The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

share the "balls" with the audience rather to keep that sound just for me on stage..
If you want a good, consistent and professional sound go direct to front.

If you mic your cab you will "loose" the "balls" anyway.
If you go direct you know what you are feeding to the front and your sound will never get screwed by a minimal mic movement.

Thanks Yek an GIRa, obviously with IRs going direct to FOH is the better solution, but to reformulate my question, are you still using cab simulation with the Matrix and EVM12l? It sound like the response is yes...

At the moment I'm not using any cab sims with the EVMs (Out2).

I do use cab sims on the "direct" channel (Out1). Either the Ownhammer EVM IR TC30 #1 which takes me very close to the tone of my real EVMs., or EVM SM57 #4 for a "mic'd" tone.
That's what I use at the moment for my live tones.

At home I'm using various Ownhammer IRs.

Sorry if it's a silly question but are there any issues with having the Ultra stacked on top of the Matrix GT800FX in a 3u rack? That way, (with the Matrix on the bottom I mean - it's much shallower in depth than the Ultra), there's more space for the multi socket at the back of the rack. Any issues?

Indeed, will an Axe 2 in fact, fit into a 14" shallow depth rack? Heard it's deeper but not sure how much.

Last edited:
The Matrix should be fine wherever its in the rack. It's never got remotely warm for me even after a couple of hours gigging. The fans do their job well. As for the Axe II, I think the specs are in the manual ststing dimensions. IIRC it does just fit but you may need to unplug cables etc so the rack lid will go on. Check the dimensions and measure up just to be on the safe side I'd say.

The Matrix should be fine wherever its in the rack. It's never got remotely warm for me even after a couple of hours gigging. The fans do their job well. As for the Axe II, I think the specs are in the manual ststing dimensions. IIRC it does just fit but you may need to unplug cables etc so the rack lid will go on. Check the dimensions and measure up just to be on the safe side I'd say.

Cheers lightningboy, appreciated. While I'm at it and slightly off thread, will this multi-socket fit into the back of the rack do you know? Bear in mind the lead sticks out from the side too. Just sold my 6U so can't measure up :(

Tacima CS929 6 Way Mains Conditioner RFI Filter Surge on eBay (end time 07-Aug-11 12:58:55 BST)

Dimensions: 420mm long x 65mm wide x 33mm deep. Seller states - "The body of the unit is just over 16.5" in length".
I can actually get the rack custom-sized. Would 15" depth (as opposed to 14"), avoid any future issues with the Axe 2 cables and the lids/ on a stand? Or even 14 1/2"? The more compact the better! :)

Thanks again man.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, may be just a bit too long with the cable coming out to fit properly. I use a surge protecter similar to this one BELKIN 820UK Surge Protector buy online | Currys Shorter length and the cable can wind around it in the rack lid.

Basically drilled two holes above and below either side and strapped in with the big cable ties. Tried glue and all sorts before to make it fit snuggly into the lid but cable tie-ing is probably the best.
If the Axe II is 14" depth then it'll just reach the end of the rack, and it's best to factor that the power strip and plugs will take up the depth of the lid, so I'd probably go for the extra 1" that the custom size would give you. At least with right angled cables you may be able to leave them in whilst packing down.

Has anybody been using the GT800FX with a couple of passive Atomic Wedges? How's the sound and volume? I've also read that the powered cabinets aren't great with detuned guitars, is that improved with passive wedges and a solid state amplifier?

Hmmmm, may be just a bit too long with the cable coming out to fit properly. I use a surge protecter similar to this one BELKIN 820UK Surge Protector buy online | Currys Shorter length and the cable can wind around it in the rack lid.

Basically drilled two holes above and below either side and strapped in with the big cable ties. Tried glue and all sorts before to make it fit snuggly into the lid but cable tie-ing is probably the best.
If the Axe II is 14" depth then it'll just reach the end of the rack, and it's best to factor that the power strip and plugs will take up the depth of the lid, so I'd probably go for the extra 1" that the custom size would give you. At least with right angled cables you may be able to leave them in whilst packing down.

Thanks a lot lightning, appreciated man.

