andy and Matt: Respect!

Anyonne from Canada with a matrix XT800!?
I would like to know the price of the unit with shipping cost, customs etc!

Anyonne from Canada with a matrix XT800!?
I would like to know the price of the unit with shipping cost, customs etc!

Go to the website send an email to Matrix. Ask for the price and shippingcost. Get in contact with local customs ask for cost ad some paypal fee. And voila you have your price.

Yes some home work is needed ;)

I received my answer:
The UK stirling price for the gt800fx shall be £490, excluding shipping, so around 780$ Can + shippping.
The only major problem that I see is that they would use UPS to ship to Canada. And if you're from Canada
like I am, you always try to avoid UPS from other country! The brokerage fee cost is ridiculous!

I received my answer:
The UK stirling price for the gt800fx shall be £490, excluding shipping, so around 780$ Can + shippping.
The only major problem that I see is that they would use UPS to ship to Canada. And if you're from Canada
like I am, you always try to avoid UPS from other country! The brokerage fee cost is ridiculous!

Speak to them about that.
So far they have been extremely accommodating to everyone.

I received my answer:

Well I just read on their website that a £50 discount available for customers who pre-order before the batch is completed.

They even make it the Canadians simple to decide :p

Back
Top Bottom