The new MATRIX GT800FX. THE amp for THE Axe-Fx

Just wondering how many fans are inside the matrix. I can see 2 from the outside,but these two are not moving. Now the surprise: I can here some fan noise? am I stupid or are there any other components inside?

Cheers
PhillAnselmo

Just those 2. They will be working even though they look like they aren't moving. Try putting your hand over them and feel the air blowing or some paper. No fans inside, just heatsinks.

The Fans you THINK you can see arnt fans :)

There shaped like fans but are in fact grill covers to stop you putting your fingers in. The fans blades themselves are mounted behind the plastic "guids" you think are the fans.

There are two small fans because you get better airflow, and can use two heat sink channels (one for each channels amp device) with that configuration agains one bigger fan.

Well, had an EMail from Si, as hes trying to sell his Matrix following the sale of his Axe. Well, I say try but hes not having to try hard. Apparently there are LOTS of enquiries :)

Lots of enquiries but no offers or buyers.. This might be harder to shift than I initially thought.

Anyone looking for a spare :)

I am also going to take Jay's advice and program two switches on my MFC to raise/lower the amp block level control so I can adjust it easily during performance if necessary.

Make sure you upgrade to the latest MFC-101 firmware so you can use the new "OFF" value for the IA switch CCs off-message. Otherwise, each tap of the IA switch is interpreted as 2 ticks of the VOL INCR/VOL DECR

Just done some recording today and for some extra "vibe" the bassist ran through the Ultra into my FRFR cab via the Matrix. Think we've got another bassist converted over to the Matrix! Hopefully try and run through his cabs and see if we can get some video of it. Shame the Axe had just one bass amp sim in otherwise he'd have probably wanted one of those as well! lol

I tried the axe-fx + matrix + swr goliath 4x10 with a Warwick Bass yesterday and the results are completly usable. So i have a SWR SM-500 for sale :). I just used normal mode, but i think for this combination the briged mode would be nice. Does somebody knows where to get a suitable cable for bridged mode or do i have to make one by my self.

Cheers,
PhillAnselmo

Make it yourself, or get a local tech to do it. all your doing is putting a speakon connector on one end of your speaker lad - wired as per the Matrix Manual.

Yeah it's very easy. Just lop one end of a 1/4" to 1/4" off and strip the wires. The speakons wont even require soldering, just screw down like a normal plug! Simples!! May be an idea to colour code it though in case you have other jack to speakons. Avoids a mix up and possible sound issues/damage.

GT800FX with Koch Cab

I'm intrested to hear what you think about this (GT800FX with Koch Cab) combination, because i will also use soon to come Matrix with Koch 212 closed cab. I have changed one speaker to G12H heritage though. I'm using Axe standard BTW.

Last edited:
My cab isnt a koch, but it is a 2x12 with a V30 and a G12H (aniversary in my case). Sounds great with the Matrix.

my mate has a GT800FX, and is also waiting for the AXF2. Hes runing his with a Digitech GSP 1101 for now. Sounds really good apparently, it into an Orange 2x12 with V30s, and his Thunderverb head hasnt been out of the house since he got the GT.

it has 2 removable back pannels, so can be open, 3/4 or closed back. Ran it 3/4 for a year or so - but am now running it in closed back format.

My cab isnt a koch, but it is a 2x12 with a V30 and a G12H (aniversary in my case). Sounds great with the Matrix.

my mate has a GT800FX, and is also waiting for the AXF2. Hes runing his with a Digitech GSP 1101 for now. Sounds really good apparently, it into an Orange 2x12 with V30s, and his Thunderverb head hasnt been out of the house since he got the GT.

Thanks again. I have couple of questions still:
1) How high can you put Matrix channel volume (I think i will drive Matrix mono at first) with those speakers? Rough estimation is good enough. I would not want to blow any speakers... I have to 16ohm speaker in paraller wiring, so the cab is 8ohm.
2) How do you set your Axe-fx; do you use cab or poweramp simulation? Sorry if you have answer these questions allready, but i don't have a time to look thru over 60 pages.