Has anybody been using the GT800FX with a couple of passive Atomic Wedges? How's the sound and volume? I've also read that the powered cabinets aren't great with detuned guitars, is that improved with passive wedges and a solid state amplifier?

Been waiting for a definitive review on that as your one of a few people asking about the Atomic passives. I suppose in theory the higher damping factor with a solid state amp would control the lower end of the speaker better but not having tried the actives either, I couldn't give a definite opinion. Hell, I may just buy a passive wedge just for reviewing, I was looking into them anyway!! lol

My interest has peaked concerning the Matrix, but I believe it's about $800 shipped to the US? That is definitely used Mesa 50/50 territory, $200 more than a new Carvin TS100 and close to the price of the new Atomic stereo rack power amp coming out... BUT, it's 1U and SS.
Anyone done any more head to head vs. other great power amps? I know DADA or something did one against a VHT.
EDIT: their site mentions a new distributor slated for the US? Anyone have any more information on this?

Last edited:
Im interested in hearing how significant the difference between the GT800FX and the XT500 is?? I know the GT800 is designed specifically for guitars, where as the XT500 is not so the input is different.. but im not really super picky about my poweramp (of course I want something better than the Velocity or SLA-1) but money is a big factor so if I could find a used XT500 for a lot cheaper and theres not a huge significant difference, I'd be happy with that.

I just want a 1U poweramp that weights under 10 lbs, only option other than these Matrix's are the Carvin DCM200 which I would get (really liked the 1540L) but 200w isnt enough for me. its a shame there isnt a DCM500 1U or so, that'd be great and affordable, and good enough for me most likely.

My interest has peaked concerning the Matrix, but I believe it's about $800 shipped to the US? That is definitely used Mesa 50/50 territory, $200 more than a new Carvin TS100 and close to the price of the new Atomic stereo rack power amp coming out... BUT, it's 1U and SS.
Anyone done any more head to head vs. other great power amps? I know DADA or something did one against a VHT.
EDIT: their site mentions a new distributor slated for the US? Anyone have any more information on this?

I know that most people that have the Matrix have either A/B'ed or previously owned all the other major players with regards amps. PaulMapp and Octatonic had the VHT and later Smilefan & Claxor performed a shootout. Theres also other users who've had Sla's, Engl's. Myself I've had Stewart Audio and the Peavey Classic 50/50. The Matrix has held it's own incredibly well against the tube amps and in most cases become the preferred choice due to its power, weight size and sound.

With regards to a US distributor, I know Matrix were certainly looking at that avenue. I noticed on Matrix's Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/MatrixAmplification that they posed the question of who we'd like as a distributor on there. Maybe this has some bearing but it looks like some wheels are in motion!

Im interested in hearing how significant the difference between the GT800FX and the XT500 is?? I know the GT800 is designed specifically for guitars, where as the XT500 is not so the input is different.. but im not really super picky about my poweramp (of course I want something better than the Velocity or SLA-1) but money is a big factor so if I could find a used XT500 for a lot cheaper and theres not a huge significant difference, I'd be happy with that.

I just want a 1U poweramp that weights under 10 lbs, only option other than these Matrix's are the Carvin DCM200 which I would get (really liked the 1540L) but 200w isnt enough for me. its a shame there isnt a DCM500 1U or so, that'd be great and affordable, and good enough for me most likely.

Where are you based Skyze?

Obviously the XT500 will be more akin to the XT800 in response and sound. IIRC I think Enzo Sutera posted 2 IR's of the GT and XT earlier on in the thread, so maybe as a starting point have a listen and compare the difference. There's also the option of having the same upgrades performed on the XT500 as on the GT but obviously, cost would factor in here. I'm sure as the Matrix becomes more readily available then the second hand market will also, but given this is a product just a few months old, it may be a bit of a wait.

Canada, so chances are getting either the XT's or GT is going to be a difficult challenge, but at least a used XT would probably be cheaper not only in cost, but since its not from the factory, shipping/customs will generally be better (same reason I would never order anything from Fractal themselves since they only use horrible shipping services to canada like fedex/ups)

Last edited:
I know TM have been approached - that was a while back, but I suppose it takes time to sort out the small print. does make sense though.

Back
Top Bottom