Last edited:
Thanks again. I have couple of questions still:
1) How high can you put Matrix channel volume (I think i will drive Matrix mono at first) with those speakers? Rough estimation is good enough. I would not want to blow any speakers... I have to 16ohm speaker in paraller wiring, so the cab is 8ohm.
2) How do you set your Axe-fx; do you use cab or poweramp simulation? Sorry if you have answer these questions allready, but i don't have a time to look thru over 60 pages.

Paul may be better answering question one as he knows the correct way to set the Db down in the global .
With regards q2, with a normal guitar speaker you'll want to run cab sims off although guys with the EV12L speakers are finding great success with some speakers sims added. Power amp sims on though.

As a extra piece of info, I spoke to Matt today to just make sure of something before trying it. Matt confirmed the Matrix will run perfectly happy bridged at 16ohms (obviously at a reduced power). It will also happily run each channel with a different impedence, say a 16ohm speaker on the left channel and an 8ohm speaker on the right. Will also happily run anything from 4ohms upwards including mismatched or inbetween impedences (say 12ohm).

With regards levels, and set-ups.

I run the Matrix flat out - best way with power amps IMO, however you need to reduce the feed from the Axe to compensate. Ultimately I dont suppose it matters whether youreduce the Matrix of the Axe levels.

i set the Matrix full, AND the Axe full. I then set the "gain" level in the Global out down as far as it goes and play into the Marix (you dont need speakers attacked like a valve power amp - so the speakers are not at risk during set-up).

The "signal" light on the Matrix lights up with a -9db output (it is the output signal NO input - so High Axe/Low Matrix or Low Axe/High Matrix give the same result). Into an 8 Ohms cab, that equates to 30W ish. I set this with my loudest patch, but my solo vol not used - and then raise the gain in global until that signal light starts to light. That way Im pushing 30W into my cab when both Matrix and Axe front knobs are set to max. Engaging my col solo boost upps the signal by 3db - giving me 60W which is what my cab will handle.

Doing it this way - rather than turning th MAtrix down (or axe front knob for that matter) is Im not tempted to "just turn it up a little more". When knobs are full up, Im at max O/P for my cab.

if your cab is higher - 120W (2 x V30s) for instance, then you can increase you "global Gain" level once you have the flashing light. 3db = double power. So, set your loudest patch - even with max vol boosts too. Raise the global gain until the light flashes - thats 30w, then you can go abnother 6db up (+3db = 60W, +6db = 120W) if your using a 4x12 with V30s - you have a 240W cab - so youcan go up another 3db.

With regards levels, and set-ups.

I run the Matrix flat out - best way with power amps IMO, however you need to reduce the feed from the Axe to compensate. Ultimately I dont suppose it matters whether youreduce the Matrix of the Axe levels.

i set the Matrix full, AND the Axe full. I then set the "gain" level in the Global out down as far as it goes and play into the Marix (you dont need speakers attacked like a valve power amp - so the speakers are not at risk during set-up).

The "signal" light on the Matrix lights up with a -9db output (it is the output signal NO input - so High Axe/Low Matrix or Low Axe/High Matrix give the same result). Into an 8 Ohms cab, that equates to 30W ish. I set this with my loudest patch, but my solo vol not used - and then raise the gain in global until that signal light starts to light. That way Im pushing 30W into my cab when both Matrix and Axe front knobs are set to max. Engaging my col solo boost upps the signal by 3db - giving me 60W which is what my cab will handle.

Doing it this way - rather than turning th MAtrix down (or axe front knob for that matter) is Im not tempted to "just turn it up a little more". When knobs are full up, Im at max O/P for my cab.

if your cab is higher - 120W (2 x V30s) for instance, then you can increase you "global Gain" level once you have the flashing light. 3db = double power. So, set your loudest patch - even with max vol boosts too. Raise the global gain until the light flashes - thats 30w, then you can go abnother 6db up (+3db = 60W, +6db = 120W) if your using a 4x12 with V30s - you have a 240W cab - so youcan go up another 3db.

Great info! I was scared that i need a power load for unused channel. Is it best to use Matrix in mono or stereo (Axe to Matrix input 1 -- Matrix output 1 to guitar cab) mode, or does it really matter? I swear this is my last stupid question...

Back
Top Bottom